• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

shoulda got the DCT!

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang it - on the way to the dentist I was making a right turn, up hill, in the rain, going slow and discovered mid turn that I was in way too high a gear and stalled the bike, then fell over. No damage, no hurt but dang...a dct would have been in the right gear. Ride and learn I guess....

Bummer, but like an old rider once told me when I was very young: "It's not a matter of if, it's when." Glad you're ok!

Rode through what had to be the most torrential rainstorm this world has seen since the days of Noah last Thursday. Bike handled it superbly. Everyone I met thought I was crazy I'm sure. Glad no serious damage was done!

OP - have you taken the MSF class?

I don't want to get too deep into the shoulda, woulda, coulda's but with a bike 100lb heavier than a 250cc it's important to get a great handle on clutch control with those low-speed maneuvers.

I guess, with the torquey pull and low rev range, it is easier to miss downshifting in a lower speed with an NC. Anyway, glad you and the bike are ok.

This bike being so quiet doesn't help matters either. I base whether I'm in the right gear by my RPMs. There has been several times I've looked down to notice my RPMs are to high and I forgot to shift into 6th. Just cant rear the engine well. I'm used to my sport bikes with an aftermarket exhaust.

Glad you and the bike are Ok.

Glad to hear it was a low speed dump. When I read the subject line I was afraid this was going to be a "wish I had antilock brakes" story.

I was in fourth and slowed more than I had expected, probably down to 4 miles an hour, because the uphill incline was pretty steep so when I let out the clutch after I downshifted to third to accelerate through the corner, the engine just went chug, chug, stop and being mid turn the bike was out of balance and it was just a comedy of errors. I kicked the curb, picked the bike up and was on my way in about 90 seconds.

OP - have you taken the MSF class? I don't want to get too deep into the shoulda, woulda, coulda's but with a bike 100lb heavier than a 250cc it's important to get a great handle on clutch control with those low-speed maneuvers.

That is true about clutch control. I have found though that the NCX does not like her clutch being used to control RPM. She screams like a banshee....

I was in fourth and slowed more than I had expected, probably down to 4 miles an hour, because the uphill incline was pretty steep so when I let out the clutch after I downshifted to third to accelerate through the corner, the engine just went chug, chug, stop and being mid turn the bike was out of balance and it was just a comedy of errors. I kicked the curb, picked the bike up and was on my way in about 90 seconds.
I know some corners (preferrably in Italy) where this could be a serious showstopper. :)
Nearly happened to me once with my Tenere in 2.gear, and this could have been some deep fall. Inside of steep hairpin turn leading over a tiny and narrow onesided kind of brigde with a deep gap beneath. chug chug wuahhhh *clutch* *turn throttle* and luckywise pull up. Will never forget.
Location: Valle di Preone (image showing a different tour taking that road with my WR, unfortunately not depicting that special narrow winding and steep section)

You've made my day...
I'm not the only one to have done this!
I came home on a Friday after work.... not a care in the world...
Drove up the driveway, and at the switchback I realized I was in second...
Stalled the bike... tipped it over! :eek:
Barely a mark on the bike....
Glad you were okay too!

Back