• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire Replacement Planning

Scorp423

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all - trying to make a plan for service and tire replacement for the impending delivery of my new NCX. As I go however, I am finding that I know far less that what I'd like. Though it may seem elementary, gotta start somewhere right? Here is my first question:

When replacing tires from normal wear, is it better to replace each tire as it comes due or is it better to replace both tires at the same time?

I replace mine when they need it. Depending on your riding style, a front may last a lot longer than the rear.

When replacing tires from normal wear, is it better to replace each tire as it comes due or is it better to replace both tires at the same time?

To answer your question yes it is better to change them as a pair. New rubber is always superior to worn (after being scrubbed in). I don't do this, as others have said replace them as they wear out. And if you are changing brands or model of tires.

for me, I change the front for every other rear tire change. I do try to keep the front and rear the same tire line though.

Tony

I have had bikes where the front to rear wear was 2:1 and it did not make sense to change them together, but I have also had bikes where the wear rates were close enough that changing them together made sense. It is less hassle to change them together and the feeling of new rubber all-around is nice enough that I will "waste" a bit of wear on one or the other (usually the front) in order to do a set change. Also, when I buy them as a set I get free shipping. It looks to me like the Metz tires are going to wear out pretty much together and I am probably going to replace them as sets going forward.

I always replace as a set, batching on rubber will vary slightly, its almost exact but if you have tires that are a year or more apart you can run into formula or batching problems that can cause reactions you might not expect. Not only can batching cause differential reaction in a mixed wear set, but the wear and heat cycles can cause major differences in the way the tire reacts at the contact patch and the side wall. Replace them as a set and consider it part of the cost of all the fun you'll have riding.

I always replaced both front and back at the same time... Even though the front normally got some meat left...

I just like the feeling of having both new tires...

Thanks all for your replies!

I'm glad to hear that I am not locked in to replacing both at the same time if a situation arises where I need to replace just one. Under normal wear and tear circumstances the benefits of replacing both together seem to outweigh the one at a time route.

I am on the 2 rears to 1 front program myself as long as the front still looks good when I'm doing the rear I will leave the front , never had an issue yet :). Plus tires are not cheap so you might as well get all you can out of them as long as they are safe.

You have the Metzlers? How many miles?

trey

I have 8900 miles on mine. I did run them a bit under inflated for quite a while. When I realized I had slow leaks and tightened the valve, I ran them to 42psi. I seemed to eat the center out fairly quick after that.

I am on the 2 rears to 1 front program myself as long as the front still looks good when I'm doing the rear I will leave the front , never had an issue yet :). Plus tires are not cheap so you might as well get all you can out of them as long as they are safe.

Yuup, with all my bikes I have two rear per one front. As my daily riding involves roads not race tracks I figure this 2:1 ratio works just fine.

Well, I just noticed cords showing in one spot. Time to change me rear!! Yikes.

Front is in great shape.

Well past time to replace if cords are showing. They really should be replaced one the wear bars are level with the tread. Any thinner than this and the wet traction can be effected. (That's the reason tires have tread at all).

I keep track of tire wear from new so I can decide to replace one at a time or as a set. The rear was getting to the wear bars when the front had better than 50% of tread depth remaining so I replaced the rear at 8200 miles. Metzeler Z8s.

If the Michelin Pilot Road 3's are still available when I'm ready to replace tires, that's the tire I'm planning to use. Whether or not it's necessary, tires on my vehicles have most always been replaced as a set.

Just ordered a set of Road Pilot 3's. to replace my Metzler's. Metzlers worked fine,just heard alot of good things about the Michelin's and thought I'd give them a try. Have to wait a little while to try them though, snowing out.

Back