• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Smaller bikes

I have very little desire for a big cruiser. Even my NC700 can get left in the garage for my DRZ 400 if it is a short ride.

I cover a big range. My largest bike has 37 times the engine displacement of my smallest. There's a place for all sizes, and they're all fun.

I cover a big range. My largest bike has 37 times the engine displacement of my smallest. There's a place for all sizes, and they're all fun.

You'll have to explain the two bikes! That a large difference, lol.

But for sure every bike has its place and specific use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll have to explain the two bikes! That a large difference, lol.

But for sure every bike has its place and specific use.

49cc Honda Ruckus is my smallest bike. 1832cc Honda Goldwing is my largest bike.

The Ruckus has 4000 miles on it. It's used for day trips through rural areas to places up to 30 miles away. My wife has one, too. We got them so she could learn to ride and get her license.

Here's a way of illustrating that most of our fleet of motorcycles favors small displacement: The sum total of the engine displacements for ALL 6 of the smaller bikes is less than that of the single largest bike's engine. Small bikes, 49+49+144+249+670+670=1831. Goldwing=1832.

Last edited:
Some points from the Revzilla article:-

"Smaller bikes can be cheaper to buy or own".......There is no denying this especially for commuting. However some folks have gone on world tours with the smallest cheapest bikes and come out the other end successfully, and especially more economically.

"It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"......... I totally agree with this and while I realized it many years ago I did not come to this conclusion early enough in my motorcycling life. There is nothing like the feeling of hanging on to much more powerful bikes on tight roads or even keeping ahead of them on a good day.

"Some people like smaller bikes because they physically just fit them better"....... Good point depending on priorities.

"Others go smaller as they age".........This is applicable to me especially of late (age 66). I am not as strong as I used to be, and I have always been of the opinion that I should not be riding a bike that I cannot easily manhandle in a static situation, or where I could not hold on to it if slightly off balance. For that reason I parted with my much loved GL1800 and will eventually part with my much loved Triumph Explorer (but hopefully not too soon).

"The bigger and fancier the bike the more it can isolate you from the experience"........ This one I do not agree with. My former GL was/is one of the biggest bikes on the road. It was a truly amazing motorcycle and its handling belied its great weight. Often when the humour was right it could be hustled along on the tightest of roads in all sorts of company. I rode it many surfaces including on graded gravel roads (where ground clearance would not be an issue) and it took all in its stride. I suppose it could be said it retained its composure where much lighter bikes could be skittish, but I don't believe that could be deemed "isolation".

I enjoy riding all sizes of bikes. I am really getting smaller bikes of late though. My recently acquired CRF250 brings a big smile to face when riding it. I could even see a long trip fully loaded on the horizon for that little bike, who knows ! However I still do enjoy my big bike and hopefully that will continue for some time to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good perspective Griff! I like the view you provide - I'm on the younger side of the spectrum (22).

I gotta say that the closer you get to using 100% of the bike the more fun it is.

I certainly agree, the little bikes are just as much fun as the larger ones, it helps when you get older. I sold my BMW single with 220,000+ miles on it, got a 2012 Honda CBR250R, because I thought the BMW was getting a little too heavy for me. The little CBR250R now has 106,000+ miles on it and still going strong, but I get the itch for a little more power sometimes, so I picked up a lightly used NC700x and I really like it. At 79 years of age, I know it's too heavy for me, but I plan to enjoy it as long as I feel safe on it. Really a sweet, quiet ride and the maintenance is very easy. I still need to get a rear rack and a better windshield.
Ride Safe.

My first 2 street bikes were 250s I loved them. I always thought it was interesting that most people I talked to about the size of my bike were somehow disappointed that it Wasn't a 600 or 1000.

I certainly agree, the little bikes are just as much fun as the larger ones, it helps when you get older. I sold my BMW single with 220,000+ miles on it, got a 2012 Honda CBR250R, because I thought the BMW was getting a little too heavy for me. The little CBR250R now has 106,000+ miles on it and still going strong, but I get the itch for a little more power sometimes, so I picked up a lightly used NC700x and I really like it. At 79 years of age, I know it's too heavy for me, but I plan to enjoy it as long as I feel safe on it. Really a sweet, quiet ride and the maintenance is very easy. I still need to get a rear rack and a better windshield.
Ride Safe.

That's a lot of miles! Are those commuting , pleasure or both?

Ride Safe.

Wow ! Big mileages, good age , good attitude ! Long may that last for You.

Thanks all for the likes. I have a sick wife who has to live near a hospital, so I have her in a rental in town and I stay with her 4 or 5 days a week and go home for 2 or 3 days to keep our home up. Home is 70 miles from the rental, so the miles really add up and I try to make at least one long trip a year.
Ride Safe,
Dan

I think a 250 is in my future....maybe a TW200. Just something to putz around the neighborhood or haulnto the mountains.

Ride Safe.

Very impressive numbers on both you and the CBR. I have a friend with a CRF that said he hopes it makes to 50,000 before it needs rebuilt. I told him about your CBR and that put a smile on his face.
I plan on keeping my NC for a Long distance pack mule and the TW200 for the short trips and trails.
The 250/300cc bikes, like the CBR,V300 and CRF would honestly do all I need nowadays.

I think a 250 is in my future....maybe a TW200. Just something to putz around the neighborhood or haulnto the mountains.

I love my TW and plan to keep it forever, but the CRF my friend has handles the interstate where I wouldn't take the TW. I like the TW better on the trails though. Just because it's easier to touch the ground and pick up. I'll add a CRF or two for my boys though. Then they can pick what they want to ride.

I still love it after all these years, and it's been one of my favourite motorcycles ever owned, despite being slagged as "not a real motorcycle" by 99.9% of the motorbiking fraternity lol

Don't care. :heart: my wee little 2007 CBR125R :eek:

CBR125R 2007.jpg

My 2009 klx250sf I purchased new in 2011. It is kept in storage in Florida. Now the seat on this bike is a true torture device. I think a wooden 2x4 would be better. I put the sheepskin on the bike (wife gave it to me)-it only helps a little.

Back