• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stick Around... tank guard

TechiePilot

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not normally one for stickers and other things with adhesive being attached to my mode of transport, car or otherwise, but...

Yesterday, I ventured by the store and picked up a tank-guard for my machine. I debated on the colors for a while, and at first I though that clear would be nice, that it won't detract from the 'look', then I remembered seeing my buddy's Ducati 848 with a clear one, and that it didn't look too pristine around the edges due to dust and other contaminants that made their way under the edge, so I went for a darker color. Couldn't quite find black or silver, but I got something close... and it doesn't look too bad actually

IMG-20120913-01099.jpg

It's you techie, definitely you. Is it me or is it upside down?:eek:

Suggestion- remove everything else from your key ring or minimize. Overtime it will rub the paint from around your inition key slot.

Last edited:
I also installed a larger single protector from Pro-Grip, also upside down as it flows better that way.

Sorry for the small pic. You can see the main portion on the "tank". You can also see the little "L" shaped slivers that came with it installed on the sides, right where my knees rub.

xDSC00350x.jpg

Last edited:
What is going to rub the tank there? On sport bikes they are out there so the pants don't rub the front of the tank. They are put on the sides so your knee can grip the tank better

key+pouch+epi+red.jpg

An experienced biker once recommended this type of key pouch. This is safe for bike from scratches (over long term). It is also not too small that you will forget about removing key. And best of all, it is neat, keeps even a spare cash note inside.

I use this one.

What is going to rub the tank there? On sport bikes they are out there so the pants don't rub the front of the tank. They are put on the sides so your knee can grip the tank better

Hmm, I've had one on every tank of every sport bike I have owned. Protects the tank from your jacket zipper (as well as your pants zipper depending on the shape of the tank) when you are leaned over it.

Now, on the NC it's more of a precaution as I will generally not be doing any hunched over riding. But, I did do it the first day since I was riding home in a torrential downpour.

I do not think the rider / jacket will scratch the tank for this bike.
I don't (also) crouch over the tank in any riding position with this bike.
Other than decoration, I think that is the only reason to put this thing.

There are millions of designs out there, shall we start a competition?
:p

Indeed, the zipper of the jacket is a pretty good culprit. Now for some honorable mentions...

tweak89 - Thanks for the pic. My phone cam is set to HiQual by default, and I'm too lazy to change it just before taking the shot. I was robbed! My packet didn't have the extra strips.

FlaNC700X - Thank you. Yes, the guard is intentionally upside down. I wanted more of the material on the lower portion, and I flipped the smaller wing around because it looked different from the norm (not that I'm likely to get my machine mixed up with others).

Happy - Is that faux-leather or fabric? I'll take that under advisement. Presently, all I have attached to my mini-keychain is a plastic flashlight that just happens to have a built-in bottle opener ;-). Might come in handy at the bar..

Rocker66 - funny...

The mini-light came in handy last night. Without that, I would have been fumbling in the dark and scratching up my IG with the keys trying to find the tiny hole. Next, you guys are going to suggest that I put a funnel over the keyhole for guidance :p

Last edited:
Indeed, the zipper of the jacket is a pretty good culprit. Now for some honorable mentions...

tweak89 - Thanks for the pic. My phone cam is set to HiQual by default, and I'm too lazy to change it just before taking the shot. I was robbed! My packed didn't have the extra strips.
FlaNC700X - Thank you. Yes, the guard is intentionally upside down. I wanted more of the material on the lower portion, and I flipped the smaller wing around because it looked different form the norm (not that I'm likely to get my machine mixed up with others.
Happy - Is that faux-leather or fabric? I'll take that under advisement. Presently, all I have attached to my mini-keychain is a plastic flashlight that just happens to have a built-in bottle opener ;-).
Rocker66 - funny...

The mini-light came in handy last night. Without that, I would have been fumbling in the dark and scratching up my IG with the keys truing to find the tiny hole. Next, you guys are going to suggest that I put a funnel over the keyhole for guidance :p

I am sure the West Coast Customs will be able to fit a 21inch Sony Plasma monitor into the false-tank, and it comes up automatically by magic when you press a button on the remote and the bike will auto-start with 2 cleverly disguised subwoofers as the side-pannier boxes belting out "2 cents" or whatever that crap rapper is doing doing doing ya?.
Of course, the seat is pink and wheels are chromes with extra fat tires from Harley Davidson dealers....
Oh yes, Christmas lights come as standard after the pimp.
:p

Nice one Happy. I was thinking more along the lines of led handlebar ends that flash in unison with the turn indicators...that would be the extent of my frankenbike work :p

Back