• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Please Help Me Decide What Motorcycle to Buy.

I just checked Carvana … I got 111 hits for cars under $12,125 and 85,000 miles or less. Carvana doesn’t sell cars that have been in wrecks.

I just checked Carvana … I got 111 hits for cars under $12,125 and 85,000 miles or less. Carvana doesn’t sell cars that have been in wrecks.
If I wreck my car, don’t report it, fix it myself how would carvana know the difference? No doubt they do their very best not to buy/sell them, but there are some that get through no doubt. No different than any other dealer (excluding the dishonest ones).

Shahram, this might be a silly question but what’s your level of experience in riding motorcycles and also mechanical maintenance?
Hey Rabbit:
I have to say I have no experience riding a motorcycle, except that I used to ride a Suzuki 50cc dirt/mountain bike for two years on the streets of London, England in my youth, some 30 years ago. I have zero fixing and maintenance experience. However, I don't think experience with a 50cc bike counts when compared to you guys on this website. But I remember I had a wonderful time riding that 50cc on the streets of London every day, going to school and to work after school. It had so much power in the street/urban high-traffic areas that it would turn heads and it looked big and powerful. I only realized how powerless it was when, one day, I had to ride out of town on the countryside roads. It wouldn't go any faster than 30 mph and the engine roared with a high sound at that speed. It was embarrassing...LOL.

Thank you so much CregC. I am going to check out Carvana later today. It is good to know that they do not sell any wrecks because Cars.com and Autotrader.com make no such claims. I am grateful to you.

Hey Rabbit:
I have to say I have no experience riding a motorcycle, except that I used to ride a Suzuki 50cc dirt/mountain bike for two years on the streets of London, England in my youth, some 30 years ago. I have zero fixing and maintenance experience. However, I don't think experience with a 50cc bike counts when compared to you guys on this website. But I remember I had a wonderful time riding that 50cc on the streets of London every day, going to school and to work after school. It had so much power in the street/urban high-traffic areas that it would turn heads and it looked big and powerful. I only realized how powerless it was when, one day, I had to ride out of town on the countryside roads. It wouldn't go any faster than 30 mph and the engine roared with a high sound at that speed. It was embarrassing...LOL.
Ok, then I’m going to offer some advice. Please just go with a car for now. You will spend easily 1000$ on commuting gear and if you value your health and well being you will wear it. (170$ for a helmet, 150$ for boots, 300-350 for overpants and a coat combined plus another 80 ish dollars for decent gloves). That’s not the Aerostitch quality even. That’s just basic tourmaster level riding gear and an HJC I10 helmet. Additionally you either need to buy the tools to do the maintenance yourself or pay to have it done. Approximately 400$ for the 16,000 mile service plus 50$ for mounting and balancing per tire which may only last 8-10k miles and can cost 100$ each on the low end. Lastly, I don’t think you have the riding experience to try and make a freeway ride like you’re talking about safely. Freeways are tricky because of the high speed, high winds and semi trucks.

Understand, we here on the forum are most all enthusiastic motorcycle riders. We would probably love to encourage Shahram to get a motorcycle and get out and ride. But at the same time it needs to be for the right reason, time, and place.

What Rabbit said. But, if you need to have a suit on for work under your riding gear you're going to need better than mid-level coat/pants ... you ride those in the rain you'll be soaked. Aerostitch Roadcrafter, Klim Hardanger, or that ilk would be necessary, and you've seen those prices. That's why I searched Carvana at a little over $12K, because by the time you buy the bike (and pay tax, title, and registration), add insurance, add some storage (top box), riding gear, and factor in first year tires (because the factory tires will be toast relatively quickly), you'll easily be in the $12K range.

I think a car is the way for you to go in the situation you are in. Once the lawyer gig gets solidly fired up and you want a bike, then get one, learn on it, and start commuting if you still want to.

