• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Please Help Me Decide What Motorcycle to Buy.

An old used car, they don't automatically break down. Maybe check with the A I website again.................lol
Thank you 750dct. I did ask the A I website about second-hand cars and it recommended that I check out second-hand cars on Cars.com (among some other websites). I spent a couple of hours on Cars.com and found quite a few cars for under $8,000. Most of them are cars from the early 2000s with an average of 150,000 miles on them. None of the cars are "certified" but the carfax reports on most of them showed no prior accidents. So, I am still thinking.

Last edited:
Now, the AK550i is priced at almost the same as it costs to buy a 2023 Honda NC750X DCT, and I am not sure if it would be wise for me to buy the AK550i when I can get the Honda NC for the same price.

These bikes are very different to each other. Accordingly comparing them on price alone might not be ideal. Imho the belt drive scooter is an easier machine for a total beginner to commence riding on. On the web I see that the X Max 300 "will easily cruise at 70mph ". For top speed I reckon realistically about 85mph. See attached....

Thank you 750dct. I did ask the A I website about second-hand cars and it recommended that I check out second-hand cars on Cars.com (among some other websites). I spent a couple of hours on Cars.com and found quite a few cars for under $8,000. Most of them are cars from the early 2000s with an average of 150,000 miles on them. None of the cars are "certified" but the carfax reports on most of them showed no prior accidents. So, I am still thinking.
Do you have to pay cash? A small Nissan Versa starts at 15,600 new. If you have 25% down I’m sure you can finance the rest for not tons of money. Figure you need to get through 1 year with an old car to find a job and get yourself established in law. From there sell the junker and buy a new one. I am going to really recommend buying a car versus a bike. I love riding but I’m also very thankful I have a choice between the bike and car.

Thank you LanceK. I will call Dave tomorrow Sunday and let you know what I learned. But, forgive me for asking, who is Dave?
Dave Ramsey. Ask your AI friend about a ‘Dave car’ it’s a term Dave Ramsey coined.

Also, for a 3 mile commute, have you thought about walking or riding a bike?

Why can’t your daughter come see you instead of you going every week?

I agree with the others, but a used car.

Wow mzflorida. Thank you so very much for your impressive and comprehensive review of scooters. You must be an expert whose advice, in my view, carries a lot of weight.
I am very much impressed by your assessment of the 2022 AK 550i Kymco. I went online and checked for the availability of this scooter in my area. (I live in Galveston, TX). There is a dealer about 90 miles from me in Houston who is selling a 2023 AK550i ABS Base at $10,399.00. He also has a 2022 X-Town 300i ABS Base selling for $4,999.00. Now, the AK550i is priced at almost the same as it costs to buy a 2023 Honda NC750X DCT, and I am not sure if it would be wise for me to buy the AK550i when I can get the Honda NC for the same price. What do you think? However, the 2023 KYMCO X-Town 330i ABS at $4,999.00 has a lot of appeal to me. But I am not sure if the X-Town 330i will be a safe ride if I take it on the highway and ride 130 miles to visit my daughter once a week and then ride back another 130 miles home. People on Texas highways drive almost 75 to 80 mph. What do you think? Do you think the 300i will take me on a highway ride safely for a total of 260 miles every week? Thank you, and I am very grateful to you for your illuminating/educational reply.
Well, I am not really an expert but definitely an enthusiast. That said, there are contributors to this forum who could certainly be classified as experts. This is the way I look at it. If you are comfortable with the purchase of either the NC or the AK based on the inherent value each offers, the decision is subjective. The NC is tall with a relatively low center of gravity. The AK is a skosh lower with a substantially lower center of gravity than the NC meaning it might be a bit better in handling and theoretically easier to move around the garage. The AK is step through, so it is likely easier for most to mount and dismount than the NC. Acceleration would be similar. Scooters are often regarded as being more comfortable, but that again is subjective. Maintenance is a bit less on teh AK than the NC (negligible). Owners of both bikes on multiple forums adore their machines (I really like both the NC and the Xmax I own). I am unsure if the latest iteration of the NC has navigation or not but the AK does, which might be nice for the trips to visit your daughter. Both have storage but the AK has substantially more, and definitely enough to accommodate a rider's needs for a few-day-trip (e.g. clothes, toiletries, water, etc..) You can purchase luggage solutions for the NC; some options being $100 others over a $1000.

