• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Renewed appreciation for DCT

For what it's worth I have only used Honda branded synthetic oil in my NC700Xs. The DCT is now at 11,500 miles. I use Honda HP4S 10w30 because I can and I want to. If it affects the DCT operation I haven't noticed. I'm not a oil elitist - my ST1300 has run Rotella synthetic 5w40 for about 70,000 of it's 160,000 miles and Rotella dino 15w40 for much of the rest. I stay with Honda HPS4 in the 700 because the NC engine was designed to be very efficient and a 10w30 oil (at operating temps) is slightly more economical than a 10w40 will be. Since I want a 10w30 and it is practically impossible to find a 10w30 oil that is JASO rated for wet clutches then I choose the Honda synthetic but I'm sure the GN4 is just as good.

Uh Oh.
I better check my oil bottle........

I haven't tried out the DCT, but hear a lot of good reviews;

I don't like driving automatic cars, but don't think it compares well to a DCT motorcycle. In a car, an Auto transmission is completely different than a manual; with the motorcycle DCT, it still basically appears to be a manual with the same gearing, but has a smooth and efficient mechanism for shifting.

I have two questions to consider:

1) In your opinion, can a intermediate/advanced rider on a DCT motorcycle, outperform an advanced rider on an equivalent non-DCT motorcycle?

and, semi-related;

2) In 'sport' mode, what happens if you manually select a high gear, but then ride very slowly or stop the bike altogether, trying to 'lug' the engine? Is the NC impossible to stall?

I don't like driving automatic cars, but don't think it compares well to a DCT motorcycle. In a car, an Auto transmission is completely different than a manual; with the motorcycle DCT, it still basically appears to be a manual with the same gearing, but has a smooth and efficient mechanism for shifting.

1) In your opinion, can a intermediate/advanced rider on a DCT motorcycle, outperform an advanced rider on an equivalent non-DCT motorcycle?

Subjective, but the consensus from what I have read is - yes

and, semi-related;

2) In 'sport' mode, what happens if you manually select a high gear, but then ride very slowly or stop the bike altogether, trying to 'lug' the engine? Is the NC impossible to stall?
In sport mode if you select an higher gear it will go there and after a bit (seconds) it will return to the proper one. Any slowing down and it will downshift as you slow. It will not stall. I don't think anyone has ever stalled one. No one posting here anyway.

In the automotive world there is no doubt that DCT outperforms manual. It is simply not humanly possible to shift as fast as the DCT. There is a slight weight penalty but it it is more than made up for by the quicker shifting. Almost all high-performance cars now use DCTs because they perform better, that's the bottom line. I would love to see a a drag race between a DCT version and a manual version of the same motorcycle.

and, semi-related;

1) Yes, having a DCT, I am convinced it will outperformed a non-DCT. In full manual shift mode on a DCT, you'll shift gears faster and more efficiently than a non-DCT.

2) In either mode, Sport of Drive, over-riding the gear with the gear shift will prevails and gently switch back to auto shifting.

Back