• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ride-on or Slime?

Good article.

I found the following quote in the article to be humorous and show FN's *ahem* SLIGHT bias:

“Nearly $20 million, not to improve the effectiveness of the ammunition used by our troops, but to protect the environment,” Yardley wrote.

Amusing. In a world where military spending is "Billions" or "Trillions" - $20 Million and has a measurable impact on the environment and importantly, does not harm the quality of the round (I know there are debates on this, but I've fired copper and lead and actually prefer the copper), geez.

That being said, wheel weights can be made from numerous types of materials. Most have been moving away from the hammer-on-worm-looking-things to the stick-on-mini-bricks-of-C4 looking things for a while.

After experiencing my first flat, I want a little extra insurance. So what do you guys think, ride-on or slime ?

1.jpg"MARVIN ZINDLER, EYEWITNESS NEWS!" , ‘Best Little Whorehouse in Texas’

Died
July 29, 2007 (aged 85)

However, Eyewitness News still has the entire staff say "Slime in the Ice Machine" after every restaurant report.

smileyelderly.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you OCR you had mention about the small air compressor at Walmart and fits in the side crowl,I picked one up today and a plug kit.

Slime does the same thing. I had heard so many horror stories about how Slime would corrode your rims and create a huge mess when you took a tire off. That's not necessarily true.

The mess from Slime occurs if you have just put it in the tire and a couple weeks later have the tire taken apart. The stuff is pretty liquid at first, but over time, it gets sticky like the Ride-On picture showed. When a tire that had Slime in it was broken down, I asked to be there to see for myself. There was some Slime that had dripped onto the hub area and dried, but otherwise, it was all up in the tread. And there was no corrosion.

Slime's a bit easier to find than Ride-On. Most hardware stores will sell it for the lawn tractors. They also sell a small kit with some Slime in it and a small air compressor.

Chris

I have been using Ride-On in my rear tire for the last 2K miles. It is working great. Corona Motorsports, the shop who mounted my tire, didn't recommend any additive. They told me it would "fall to the bottom" of the tire every night and would be really messy. My bike sits for 3-4 days at a time and I never feel the rear wheel is out of balance. Stuff is good so far. I have another bottle for my front tire. It is going in this weekend.

In the UK, a lot of tyre dealers will not change tyres if they have had "slime" type stuff in the tyres. The reason being given is that the stuff messes up their tyre changing machines.

I have ran "Ride On" for over 5 years now. Never a flat, and no mess changing the tires. Ride On works! However, do not use either product if your motorcycle has a flat tire sending unit. Never saw the point of a flat tire sending unit. It tells you that you have a flat after the fact! Rather have Ride On in my tires, so I do not have the flat in the first place.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about Ride On since it's neater inside.

I carry an electric pump and plug kit in space between the left "Honda" panel and the Frunk. 'Never used it, but it's there.

I've been riding for years without a flat. Since getting my NC700, I've had two on the road. One location was out in the middle of nowhere with no telephone service. One of the reasons, I bought the NC700 is because of it's tubeless tires that allows me to plug a flat. That is not the case with my Suzuki Twin that has spoke wheels and tube tires. Both times I had the flat on my NC700, I was able to successfully plug the tire. I carry plugs, and a motorcycle air compressor, I also arranged my electrical system so it's easy to provide power to the air compressor.

One thing I would like to point out, that hasn't been mentioned before, is that when having a rear flat (and possibly a front one),things are so much easier if You have a Center Stand.

I'm thinking about Ride On since it's neater inside...
Just a bit of a fact check here. The video on the first page stated one important fact. The Ride-On had been inside the tire for a year. When I used Slime, I found the same thing on the tire where the Slime had been in the tire for a year. It congealed in the tread area and wasn't a mess at all. Just like the Ride-On. I just didn't take a video of it. ;)

Both products will work. The difference in my mind is the ease of getting it, and the cost. Slime is available at every motorcycle dealership, and at many hardware stores.

Chris

I've used Slime and QuadBoss. I prefer QuadBoss. I think Slime has changed their formula, but when I used it years ago, it made a mess and tire shops were not shy about pointing to other sealants. Ride-On? Way too expensive with no benefit over QuadBoss or others. As I've posted a number of times, most of these use ethylene glycol (anti-freeze ingredient) as a carrier. there are quite a few other brands out there too, and some are very affordable and have the same basic approach.

Added weight is my issue with tire sealants.

The huge benefit of carbon fiber wheels are their light weight allowing the shocks to do a better job of holding the tire to the pavement.
Good tire contact is vitally important for a motorcycle. Sealants are counter to that.

Motus carries forged Oz wheels which are lighter than cast and stick to the road like glue making the bike feel planted no matter the surface.
I'm no engineer but feel wheel gyroscopics are already fighting the shocks. Adding more weight to the wheel only makes things worse. My 2 cents.

I guess that would matter to me if I was a racer, because I don't feel anything detrimental after adding a proper dose of sealant ; }

Back