• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

power port fail

kingjon1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2013 NC700X that has a Honda 12v power port in the frunk. While on a trip last autumn the plug went dead. I have checked the fuse and the relay and both are okay. What else could cause the loss of juice?

When say you checked the fuse, do you mean the 1 amp fuse that may be hidden under the left side plastic bodywork, or did you check the 7.5 amp fuse in the fuseblock, or both?

Reactions: MZ5
This problem is very nearly always the 1-amp inline fuse that you have to remove a fair amount of side plastic to find.

If all fuses and relays are double-checked and intact, then you have a wiring problem, to include possibly the socket itself. Those things are unlikely, but if it’s not the likely, it must be the unlikely.
(-:

Why is that 1 amp fuse there? Seem the accessory harness is designed to deliver 7.5 amps in total.

Why is that 1 amp fuse there? Seem the accessory harness is designed to deliver 7.5 amps in total.
Frankly, the Honda 12 volt accessory outlet is kind if a joke, in my opinion. Honda chose 1 amp capacity for reasons unknown, but they do it on other motorcycle models, too, not just the NC.

The whole accessory harness is fused at 7.5 amps. Included in that might be the heated grips, which could easily draw 3 amps. And you might want to add aux lights to the circuit, which could draw a few amps.

For a useful 12 volt outlet, many people choose to install their own with heavier wire and at least a 10 amp fuse tied directly to the battery. That way you could run a small air compressor if needed.

When say you checked the fuse, do you mean the 1 amp fuse that may be hidden under the left side plastic bodywork, or did you check the 7.5 amp fuse in the fuseblock, or both?
Just the 7.5 in the fuse block; I have been reluctant to pull off the plastic. Thanks for the reply.

Why is that 1 amp fuse there?

The wires that feed the power outlet are minuscule. It’s kind of amazing that metal wire can be made that small (joking). If you put 5 or 6 amps through those wires for a time, I feel sure they’d melt or start a fire.

As to the way of all the above (wire gauge choice, etc), I couldn’t say for sure, but I bet cost + resource conservation were Honda’s biggest priorities. The outlet is intended only as a source for a phone slow-charger, or a voltage monitor or similar, IMO.

Back