I have not heard much about the 300i, but it has all been positive. In terms of taking it on the highway, the answer is yes. I have taken the Xmax on the expressway to get to another exit or two but it's not my favorite thing to do. This point is where the experts can weigh in because there are subjective and objective elements that need to be considered. Here is a link to a forum on www.advrider.com https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/kymco-xtown-300i.1367641/

Interestingly enough, there is a friend of mine who posts on advrider who just made the decision to go car free (just in the past couple of weeks). His circumstances and conditions are different than yours but worth chiming in on the conversation. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/i-am-officially-“car-free”….1633293/page-4#post-47519441

There are hundreds of pages on the Xmax 300 over there. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/new-xmax-300.1256178/

This is the link to the AK forum over there. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/kymco-ak550-in-the-usa-for-2021.1470001/

I am trying to find an AK to test ride this week. I'll let you now how it turns out. I hope this was helpful.

Hello:
I am in desperate need of advice and guidance and I will be grateful to anyone of you who is willing to guide me.
My daughter got her driver's license and started college two months ago. I couldn't financially buy her a car, so I gave her my own car keys, and ever since I have been taking the bus to work and back. While bussing has been an experience, it is not sustainable because it adds to my commuting time by 3 hours! I am not in a position to buy myself a new car right now, and I don't want to buy a second-hand car. Instead, I thought I buy a new motorcycle because I can afford it and I felt like I could bike to work and to grocery stores for a couple of years until I buy a new car.
I have done a lot of research on motorcycles over the past two months and I narrowed down my options to Rebel 500, Rebel 1100 DCT, or NC750X DCT.
I decided against the Rebel 500 because it does not have a DCT. Also, it may not be as comfortable a ride on the freeways as the other two.
I am not sure about the Rebel 1100 DCT because I hear that it is not suitable for a beginner like me who has no prior experience in motorcycling. It has too much power.
I visited an Artificial Intelligence (AI) website called "Chatgpt" and I asked it what was the best touring motorcycle with DCT features for a beginner motorcyclist and it suggested the Honda NC750X DCT. Basically, the AI website revealed to me that the NC750X is the best all-around workhorse for a beginner. Further research on this bike only confirmed the findings of the AI website, namely that the NC750X is indeed a hidden gem about which very few people know.
I am a 59-year-old male, I weigh 130 lb. My workplace is 3 miles away from my house. I work in an office (an attorney) and I need to be in business suits. I will be visiting my daughter who lives 130 miles from me once a week and I need to ride on highways and freeways.
Please help me decide: would you buy the Rebel 1100 DCL or the NC750X DCL if you were in my shoes?
I am grateful to you.
Shahram
You are screaming for a scooter which I have owned many. My most recent scoots, both the Forza 300 and Xmax 300 would be best for you. What you are saying makes no sense. You can't afford a new car but want to spend $10,000 plus on a motorcycle? Buy a used car but if you want to keep the commute fun then buy a scooter. A 300cc scooter will do the job, it did for me. My thoughts.

I’m doing my best to understand the mindset here, but I’m still struggling. It’s my fault, because I apparently think in different ways as to how to make ends meet when there are limitations. The key situation here is, “I am not in a position to buy myself a new car right now, and I don't want to buy a second-hand car. Instead, I thought I buy a new motorcycle because I can afford it and I felt like I could bike to work and to grocery stores for a couple of years until I buy a new car.”

I read from this that there may be an impression that a new motorcycle can function as equivalent transportation, but at less cost, for three years until a new automobile can be purchased. I believe this is false, because motorcycles are expensive to maintain, require extra gear, and do not offer weather protection, security, safety, and equivalent cargo and passenger capability. A car, being much more mainstream and mass produced, offers more value and utility for the money. Motorcycles are specialty items in the USA; people here mostly buy them as toys. I assume that because of the financial limitations described, that the new car purchased in three years will replace, not supplement, the motorcycle. Thus, there will be a huge depreciation hit at that point once the new motorcycle is traded for a new car.

The financially responsible solution is to remove the requirement that a car must be new. A used, perhaps compact or subcompact sized, car fits perfectly into this equation. My wife and I bought a used subcompact car 7 years ago for around $7000. (Granted, used car prices are higher today, but so are new car prices). We use it as an efficient daily driver, and expect to very easily get to 200,000 miles and 5 more years out of it before we buy an electric car. In terms of value and utility for the money, that blows away any new car or motorcycle purchase option, and certainly, totally blows away a two step process involving a new motorcycle, then a new car.

If still set on a motorcycle, buy used and you don’t take such a hit when you sell. You can also dip your feet into motorcycle ownership with the least amount of financial risk, to see if you even like it. Don’t get me wrong, I love motorcycles and scooters, but not as primary transportation.

