• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Van crashed into my NC700X

cleansho94

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I'm not new to bikes but am new to the NC and this forum. Nice to meet you all. Just last week I bought a 2013 NC700X that's in excellent condition with only about 5000kms on it. So far I love the bike. Unfortunately though, this past Saturday I was out for a ride with the wife and was involved in a minor accident. I was behind a van on a road which has sections that are only one lane. The van and I had both stopped to let another vehicle pass. The driver of the van suddenly put it into reverse to backup and give the other vehicle more space. He obviously didn't know I was behind him, and in a matter of seconds collided with my bike. His rear bumper went up over my front wheel and was wedged under the front fender. Luckily he stopped there, and the bike didn't fall over. He was moving relatively slow so the impact was not very hard. It did however tweak his bumper quite a bit. I could not find any real damage to the bike other than some scratches on the underside of the front fender. His bumper never contacted with my wheel or forks, it was just sitting on the tire. After the incident, I rode the bike back to home including some highway use and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. No vibrations or pulling to one side or the other.

What do you guys think, do you think an accident like this is likely to cause any real damage to my forks (bending etc) or the wheel itself? I can't see any visual damage to either and the bike is riding smooth, I'm just worried though that maybe there may be some underlying damage. I might just be being paranoid...

b1cb530a9cc416662e9ae3d550eae359.jpg

ed5161b42190f61c614c1e85b8647198.jpg

8cb06810a1abe0dc3f4e7eac2357db5d.jpg

Last edited:
I think you should take your bike into a dealer and explain what occurred.
They may want to check out your front rim, brakes, and all cables.
Sounds like the van did not get back far enough to have any type of effect on anything behind the front when assembly.
But then there could have been some unseen bending going on at the top of the triple tree.
Is the bike's rake and trail the same?
Did your bike lose a few inches in length?
You may want to have this all checked out.
I do not know anything about Hong Kong and if insurance is mandatory or not.
Do you have insurance?
Does the van driver have insurance?
Did you get his drivers information?
Did you get his license number?
Was a police report taken that you can refer back to?
Was anything told to your insurance (if you have any) yet?

These are some keys to have repair if any is needed.
But I would have a certified dealer take a look at your bike.
Hate to head down the road at a higher speed and have something nasty occur to the bikes front end.

Some thoughts!

God bless!!

Michael

I think you should take your bike into a dealer and explain what occurred.
They may want to check out your front rim, brakes, and all cables.
Sounds like the van did not get back far enough to have any type of effect on anything behind the front when assembly.
But then there could have been some unseen bending going on at the top of the triple tree.
Is the bike's rake and trail the same?
Did your bike lose a few inches in length?
You may want to have this all checked out.
I do not know anything about Hong Kong and if insurance is mandatory or not.
Do you have insurance?
Does the van driver have insurance?
Did you get his drivers information?
Did you get his license number?
Was a police report taken that you can refer back to?
Was anything told to your insurance (if you have any) yet?

These are some keys to have repair if any is needed.
But I would have a certified dealer take a look at your bike.
Hate to head down the road at a higher speed and have something nasty occur to the bikes front end.

Some thoughts!

God bless!!

Michael
Thanks for the advice Michael

Yes, in HK we are required to have insurance and the laws are quite strict about it. We did call the police at the time of the incident and they came and made a report. We have not reported it to insurance yet. There is only one official Honda dealer here and their service is terrible. They told me their shop is fully booked until December, which is ridiculous. So I took the bike to a local mechanic I know and let him look over the bike. Though he wasn't exactly thorough about it in my opinion. He didn't even test ride it. He seems to think after looking at the forks, wheel and front brake that there is no damage done other than the scratches on the underside of the fender. As a result, I asked the driver to pay me for the cost of a new OEM fender + labor + a bit more for my time and trouble. Just hoping I didn't make a big mistake by not having it checked more thoroughly.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Wow, you were very very fortunate. In more ways than one. It looks to me like the tire absorbed all of the stress and pressure associated with the collision. A few more inches and hard parts probably would have begun taking the load and showing damage. I have to believe that even very minor damage to the wheel or forks or alignment would show up instantly to you once you took off again. The ride itself will be more telling than any visual inspection. JMHO.

Glad you're ok!

Wow, you were very very fortunate. In more ways than one. It looks to me like the tire absorbed all of the stress and pressure associated with the collision. A few more inches and hard parts probably would have begun taking the load and showing damage. I have to believe that even very minor damage to the wheel or forks or alignment would show up instantly to you once you took off again. The ride itself will be more telling than any visual inspection. JMHO.

Glad you're ok!
Yes, explained to my wife how lucky we were, it could have been much, much worse. Yes the bike seems to be riding fine, so I'll take it as only cosmetic damage to my fender for now.

Hope I have many accident free miles to come on this great bike!

It does not look too bad.

I think you will be fine.

Take it easy first time or two around the block and see how it feels.

Watch to see if it pulls one way or another.

Also, listen for any noises that were not there before.

I agree 100% with Short Time.

It looks like the rubber absorbed the hit.

All that metal and breakable plastic and and they hit a tire.

If your going to get hit, that is the place and the way.

You and your wife stay safe!!!

God bless!!

Michael

As I told you on the UK forum, please have the tyre checked out as the tyre carcass may be damaged internally and it will involve removing the tyre. It will only cost about £10 to have it checked - depends what your priorities are - money or your safety.

As I told you on the UK forum, please have the tyre checked out as the tyre carcass may be damaged internally and it will involve removing the tyre. It will only cost about £10 to have it checked - depends what your priorities are - money or your safety.
Yes, actually safety is of course my main concern, not cost. That's why I took it to a mechanic straight away to get it checked out. He already gave the bike a clean bill of health but I will still be keeping an eye on it.

Back