• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW Motech ALU-Rack or Steel Rack with Honda OEM Saddlebags and Side Mounts

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Searched around and didn't see an answer for this ...

Looking at getting the SW Motech Alu Rack or Steel Rack to mount a small Givi top case. I have the OEM saddlebags and mounts, but not the OEM rear carrier. I'm not crazy about the plastic Honda rear carrier, especially at its price point.

In looking at the installation instructions for the SW Motech Alu and Steel racks, it seems it may not work if I have the Honda OEM saddlebag mounts installed. Can anyone confirm if the SW will work with the Honda OEM side mounts installed? the instructions also seem to indicate some "trimming" of the side rails is required on NC700x ... true?

I want to mount a smaller top case like the 26l Givi E26NC-S. the SW mount will work, and let me go to a bigger top case in the future it I decide to.

thanks.

I do not think the SW Motech rack arms will work with the Honda accessory saddlebag mounts. They bolt up underneath the OEM passenger grab rails and physically occupy the same space as the Honda accessory saddlebag mounts do. However, I have not mounted the Honda ones so this is just from looking at my SW Motech ones and pictures of the Honda ones. I had Givi Monorack arms supporting a Givi top case mount on my 2012 and went the SW Alu-Rack direction with my 2015. The SW Motech top case mount (Alu Rack) is much smaller and cleaner looking when no top case is mounted. The Givi adapter pops on and off in seconds.

The trimming of the plastic trim below the OEM passenger grab rails that the SW Motech arms require is two places about the shape of a triangle 1/4" on a side. It wouldn't be something one would notice unless it was pointed out.

They do not work with the Honda accessories. If you want to go that route, I would look into the Givi mounts and see if there is something that will work. Or you could sell the Honda accessories and go with a different setup all together.

thanks for the fast response. That was the answer I was afraid I was going to get (complete change from the OEM installation). If I had it to do over, I don't think I would have gone with the OEM setup (but I got a good deal from the dealer). As a new rider, I was not familiar with all the variations of saddlebags, top cases, mounting arms, etc. Kinda makes yer head spin.

I agree about making your head spin. I am still working on what top box to get (I have the SWMotech Alu-Rack). I am probably going to end up with the Givi 46 or something close to it. Havent decided yet...

thanks for the fast response. That was the answer I was afraid I was going to get (complete change from the OEM installation). If I had it to do over, I don't think I would have gone with the OEM setup (but I got a good deal from the dealer). As a new rider, I was not familiar with all the variations of saddlebags, top cases, mounting arms, etc. Kinda makes yer head spin.
Yes, I agree. The different websites aren't all that clear about all the options and what works with what. I went with all Givi stuff the first time but since learned a bit more about what I like. Since I have Givi side and top cases which I've used on three bikes now I have to choose racks and mounts to use them.

Back