• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about Adjusting Chain Tension

Anyone use gear oil to lube their drive chain instead of aerosol spray type?.
If so , what weight should be used....90 perhaps.

I tried for awhile on previous bikes, but ugh, the smell! When warm and sitting on the bike in traffic on a hot sunny day, yeeeuck. Couldn't stand it, lol. I don't care if it made the chain last 100,000 miles, I wouldn't want to smell that stuff to do it personally. :eek:

I tried for awhile on previous bikes, but ugh, the smell! When warm and sitting on the bike in traffic on a hot sunny day, yeeeuck. Couldn't stand it, lol. I don't care if it made the chain last 100,000 miles, I wouldn't want to smell that stuff to do it personally. :eek:

I'm right there with you LBS. I used it in my Tutoro auto oiler for a while. Worked just fine, but once the temps heated up the smell of the gear oil was just too much sitting in traffic. Right now I'm using 2 stroke engine oil, no smell!

trey

Hmmm , interesting responses, wasn't aware gear oil gave off such an adverse odor when in high temps, duly noted.

Hmmm , interesting responses, wasn't aware gear oil gave off such an adverse odor when in high temps, duly noted.

Smell is the best way to determine the difference between an motor oil leak and a gar oil leak. I always regret to find that I have left a freshly drained pan of gear oil in my shop when I walk in in the morning. The whole shop smells like it.

Though you had a leaky fish there for a minute. :p

No, but if you ever opened up the front suspension on a Japanese bike from the late 60's to early 70's you would get a good whiff of fish. I don't know that the Japanese actually used fish oil, but it sure smelled like it. I always changed it for ATF on new bikes, but I remember a used Honda that I bought and while bringing it up to maintenance spec I opened the fork caps and it smelled like every dead fish in the world was in there.

Back