Ok, then I’m going to offer some advice. Please just go with a car for now. You will spend easily 1000$ on commuting gear and if you value your health and well being you will wear it. (170$ for a helmet, 150$ for boots, 300-350 for overpants and a coat combined plus another 80 ish dollars for decent gloves). That’s not the Aerostitch quality even. That’s just basic tourmaster level riding gear and an HJC I10 helmet. Additionally you either need to buy the tools to do the maintenance yourself or pay to have it done. Approximately 400$ for the 16,000 mile service plus 50$ for mounting and balancing per tire which may only last 8-10k miles and can cost 100$ each on the low end. Lastly, I don’t think you have the riding experience to try and make a freeway ride like you’re talking about safely. Freeways are tricky because of the high speed, high winds and semi trucks.
Thank you Rabbit for your wise advice. I think I am going to heed your counsel and look for a second-hand car instead. I am grateful to you. You guys have been wonderful.

Understand, we here on the forum are most all enthusiastic motorcycle riders. We would probably love to encourage Shahram to get a motorcycle and get out and ride. But at the same time it needs to be for the right reason, time, and place.
Thank you 670cc. I very much value your advice. I think I am going to buy a second-hand car instead. You guys have been wonderful and amazing. I am grateful to all of you.

What Rabbit said. But, if you need to have a suit on for work under your riding gear you're going to need better than mid-level coat/pants ... you ride those in the rain you'll be soaked. Aerostitch Roadcrafter, Klim Hardanger, or that ilk would be necessary, and you've seen those prices. That's why I searched Carvana at a little over $12K, because by the time you buy the bike (and pay tax, title, and registration), add insurance, add some storage (top box), riding gear, and factor in first year tires (because the factory tires will be toast relatively quickly), you'll easily be in the $12K range.

I think a car is the way for you to go in the situation you are in. Once the lawyer gig gets solidly fired up and you want a bike, then get one, learn on it, and start commuting if you still want to.
Thank you CregC. I think the general consensus among all of you is that I should get a second-hand car for now. I am very grateful to you and to all of you wonderful people on this site. I am going to miss you all.

Thank you CregC. I think the general consensus among all of you is that I should get a second-hand car for now. I am very grateful to you and to all of you wonderful people on this site. I am going to miss you all.
No need to miss us. Get your legal practice going and then get an Nc750x because it is the best bike on the planet. Hope to see you back in a year or so! In the meantime feel free to lurk and learn

No need to miss us. Get your legal practice going and then get an Nc750x because it is the best bike on the planet. Hope to see you back in a year or so! In the meantime feel free to lurk and learn
Thank you Rabbit. I will do that and I will stay in touch.

I bought my NC700xdct 4 years ago. I am now 70. I have put 41000 on it so far and love it. I commute to work apx 4 days per week during school ( I substitute teach) but only about 5 to 12 miles. I also ride all over TEXAS to do the Grand Tour of Texas, to get picture stops all over the state. I have also riidden to South Carolina and Florida twice. I bought the bike used with 7200 on it for $3500 With Honda panniers and top-box. Other than the usual gas, oil, tires, chains and sprockets which I change myself, only one part has failed so far which was the O2 senser in the air box. A 10 dollar part. The NC is tough as nails and is a 100000+ mile bike. So I suggest a used.
I also have a Suzuki Burgman 650. Great bike for cruzing down the highway at 80 With tons of protection. But I prefer the NC. So the Burgman is my grocery store bike. And my spare MC if for any reason NC is down like when I hit a large lumber at night and bent both wheels. That morning I-was leaving Houston for Odessa and I limped home on NC, Got on Burgman and rode to Odessa. The Burgman would be a great bike for your purpose But don’t buy one built before 2013.
Now on the topic of commuting on a MC. This is not a sport you should take up at neat 60. I started riding a Honda 360 in college and that was a late start. Wish that i had started on a small dirt bike when I was a kid. One thing nobody has told you yet. You will fall off it while learning to ride. You will drop the bike. Show me a biker that says he hasn't ever dropped his bike and I will show you a new rider or an old lier. So far I have only broken one leg. Surgeon and titanium fixed it good as new. That was in Arkansas on a Yamaha Majesty 400 scooter. That bike would do your commuting and visiting as well.
I’m not going to tell you not to buy a motorcycle. But If you do, take the safety courses in addition to the one required to get a MC license in Texas. And make sure you have great insurance on the bike and on your butt. My broken leg cost me 5 times the cost of the MC out of my pocket.
Best of luck to you. Please keep us informed because WE CARE!!

