• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko 705's

The Shinko 705 120/70/17 and 170/60/17 tires are a little buzzy with the tread pattern at low speed...

However , they smooth out a little when your zooming around...

They sure look cool on the NC700X...

I went to a dry lake here in our local desert and had a great time today ...80 degrees and sunny...sweet :cool:

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0386.jpgIMG_0389.jpg

The Shinko 705 120/70/17 and 170/60/17 tires are a little buzzy with the tread pattern at low speed...

However , they smooth out a little when your zooming around...

Have you noticed the rear tires skidding when braking hard?
I have less than 300 mi, but I noticed the skids during trail braking thru a turn also.
Could it be because the compound is too hard?
The skidding happened well into a ride, so I'm assuming it's not 'cold tire' skids.

I noticed the same thing when I switched from Conti Trial Attacks to Shinko 705 on my Tiger 955. Very easy to skid that rear. It was less noticeable on the NC when I had one on it for about a year. Perhaps I was expecting it and so took it easy. When I went to the Conti Motions, 2500 miles ago, the increase in traction and stability was very noticeable.

Thank for the confirmation.
I might get to like the squelch sound that comes with it.
Weird, because the ABS works.

Love Shinkos! Had them on my last KLR. Did the front require any mods to the fender height?
Not with the new 120/70 17. You don't need to modify anything. Before they made that size you could fit a 130/80 17 in the front but you needed to raise the fender a bit. I had done that, but just recently replaced it with the new stock size and since removed my fender lift hardware. Everything is back to normal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not with the new 120/70 17. You don't need to modify anything. Before they made that size you could fit a 130/80 17 in the front but you needed to raise the fender a bit. I had done that, but just recently replaced it with the new stock size and since removed my fender lift hardware. Everything is back to normal.

Well that's exciting. I have plenty of tread on my stock tires but happy to know I can return to the shinko's when it's time!

I've really been enjoying my 705's, but this morning on the way to work I came awfully close to testing the padding in my riding suit.

I've commuted everyday for the last 10 years, rain or shine. I realize that tar snakes are slippery, especially when wet, but the 705's seem to be VERY fussy about them. Going around a slow bend in the road near my office (at a cautious pace, maybe 20 mph) my front end washed out pretty far. Probably not more than six inches, but enough to send the bike into the wiggle waggle of trying to come to grips (literally) with the pavement. Probably just a combo of the wet pavement (it rained over night), and a tar snake that ran just the right (wrong?) direction, but sometimes that's how it goes.

I've really liked these tires on dry pavement, but they've always left me a little skittish in the wet. They might do well for a DS tire, but they just do not have the same wet weather chops as a set of ST tires. I've actually been very impressed with the dry pavement performance.

No more than I get to ride off road, it's back to a set of PR4s after this. A little slip on my commute where I know the roads like the back of my hand is one thing, but I hate not being able to ride confidently on weekend romps and longer trips when you've just got to make the best of whatever weather you're handed.

Anyway, YMMV, but thought I'd share as a bit of a PSA for other mostly on-road / commuter types thinking about trying out the 705's.

trey

I've really been enjoying my 705's, but this morning on the way to work I came awfully close to testing the padding in my riding suit.

I've commuted everyday for the last 10 years, rain or shine. I realize that tar snakes are slippery, especially when wet, but the 705's seem to be VERY fussy about them. Going around a slow bend in the road near my office (at a cautious pace, maybe 20 mph) my front end washed out pretty far. Probably not more than six inches, but enough to send the bike into the wiggle waggle of trying to come to grips (literally) with the pavement. Probably just a combo of the wet pavement (it rained over night), and a tar snake that ran just the right (wrong?) direction, but sometimes that's how it goes.

I've really liked these tires on dry pavement, but they've always left me a little skittish in the wet. They might do well for a DS tire, but they just do not have the same wet weather chops as a set of ST tires. I've actually been very impressed with the dry pavement performance.

No more than I get to ride off road, it's back to a set of PR4s after this. A little slip on my commute where I know the roads like the back of my hand is one thing, but I hate not being able to ride confidently on weekend romps and longer trips when you've just got to make the best of whatever weather you're handed.

Anyway, YMMV, but thought I'd share as a bit of a PSA for other mostly on-road / commuter types thinking about trying out the 705's.

trey
Glad to hear you and your bike are both ok, I've been thinking about getting a spare set of rims to keep a set of 705's on for when I want to go of pavement.

Thanks a lot for the report.

I almost thought they are this way ... just like the stock tires the X comes witih, those Trailmax D609 or whatever they're called. They look good, may be even be quite good on on dry pavement, but just don't give any confidence in wet conditions, especially on tarsnakes (of which we have a lot around here).

trey

Thanks for heads up. I have a set of 705's waiting for installation. The reviews seemed great for these tires before I bought a set.
I think Tar snakes are very dangerous for any tire out there.
On a one hundred degree ride in Oklahoma, I found a lot of Tar Snakes and the PR4'S didn't do any better. I thought I was going down.
As for wet riding, I haven't found a better tire than the PR's yet.

Thanks a lot for the report.

I almost thought they are this way ... just like the stock tires the X comes witih, those Trailmax D609 or whatever they're called. They look good, may be even be quite good on on dry pavement, but just don't give any confidence in wet conditions, especially on tarsnakes (of which we have a lot around here).

Well that's interesting. Here I thought tar snakes were a bit of a US phenomenon, and even then, I thought it was more of a Southern US thing as a cheap way to manage some minor repairs. I hate them, but if they're using them around the globe I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

Thanks for heads up. I have a set of 705's waiting for installation. The reviews seemed great for these tires before I bought a set.
I think Tar snakes are very dangerous for any tire out there.
On a one hundred degree ride in Oklahoma, I found a lot of Tar Snakes and the PR4'S didn't do any better. I thought I was going down.
As for wet riding, I haven't found a better tire than the PR's yet.

100% agree. Tar snakes are a danger, wet/dry/hot/cold. My afternoon commutes in the summer you can feel them kind of 'squish' beneath you, but not the sudden slip you get when the damn things are wet. I've never had a tire that wasn't affected by them in the wet, PR2/3/4 included. The 705 has actually impressed me in just about every other situation, but I miss that glued feeling a good ST tire gives. The 705 seem fine on normal pavement when it's wet, it's just the tar they seem to really hate. 705 is a great tire (especially for the price :eek:), and if I had a dual sport focused trip on the radar I'd mount them again and be especially cautious in the wet.

Bit of a grass is greener tale for me I think. My riding style/habits all point to the Michelin Road tires being what I need.... after I ran through a few sets of them on the NC (and at least 4 sets on my previous bike) I started playing around with others -- Conti Motion, Pirelli Angel GT, Anakee 3, and these Shinko 705's.... just to see what else it out there. But I think every time I've regretted not just going back to the PR4. Live and learn! If I had more opportunities to go off-road I'd probably feel the opposite.

trey

What do you guys think of a 120/90 in the front to give it more height due to the fact the rear is getting more height??

Just pulled the trigger on a set of 705's. Decided on 120/70R17 and 150/70R17. Sounds like enough people are pleased with that setup for me to try it, and the price was too good to pass up!

Back