I thought you would like this Used 2001 Honda Civic EX for $4500 on Autotrader http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/28469288

Lots of good choices out there

As far as certified used goes, I bought a certified used car once, after having it a while it’s clear it was rear ended at one point which wasn’t on carfax it also required several visits to the shop for repairs due to neglect, the repairs were covered under warranty, but I was still out of a car while repairs were made. I say that to show that carfax really shouldn’t be trusted not all wrecks are reported. I’ve still got the car, drive it 134 miles every day, just crossed 150,000 miles and I’d drive it anywhere. My truck just passed 315,000 miles (2001 F250) I used it to pull my fifth wheel RV from Texas to South Dakota for vacation last summer.

Used cars can be trusted.

A used Civic or Corolla is a pretty safe bet if under 100,000 miles. Heck, I put 200,000 + on all my Hondas when I was in over the road sales for 24 1/2 years (91 Accord, 96 Accord, 2003 Civic, 2006 Civic, and my wife had an Accord, a CRV and an Odyssey Van she put close to 200K on each of them driving to from work). If I were going to buy a new car today, I'd go out and pick up a new Civic or Accord.

Another thought: If you ask your AI about “the best touring motorcycle with DCT features for a beginner motorcyclist”, it is natural that it returns a result of NC750X DCT, because that is really the only motorcycle currently available new in the USA that fits the criteria. DCT is very rare in the US motorcycle market, with Honda the only maker, and with only three engine/transmission combinations to choose from. Two of the three being large and unsuitable for beginners, that leaves just one. It doesn’t take an AI to reach that conclusion. You could say the NC750X DCT is the “best” mid size motorcycle with DCT, because currently, in the US market, it is the only one there is.

Last edited:
These bikes are very different to each other. Accordingly comparing them on price alone might not be ideal. Imho the belt drive scooter is an easier machine for a total beginner to commence riding on. On the web I see that the X Max 300 "will easily cruise at 70mph ". For top speed I reckon realistically about 85mph. See attached....

Thank you Griff. The video you posted opened my eyes to scooters. I never thought that a scooter could be used on the highway but the XMAX300 is different. I am grateful to you.

Do you have to pay cash? A small Nissan Versa starts at 15,600 new. If you have 25% down I’m sure you can finance the rest for not tons of money. Figure you need to get through 1 year with an old car to find a job and get yourself established in law. From there sell the junker and buy a new one. I am going to really recommend buying a car versus a bike. I love riding but I’m also very thankful I have a choice between the bike and car.
Thank you for your reply. I do have to pay cash because I am at my limit and cannot take on another installment loan. I am grateful to you. You guys on here are amazing.

Well, I am not really an expert but definitely an enthusiast. That said, there are contributors to this forum who could certainly be classified as experts. This is the way I look at it. If you are comfortable with the purchase of either the NC or the AK based on the inherent value each offers, the decision is subjective. The NC is tall with a relatively low center of gravity. The AK is a skosh lower with a substantially lower center of gravity than the NC meaning it might be a bit better in handling and theoretically easier to move around the garage. The AK is step through, so it is likely easier for most to mount and dismount than the NC. Acceleration would be similar. Scooters are often regarded as being more comfortable, but that again is subjective. Maintenance is a bit less on teh AK than the NC (negligible). Owners of both bikes on multiple forums adore their machines (I really like both the NC and the Xmax I own). I am unsure if the latest iteration of the NC has navigation or not but the AK does, which might be nice for the trips to visit your daughter. Both have storage but the AK has substantially more, and definitely enough to accommodate a rider's needs for a few-day-trip (e.g. clothes, toiletries, water, etc..) You can purchase luggage solutions for the NC; some options being $100 others over a $1000.

I have not heard much about the 300i, but it has all been positive. In terms of taking it on the highway, the answer is yes. I have taken the Xmax on the expressway to get to another exit or two but it's not my favorite thing to do. This point is where the experts can weigh in because there are subjective and objective elements that need to be considered. Here is a link to a forum on www.advrider.com https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/kymco-xtown-300i.1367641/

Interestingly enough, there is a friend of mine who posts on advrider who just made the decision to go car free (just in the past couple of weeks). His circumstances and conditions are different than yours but worth chiming in on the conversation. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/i-am-officially-“car-free”….1633293/page-4#post-47519441

There are hundreds of pages on the Xmax 300 over there. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/new-xmax-300.1256178/

This is the link to the AK forum over there. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/kymco-ak550-in-the-usa-for-2021.1470001/

I am trying to find an AK to test ride this week. I'll let you now how it turns out. I hope this was helpful.
Thank you mzflorida. You always give me a wealth of good information and resources. I am grateful to you. You guys on this site are amazing.

