• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Scratched windshield, the day I rode it home. :(

BigMike

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys/gals! Long time, no see.

Anyway, I've been busy with a few bike projects here in the Old Pueblo. Also had a death in the family. (SUCKS), life goes on.......

My question to everyone is this..... Who else has had a scratch on the upper edge of their stock small windshield?

I actually noticed the scratch within a few minutes from leaving the dealership back when I bought the bike. I had returned later that month and told them about the scratch. They ordered another windshield, which came in about a week. Upon inspection of the new one, it too had a scratch on the top edge. Actually, it looked like someone tried to smooth it out with a grinder, or something. So, I pointed out the scratch on the ordered one, refused that one and ordered another one. That 2nd one came and went, since no one called me to tell me it arrived. :mad: Fast forward to this month. I asked them to order another windshield for me, to see if I could get a good one. I also pointed out the 2012 and 2013 models on their floor that also had a "repair" job done on the upper edge of those windshields. The 3rd one came in, and was also "repaired". Needless to say, I would expect better from Honda. I don't know if these windshields are being manufactured by a side company in Japan, but their quality control needs to address the issue. if it's a manufacturing defect, why can't it be a scratch at the bottom of the windshield, where I can't see it?

I did a search in the forum for this issue, came up with nothing. (unless I'm searching incorrectly, :confused: ) I sounds like mostly everyone is buying aftermarket windshields, or the taller Honda one. I was curious to see if anyone else had noticed their windshields scratched, and what they did about it. I'm considering contacting Honda USA and explaining the problem. Don't know what they will do for me, but this still needs to be addressed.

Thoughts?.......Actions?............Links?..........

Good to be back, though. :D

Mike.

I will go take a look at mine which is pristine as I never used it - I got a second hand one and painted it.
(just spent 15 minutes trying to upload/link/embed an image and am giving up - jeez this site makes it difficult)
Mike

Last edited:
It must be a preventive un-perfecting feature preinstalled deliberately by Honda so that the "evil eye" can't stick on your brand new bike because, as we know over here, this envious evil eye can influence only perfect new items.
Honda is well ahead of other manufacturers even minding after the tiniest of details.

The upper edge of my windshield on the top lip had a machining flaw where it looked like a flat spot for a couple inches. Is that what you're talking about? I took some time and wet-sanded it away and it looks perfect now. Very easy to do if that's the "scratch" you're talking about.

I will go take a look at mine which is pristine as I never used it - I got a second hand one and painted it.
(just spent 15 minutes trying to upload/link/embed an image and am giving up - jeez this site makes it difficult)
Mike

This site, for me, has been the first and only one that is so easy even I can do it lol, so there must be something going wrong with your methods?

Click on the insert image button and a window pops up asking: from for url or from computer, and there you go, easy peasy. What issues are you having?

I would love to see a picture of this scratch everyone is talking about! I never noticed anything on mine.

LBS - My pics are stored on Picasa web - or at least the small sized ones are. I could insert an image directly from my computer but that would mean messing about saving it in smaller sizes. So I tried copying the urls that Picasa told me were needed and about 3 times got invalid file from this site, so I tried pasting the URL rather than the image source and got the same result. I eventually found some URL that the site didn't seem to mind but then it said my image was too big (at 1024px) so I tried 800 and it said it was too big so I tried 640 and it said too big ....so I gave up. I can get the Picasa URLs to work first time on the NC700 UK site.
Mike

LBS - My pics are stored on Picasa web - or at least the small sized ones are. I could insert an image directly from my computer but that would mean messing about saving it in smaller sizes. So I tried copying the urls that Picasa told me were needed and about 3 times got invalid file from this site, so I tried pasting the URL rather than the image source and got the same result. I eventually found some URL that the site didn't seem to mind but then it said my image was too big (at 1024px) so I tried 800 and it said it was too big so I tried 640 and it said too big ....so I gave up. I can get the Picasa URLs to work first time on the NC700 UK site.
Mike

*Edit 2*

SergeantChuck just made a great thread that 670cc kindly stickied in the Site Announcements Forum which may help you?

"If you're wanting to post photos directly from a website you need the URL for the photo. If posting from Photobucket use the supplied embedded link (not all of it). Photos in Google +. Get into your albumn. Click on photo you want to view. Once photo is displayed you need to right click on photo and select open in a new window. The new window will contain the exact URL of the photo in the address box. If using Picasa you may want to download picture to desktop and then attach."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. Sorry mate, I have never tried or done anything with Picasa, so I am no help there. :(

Curiously though, I usually make sure to reduce the size of any pictures I have prior to an upload, but sometimes forget to. Some of them are far greater than the largest size you mention being disallowed, but they have still loaded no problem, and been automatically resized. Even pictures that I have resized to kind of oddball dimensions larger than others I am attaching in the same post, have been uniformly sized to all similar.

I have only done it from pictures on my computer/s or from Imageshack. (Oh, and my Ipad, which does it no problem except for the horribly frustrating upside down 50/50 gamble lol, but that is an Apple thing, not a site problem)

I used to always use the "Select Files", but sometimes it took too long to load or whatever for my patience, so now I always use the "basic uploader" choice.

