• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rain gear

Gigs

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my bike for 6 months as well as my gear. I rock Bilt gear, it was inexpensive and hasn't let me down until today. I've ridden in sub freezing rain in this stuff no problem. Today we had rain and my pants leaked, in the seat area. I have other rain gear that's done the same thing. What's the deal with crotch seam leakage and is there something that won't do this?

Gigs

I have a cheapo $50.00 rain suit. Yep it leaked the first hard rain! After it dried out I soaked it in some Scotch Gard outdoor Silicone water shield.
haven't used it since, so I can't review it yet.
I've been wearing my Firstgear MC gear since its been cooler. My Firstgear pants and jacket keep me dry though.

Last edited:
I have had Tourmaster rain gear for years and lots of miles. Problem is the jacket works great but the pants have a cordura crotch. Why they did that, is beyond me. Anyway, I always look like I pissed myself after a hard rain. My wife gets a good laugh out of it. Living in Tropical Florida ain't helping my old age image much either. Makes me look like I need depends! I really have to spend some money on new gear soon.

The US military issue gor-tex gear has done great for me. Prices for new sets on eBay are pretty competitive to other wet weather gear, but I don't know if they're the real deal or not.
Of course, camouflage is counterproductive to being visible so I wear a vest over the parka even when I'm not on a base... but I guess I'm glad they never issued me any bright yellow uniforms anyway.

The US military issue gor-tex gear has done great for me. Prices for new sets on eBay are pretty competitive to other wet weather gear, but I don't know if they're the real deal or not.
Of course, camouflage is counterproductive to being visible so I wear a vest over the parka even when I'm not on a base... but I guess I'm glad they never issued me any bright yellow uniforms anyway.

Just beware. The military gor-tex is NOT water proof! Only water resistant! Trust me I know from experience. In a heavy down pour you will be drenched down to your drawers if you're out there for a few hours.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I have had my Firstgear overpants for the past 4 seasons. It had worked well for me from fall to spring, thru rain and cold weather (down to about high 30s). This past season, I began to notice some leakage in the crutch area. My guess is that, over time, the seams around the crutch get pulled loose and lose the water proofness. Similar thing starts to happen to my jacket (5 seasons) at the elbow area. The stretch panels are, well, stretched out and start to get wet/soaked thru. I guess it's time for some new gears?

I know Harley Davidson has gotten good reviews on their rain suit. However, it's expensive, has the big HD logo on the back and if you ride a Honda, it will make you a "Cross Dresser". LOL! :D

Rain gear that goes over your riding gear is my choice. I have stuff made for back packers bought at REI. Wore my riding gear into store to try on rain gear over it. Jacket is Patagonia as that was all they had in high vis. Pants are Marmount. Pants have zippers that unzip fully in two from cuff to waist making them easy to get on quickly over gear. Been using the gear 3 years with plenty of riding in rain with no problems. Got the idea from a guy who had just returned to Georgia from a ride to Alaska. Gear got 3 days of use at Horizons Unlimited meeting last week so a couple others here had a look at it.

Look its just a fact of life,,rain gear works until you really need it,,,after that its a soggy bum....just accept it,and you won,t be disappointed...

I just called cycle gear and they said just bring them in and they will replace my leaky pants no problems. That's awesome.

Gigs

Komine rain pants: designed without any seam whatsoever in the crotch area so there is no seam to fail in the first place. Also inexpensive.

Wore a pair of Frogg Toggs for six years and they never leaked.

I wore them and got soaked down the front from the inadequate closure and in all too short a time the crotch seam opened up, with the natural results that go with that.

I have kept them and use them at work, but they're awfully sorry excuses for motorcycle rain gear. Or such was my experience.

I also had a pair of Frog Toggs I threw in the trash after the first ride in the rain. Seams let water in giving me a wet bum and uncomfortable ride. That said a lot of people have them and swear by them. Go figure?

I wore them and got soaked down the front from the inadequate closure and in all too short a time the crotch seam opened up, with the natural results that go with that.

I have kept them and use them at work, but they're awfully sorry excuses for motorcycle rain gear. Or such was my experience.

Same here. They're OK for the short 15 minute commute to work in light rain, but in any real rain after 20 minutes or so, anywhere water has pooled or consistantly pounded on it, I'm soaked.

Frogg Toggs get the most inconsistant reviews online. Some love them and swear by them, but they didn't work for me, not at all.

trey

I just bought the Firstgear Kathmandu Jacket & Overpants. I plan to ride all through the winter. And the rain if necessary. This suit had some good ratings and was the cheaper of the two I was looking at. I really wanted the Olympia AST 2.

Back