You are screaming for a scooter which I have owned many. My most recent scoots, both the Forza 300 and Xmax 300 would be best for you. What you are saying makes no sense. You can't afford a new car but want to spend $10,000 plus on a motorcycle? Buy a used car but if you want to keep the commute fun then buy a scooter. A 300cc scooter will do the job, it did for me. My thoughts.
Thank you Roadkill for your reply. I am going to reconsider my thought process in light of your comment. It may be that I am making a hasty decision about motorcycles without having the proper information which you guys are giving me on this site. I am grateful to you.

I’m doing my best to understand the mindset here, but I’m still struggling. It’s my fault, because I apparently think in different ways as to how to make ends meet when there are limitations. The key situation here is, “I am not in a position to buy myself a new car right now, and I don't want to buy a second-hand car. Instead, I thought I buy a new motorcycle because I can afford it and I felt like I could bike to work and to grocery stores for a couple of years until I buy a new car.”

I read from this that there may be an impression that a new motorcycle can function as equivalent transportation, but at less cost, for three years until a new automobile can be purchased. I believe this is false, because motorcycles are expensive to maintain, require extra gear, and do not offer weather protection, security, safety, and equivalent cargo and passenger capability. A car, being much more mainstream and mass produced, offers more value and utility for the money. Motorcycles are specialty items in the USA; people here mostly buy them as toys. I assume that because of the financial limitations described, that the new car purchased in three years will replace, not supplement, the motorcycle. Thus, there will be a huge depreciation hit at that point once the new motorcycle is traded for a new car.

The financially responsible solution is to remove the requirement that a car must be new. A used, perhaps compact or subcompact sized, car fits perfectly into this equation. My wife and I bought a used subcompact car 7 years ago for around $7000. (Granted, used car prices are higher today, but so are new car prices). We use it as an efficient daily driver, and expect to very easily get to 200,000 miles and 5 more years out of it before we buy an electric car. In terms of value and utility for the money, that blows away any new car or motorcycle purchase option, and certainly, totally blows away a two step process involving a new motorcycle, then a new car.

If still set on a motorcycle, buy used and you don’t take such a hit when you sell. You can also dip your feet into motorcycle ownership with the least amount of financial risk, to see if you even like it. Don’t get me wrong, I love motorcycles and scooters, but not as primary transportation.
Thank you 670cc. Your comment made me stop and rethink things. I think you may be right about me being better off getting a second-hand car. You and others on this site are amazing. I am grateful to you.

I thought you would like this Used 2001 Honda Civic EX for $4500 on Autotrader http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/28469288

Lots of good choices out there

As far as certified used goes, I bought a certified used car once, after having it a while it’s clear it was rear ended at one point which wasn’t on carfax it also required several visits to the shop for repairs due to neglect, the repairs were covered under warranty, but I was still out of a car while repairs were made. I say that to show that carfax really shouldn’t be trusted not all wrecks are reported. I’ve still got the car, drive it 134 miles every day, just crossed 150,000 miles and I’d drive it anywhere. My truck just passed 315,000 miles (2001 F250) I used it to pull my fifth wheel RV from Texas to South Dakota for vacation last summer.

Used cars can be trusted.
Thank you LanceK for opening my eyes to Autotrader. I think you are right. Maybe I should be getting a second-hand car. I am going to check out Autotrader and thank you for letting me know that not every accident is reported to carfax. I am grateful to you.

A used Civic or Corolla is a pretty safe bet if under 100,000 miles. Heck, I put 200,000 + on all my Hondas when I was in over the road sales for 24 1/2 years (91 Accord, 96 Accord, 2003 Civic, 2006 Civic, and my wife had an Accord, a CRV and an Odyssey Van she put close to 200K on each of them driving to from work). If I were going to buy a new car today, I'd go out and pick up a new Civic or Accord.
Thank you Ferret. You made me reconsider buying a motorcycle. I am going to check out Honda Civic/Corolla with under 100,000 miles on them. I am grateful to you. You guys on here are amazing.

Another thought: If you ask your AI about “the best touring motorcycle with DCT features for a beginner motorcyclist”, it is natural that it returns a result of NC750X DCT, because that is really the only motorcycle currently available new in the USA that fits the criteria. DCT is very rare in the US motorcycle market, with Honda the only maker, and with only three engine/transmission combinations to choose from. Two of the three being large and unsuitable for beginners, that leaves just one. It doesn’t take an AI to reach that conclusion. You could say the NC750X DCT is the “best” mid size motorcycle with DCT, because currently, in the US market, it is the only one there is.
Thank you 670cc. I am grateful to you for your advice and suggestions.

Shahram, this might be a silly question but what’s your level of experience in riding motorcycles and also mechanical maintenance?

Back