*EDIT1*

It might have something to do with being a Site Supporter. I believe benefits/abilities are expanded in that case.

Last edited:
trying again then (it worked in Picasa this time by opening the image in a new window then copying the address from the URL box at the top of the page).
This is my painted and decorated screen.
IMG_2637.JPG

With respect. Within a month of mounting the windshield it will have been covered with bugs and all sorts of road debris. Your efforts to remove these blemishes will have further scratched the screen with minute abrasions that will eventually cover it. I suggest that you mount it, enjoy the benefits it bestows, and get on with enjoying your motorcycle. By then such minutiae will have receded into obscurity.

trying again then (it worked in Picasa this time by opening the image in a new window then copying the address from the URL box at the top of the page).

That looks really good.

Hi guys/gals! Long time, no see.

Anyway, I've been busy with a few bike projects here in the Old Pueblo. Also had a death in the family. (SUCKS), life goes on.......

My question to everyone is this..... Who else has had a scratch on the upper edge of their stock small windshield?

I actually noticed the scratch within a few minutes from leaving the dealership back when I bought the bike. I had returned later that month and told them about the scratch. They ordered another windshield, which came in about a week. Upon inspection of the new one, it too had a scratch on the top edge. Actually, it looked like someone tried to smooth it out with a grinder, or something. So, I pointed out the scratch on the ordered one, refused that one and ordered another one. That 2nd one came and went, since no one called me to tell me it arrived. :mad: Fast forward to this month. I asked them to order another windshield for me, to see if I could get a good one. I also pointed out the 2012 and 2013 models on their floor that also had a "repair" job done on the upper edge of those windshields. The 3rd one came in, and was also "repaired". Needless to say, I would expect better from Honda. I don't know if these windshields are being manufactured by a side company in Japan, but their quality control needs to address the issue. if it's a manufacturing defect, why can't it be a scratch at the bottom of the windshield, where I can't see it?

I did a search in the forum for this issue, came up with nothing. (unless I'm searching incorrectly, :confused: ) I sounds like mostly everyone is buying aftermarket windshields, or the taller Honda one. I was curious to see if anyone else had noticed their windshields scratched, and what they did about it. I'm considering contacting Honda USA and explaining the problem. Don't know what they will do for me, but this still needs to be addressed.

Thoughts?.......Actions?............Links?..........

Good to be back, though. :D

Mike.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The windshield is an injection molded unit and mine has a sanded area on the top too. This is just the area where it attaches to the mold tree. There would be a stem that is cut off and sanded. This is normal for injection molded items. If it bothers you that much there's three things you can do. Flame polish the edge which will ruin the windshield if you don't know what you're doing, wet sand it with 1000 then 2000 grit sandpaper and polish with Meguiars Ultimate Compound (this took me all of 5 minutes to do), or live with it.

Polish it with Novus #2 and it will look great.

image.jpg

IMG_2637.JPG

Well I'm sure glad whatever you did worked, that's beautiful man! :cool:

The upper edge of my windshield on the top lip had a machining flaw where it looked like a flat spot for a couple inches. Is that what you're talking about? I took some time and wet-sanded it away and it looks perfect now. Very easy to do if that's the "scratch" you're talking about.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. I understand it's probably from the mold "tree" that formed it, much like toy model kits and their "parts". But, why couldn't the manufacturer design the molding to attach at the bottom of the windshield, instead of the top. Quality assurance/control must have missed that one.

Good idea on the wet-sanding and the compound, guys. However, as I said before, I would not have expected to do my own "wet-sand finishing" on a BRAND NEW motorcycle I just bought from a world-wide, reputable company. Just saying.......

Maybe I'll just search the web for a new, taller windshield. I see you guys/gals have some rather nice ones installed on your bikes. :D

Thanks all,

Big Mike.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. I understand it's probably from the mold "tree" that formed it, much like toy model kits and their "parts". But, why couldn't the manufacturer design the molding to attach at the bottom of the windshield, instead of the top. Quality assurance/control must have missed that one.

Good idea on the wet-sanding and the compound, guys. However, as I said before, I would not have expected to do my own "wet-sand finishing" on a BRAND NEW motorcycle I just bought from a world-wide, reputable company. Just saying.......

Maybe I'll just search the web for a new, taller windshield. I see you guys/gals have some rather nice ones installed on your bikes. :D

Thanks all,

Big Mike.

Sometimes some manufacturing decisions are truly cost driven. Look at how inexpensive this bike is compared to its competitors and it's no wonder the fit and finish isn't spit and polished like a Ducati Multistrada. But then again this doesn't have a Multistrada price tag, and luckily it doesn't have Multistrada reliability.

One possible reason for the stem to be at the top is if it's part of a radial multiple part stamp. The narrow part must be on top in order to maximize the number of parts to be stamped and minimize the diameter of the mold used and it also stabilizes the cooling rate having the larger part further away from the injection point. There's a lot of decisions that need to be made and compromises that have to be given up. I mean if you then start complaining about molding seams in plastic parts and then take to a magnifying glass to look for irregularities in the lay of the metallic flake in the paint, and it bothers you that much. Get the Multistrada, you'll be amazed at the quality of the fit and finish.

Back