I bought my NC700xdct 4 years ago. I am now 70. I have put 41000 on it so far and love it. I commute to work apx 4 days per week during school ( I substitute teach) but only about 5 to 12 miles. I also ride all over TEXAS to do the Grand Tour of Texas, to get picture stops all over the state. I have also riidden to South Carolina and Florida twice. I bought the bike used with 7200 on it for $3500 With Honda panniers and top-box. Other than the usual gas, oil, tires, chains and sprockets which I change myself, only one part has failed so far which was the O2 senser in the air box. A 10 dollar part. The NC is tough as nails and is a 100000+ mile bike. So I suggest a used.
I also have a Suzuki Burgman 650. Great bike for cruzing down the highway at 80 With tons of protection. But I prefer the NC. So the Burgman is my grocery store bike. And my spare MC if for any reason NC is down like when I hit a large lumber at night and bent both wheels. That morning I-was leaving Houston for Odessa and I limped home on NC, Got on Burgman and rode to Odessa. The Burgman would be a great bike for your purpose But don’t buy one built before 2013.
Now on the topic of commuting on a MC. This is not a sport you should take up at neat 60. I started riding a Honda 360 in college and that was a late start. Wish that i had started on a small dirt bike when I was a kid. One thing nobody has told you yet. You will fall off it while learning to ride. You will drop the bike. Show me a biker that says he hasn't ever dropped his bike and I will show you a new rider or an old lier. So far I have only broken one leg. Surgeon and titanium fixed it good as new. That was in Arkansas on a Yamaha Majesty 400 scooter. That bike would do your commuting and visiting as well.
I’m not going to tell you not to buy a motorcycle. But If you do, take the safety courses in addition to the one required to get a MC license in Texas. And make sure you have great insurance on the bike and on your butt. My broken leg cost me 5 times the cost of the MC out of my pocket.
Best of luck to you. Please keep us informed because WE CARE!!
Wow Sandspike...you are inspirational riding an NC700 at age 70. I am so proud of you.
Your warning that I am sure to fall off a motorcycle as a beginner (something nobody had told me about) further substantiates the consensus here that under my current circumstances, a new motorcycle is not a good idea, and that I should explore second-hand cars instead. So, I am going to heed the advice of you wonderful people on this website and continue ridding the city bus for now (I just did my taxes and realized that I owe Uncle Sam $3,400, so there goes the money I was hoping to buy a motorcycle or a second-hand car with). I am grateful to you for making me realize that The time is not right for me to buy a motorcycle. Thank you.

Wow Sandspike...you are inspirational riding an NC700 at age 70. I am so proud of you.
Your warning that I am sure to fall off a motorcycle as a beginner (something nobody had told me about) further substantiates the consensus here that under my current circumstances, a new motorcycle is not a good idea, and that I should explore second-hand cars instead. So, I am going to heed the advice of you wonderful people on this website and continue ridding the city bus for now (I just did my taxes and realized that I owe Uncle Sam $3,400, so there goes the money I was hoping to buy a motorcycle or a second-hand car with). I am grateful to you for making me realize that The time is not right for me to buy a motorcycle. Thank you.
So we spent all that time and energy trying to help you make a decision and then you say you can't afford anything anyway :(

So we spent all that time and energy trying to help you make a decision and then you say you can't afford anything anyway :(
Yeah, my fingers are so tired.

Kidding aside, he seemed to be very appreciative and gracious. I'm happy to help especially considering how much guidance I've received here. Situations change.

If I were in his position, for a 3 mile trip to the office I'd consider a bicycyle or e-bike rather than spend hours on a bus, maybe get some excercise and look eco friendly at the same time

I wish I had a 3 mile commute! I’d really consider riding a bike! Right now I have a 67 mile commute, so a bicycle is out of the question!

Back