• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about the 2012 chain recall

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if when Honda had the chain recall in 2012, did they record the Vin numbers of the bike that had the replacement done?
I bought mine used with 2,500 miles on it and was wondering if there is a way to KNOW the chain was replaced.
Mine has started making a rythmic sound (like on one link only). more like a tick tick tick when it has a load on it. I only hear it in 2nd or 3rd going fairly slow.
When I pull in the clutch and coast in goes away. Let out the clutch and give a little gas, I can hear it. It's been getting a little louder so I ordered another chain this -
DID 520 VX2 Pro Street Series X'ring Sealed Chain

I went to the dealer and they said I probably had a "hard" place in it.

Anyway, I'd like to be reimbursed for the chain if there is a way to prove the original was never replaced. Who wouldn't...right?
BTW- sprocket center chain $74....Honda $173.

I believe you can register your bike/VIN at the Honda Owner Link Web site. Then you will see if the VIN has any outstanding recalls due. I think they are revamping the owner's site at the moment, however.

But, you may find your answer here as well: http://powersports.honda.com/recall-information.aspx

The chain recall was simply to address a potential breakage issue. It has nothing to do with noises, tight links, or longevity other than breakage. I would not expect any chain from Honda or the dealer, except that if the VIN falls in the recall range AND the chain is from the supplier with the suspected defect AND the recall was never done on your bike. I also would not expect a reimbursement for a chain you purchased. The recalls says Honda will supply and replace the chain. Outside of that, buy yourself a new chain if you want one.

Last edited:
I was wondering if when Honda had the chain recall in 2012, did they record the Vin numbers of the bike that had the replacement done?
I bought mine used with 2,500 miles on it and was wondering if there is a way to KNOW the chain was replaced.
Mine has started making a rythmic sound (like on one link only). more like a tick tick tick when it has a load on it. I only hear it in 2nd or 3rd going fairly slow.
When I pull in the clutch and coast in goes away. Let out the clutch and give a little gas, I can hear it. It's been getting a little louder so I ordered another chain this -
DID 520 VX2 Pro Street Series X'ring Sealed Chain

I went to the dealer and they said I probably had a "hard" place in it.

Anyway, I'd like to be reimbursed for the chain if there is a way to prove the original was never replaced. Who wouldn't...right?
BTW- sprocket center chain $74....Honda $173.
I was going to post a similar question. I'll register my Vin on the site and see if that works.

Try calling your local dealership and asking for the service department. Tell them you just bought the bike and would like for them to check the VIN for any recalls. Most of them will tell you this information.

Honda did pay for a chain replacement on my 2014, at the 600 (actually 700) mile service the dealer told me the chain was bad.
They contacted Honda and within a week or two were approved to replace the chain, the original was an ROK, they replaced it with a DID.

They looked up the number of mine just to make sure it was done.they are also marked on the chain as said above.so I would say they keep track of it.

Thanks 670cc for the link. I entered my VIN and it only comes back as "no current recalls".
Just another deal with buying a used vehicle and not knowing who the PO is.
I'm going to pay the dealer to put on the chain as I don't have the tools right now and am super busy.
The service guy said $66. So, $66 (labor) + $80 (chain) = $146. Still $30 cheaper than the Honda price for just the chain.
I can do that. I also got the rivet link.

If the recall check was done the Honda shop should have taken a small punch and made a mark on the left side frame tab for the center stand, visible under the frame tube.

If the recall check was done the Honda shop should have taken a small punch and made a mark on the left side frame tab for the center stand, visible under the frame tube.

+1 I remember my bike was marked when my chain was replaced. Couldn't for the life do me remember where the mark was.

Honda probably does record the VIN if the shop records the warranty ticket (why not, they get some monetary reimbursement from Honda corp for performing the recall) but if you buy a used machine at least you can check to see if the recall was done.

Back