• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Private Help Request (relay picture)

Thanks for the diagram offer. Not needed. Now that I know what it is, I can just leave it alone.

First, I'll have to learn how to read a voltmeter. If it shows a number, what does that number mean?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No worries... :)

If you get a voltmeter, the reading will be in Volts DC (VDC). The charging system voltage with the engine running should be between 13.8 to 14.2 VDC. If you see a reading less than 13.0 or less, there should be some need for concern. If it drops below 12.0 VDC, you should be worried to say the least as the battery is not charging.

I hope this helps you in regards to what readings to look for.

Yes, but not the same one that came with the Seat Heating Pad wiring harness. The one used with the Seat Heating pad is used differently as I explained to you earlier.
Yes. Exactly. The one that came with the heating pad is not an on/off relay... not the way it's wired.

I have an on/off relay installed that's why I specified "on/off" in the question.

The installed on/off relay is rated for 12V and 40A.
I don't understand much, but you mentioned that a heating element probably draws about 12A?... so both grips and seat probably won't come close to 40A. I'll try that first.

Yes. Exactly. The one that came with the heating pad is not an on/off relay... not the way it's wired.

I have an on/off relay installed that's why I specified "on/off" in the question.

The installed on/off relay is rated for 12V and 40A.
I don't understand much, but you mentioned that a heating element probably draws about 12A?... so both grips and seat probably won't come close to 40A. I'll try that first.

Start with a 15 Amp fuse and work your way down from there. If the 15 Amp blows quickly, then go up to 20 Amp.

A 40 amp relay will be more than adequate. The next consideration is the wire size in the relay circuit and the fuse size. Do you know what size wire was used? (Wire gauge?)

Start with a 15 Amp fuse and work your way down from there. If the 15 Amp blows quickly, then go up to 20 Amp.
You've lost me... I guess the installed on/off relay I have has a fuse somewhere?
I'll look at it when I get home... see if I can locate it.

A 40 amp relay will be more than adequate. The next consideration is the wire size in the relay circuit and the fuse size. Do you know what size wire was used? (Wire gauge?)
I usually use wire that fits in the "blue" part of the wire stripper. The really small wire is too hard to work with.
Does it matter?

Check out motorcycle for a voltmeter for the bike. Another thought is to put in a power distribution box like a Centech. I put mine in the compartment at the bottom of the frunk.

You've lost me... I guess the installed on/off relay I have has a fuse somewhere?
I'll look at it when I get home... see if I can locate it.

I highly doubt that you will be pulling 40 Amps for the setup that you have described. If you that amount of current were drawn from the battery, it would not support for a long length of time before going "FLAT".

You would be surprised what 100-150 watts (8.33 to 12.5 Amps) can heat up. I would not be surprised that the heating pad draws 50 to 75 Watts, most heated grips are rated at 30 Watts. Worst case estimate with my figures, you would be drawing 105 Watts (8.75A @ 12VDC or 7.5A @ 14.0VDC). There might be enough reserves in the charging system to accommodate it for extended lengths of time. However do not quote me on it..

I'm no electrical engineer but having several Honda bikes over the past few years, be very careful as to what wire you connect a device to that draws a lot of amps. Honda does not oversize their wiring. For my heated gloves I went straight from the battery (fused) to a switch that turns the aux. power plug on so that I didn't have to tap into any wiring. Of course you have to remember to turn it on and turn it off since it is not hooked to a line that is hot only when the key is turned on. I used a relay for a Wolo air horn on my Valkyrie that is inline between the horn button and the horn. Without the relay you will burn the wiring to the horn button because of the amp pull on the instant on compressor for the air horn.

I didn't read this whole thread in detail, but the link back at Amazon shows this heating element's power requirement is 22 Watts -- if that is at all accurate. Using 12VDC as the low input voltage value, the current demand would be roughly 1.8 Amps. Sounds like some of these high current rated relays discussed are more than up to the task of handling this seat heating element.

Back