• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Heidenau is a well know German company that makes great tires, but so is Continental. Why is the Heidenau rear tire recommended by everyone instead of the Continental rear tire?

I have the Continental TKC80 150/70-17 rear tire on my X, I'll make sure to moan loudly and let everyone know how little mileage I get out of mine before having to replace it. :eek:

You can see that the continuous centre tread block of a (150/70-17) Heidenau has much to do with it's great wear characteristics, (and I believe it has a more robust tread compound.)

k601507017_1.jpg

Whereas the TKC80 has no continuous centre tread, less rubber on the road, is softer compound, and can wear into odd profiles, due to squirming around on the pavement more.

tkc80r-600.jpg

An interesting thing to note; however- the Heidenaus of differing sizes, have different tread patterns, and some people have reported that the ones without the continuous centre tread bar, can wear out very quickly compared to the 150 size. (also mentioned is that the other sizes might have softer rubber compounds as well, but I don't know)

heidenau_k60_scout_rear_tire_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
I will have maps and GPS files also.
It would be nice to have multiple GPS's since they don't all show the same info !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Continental TKC80 150/70-17 rear tire on my X, I'll make sure to moan loudly and let everyone know how little mileage I get out of mine before having to replace it. :eek:

You can see that the continuous centre tread block of a (150/70-17) Heidenau has much to do with it's great wear characteristics, (and I believe it has a more robust tread compound.)

View attachment 7010

Whereas the TKC80 has no continuous centre tread, less rubber on the road, is softer compound, and can wear into odd profiles, due to squirming around on the pavement more.

View attachment 7011

An interesting thing to note; however- the Heidenaus of differing sizes, have different tread patterns, and some people have reported that the ones without the continuous centre tread bar, can wear out very quickly compared to the 150 size. (also mentioned is that the othersizes might have softer rubber compounds as well, but I don't know)

View attachment 7012

I think the open tread pattern stops at a 130-17 ( I have a 140-17 on my wifes bike with the same tread pattern as my 150).
If anybody is gonna buy a rear tire just for this trip they might wanna try the Kenda Big Block.It doesn't get the milage that a TKC gets(,although they have improved the latest model) BUT it's way cheaper !!.

I know that Heidenau is a well know German company that makes great tires, but so is Continental. Why is the Heidenau rear tire recommended by everyone instead of the Continental rear tire?

Here's my K60 at alomst 6,000 miles on the Alaska trip.
apydepeg.jpg

And my TKC80 front at the same milage.
buqudu7u.jpg

Will there be any eating places on this trip, or do I bring a lot of Campbell's soup? Also, are there any campgrounds or are we just ruffing it?7.jpg

SmileyCampbellSoup.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not totally sure but I know the Packwood to Ellensburg section has a town at each end.I have heard that there are camp grounds all along the way and primative camping on route.Also there are towns with motel/hotels just off route I have heard.Also gas is available along the route no more than 100 miles apart.

I'm every bit as guilty here ---> :eek: <--- lol, but maybe we are starting to veer off just a wee bit too much from "What did you do to your NC700 today" content in this thread, and into either Tire Tech or Trips, or Videos, heehee. These things have lives of their own, I tell ya.

Regardless, it sure does sound like a fun thing to be planning and looking forward to doing! I hope a thread is made in the Trips section by one of you folks, and lots of pics are shown for the rest of us to drool over :D

Will there be any eating places on this trip, or do I bring a lot of Campbell's soup? Also, are there any campgrounds or are we just ruffing it?

When I took the wife~she was keen on a hot meal and comfortable bed every night which was OK by me (cannot complain that the Mrs. wanted to tackle the WABDR on her 650 gs)

We only brought a few dried meals, a jet boil and 2-person tent for preparedness.

You can rough it (or not) as much as you want-easily doable either way!:eek:

Sometimes it's good to be a parts pack-rat. I dug up an old Axio tail bag that looked good on the Ducati. Wiped the dust off it and mounted it to the rear seat. I think it looks pretty good on the Honda and it'll do for the stuff that needs to be readily accessible.

Axio 1.jpg

Axio 2.jpg

Axio 3.jpg

Just finishes a 4 day, 1600 mile ride through CO, UT and AZ. Great time. Averaged 74 MPG. The best was 81 and the worst was 68 while doing 75 to 80 mph across northern AZ. I like 50 to 65 myself but the guys I was with had other plans. Anyway my first week with the bike was a blast. The Frunk held a can of chain lube, 3 shirts, 1 pair shorts, 3 underwear, 3 pair socks, oil filter wrench, toothpaste, toothbrush razor, rain liner, rain pants, bottle of meds, allen wrench set, pair shoes, extra pair of glasses, and a swim suit. Not dress pants and pressed shirts mind you but I was still impressed!

Attachments

• smileyquestion.jpg
    smileyquestion.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back