• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What do you do to be more "visible"?

My commute is short , however I want to be well seen. I'm usually riding just before sun up and come home during mid to late afternoon.

image.jpg

Gear: mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder and back pads.
Over pants with knee pads, hi-vis helmet (dot & snell rated), hi vis safety vest, gloves.

Bike: reflective rim tape, hi intensity Denali aux lights, rear led givi trunk lights, extra loud horn.

Last edited:
For some reason when I post photos from an iPhone the photos come out side ways. Don't know how to fix that???
It doesn't do it on my other cell phone (droid4).

My commute is short , however I want to be well seen. I'm usually riding just before sun up and come home during mid to late afternoon.

View attachment 8161

Gear: mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder and back pads.
Over pants with knee pads, hi-vis helmet (dot & snell rated), hi vis safety vest, gloves.

Bike: reflective rim tape, hi intensity Denali aux lights, rear led givi trunk lights, extra loud horn.

Don't get me the wrong way, please.
If I have to wear something like this (like a construction working personnel), I'd stay home and watch my grass grow.
Seriously.
Is the traffic that bad?
:(

If I have to wear something like this (like a construction working personnel), I'd stay home and watch my grass grow.
Seriously.
Is the traffic that bad?

I have lived in several states during my 21 years in the army. Each location was different. I currently live in Arkansas. They seem pretty motorcycle concious. Especially in the areas where all the bikers ride. Even my commute into Little Rock has been uneventful (knock on wood).

When I lived in North Carolina it wasn't to bad either. Tacoma Washington and surrounding area could get a little hairy. The locatin I just left in Illinois was tough too. There were three motorcycle fatalities in the last two years I lived there. Italy was awesome.

It seems like the heavier and more conjested the traffic the higher chance you'll have issues. Like bigger cities. People are not patient and they want to get through traffic so they get aggressive. They spend less time looking before they act and they miss the motorcycles coming up in there blind spot.

You can tell your in an area where motorcycle accidents are common. There will be signs everywhere with the words "Start Seeing Motorcycles".

Of course this is all my personal opinion.

I was nearly creamed the other day on my morning commute. I wear hi-viz, but no clothes, horn or lights would have made a bit of difference. I was in the inside lane of a 4-lane street. The right lane was slow with a bus turning right. An impatient commuter was turning left toward me from the street the bus was turning onto. The car simply gambled that no one was on the other side of the bus and I'm sure he was as surprized as I was when he nearly ate me for breakfast. I swerved around him in a heart thump.

Basically, commuters are frequently in too much of a hurry to make safe decisions and they are often willing to put other people's lives at risk to jump at what they think is a break in the traffic. No way to change that.

In the days since that happened I have chosen to ride in the slow right hand lane along that stretch where idiots are turning left. It's a lot slower and also a lot safer. I do my best, but I don't take anything for granted.

I try to always be aware of my surroundings. Trying to avoid blind spots of vehicles. At times I do toot my horn if I see a car turning in front if me (just to remind him or her I am here).

San Francisco Bay Area has alot of traffic congestion especially on the bridges. I also work on the fastrak systems on the bridge so I see all sorts of accidents and near accidents every single day.
About a 2 month ago, a Yamaha sport bike was hit by a car. The car didn't see the bike. The car changed lanes at the last minute to go through an open toll lane. Thus basically squeezing out the bike. Not a good sight! Motorcycle guy in ambulance, bike towed to parking lot then went to the Yamaha dealer. Most likely the bike is totaled.

Usually when not in commute hours I drop the hi-vis vest. I do always wear my hi-vis helmet though.

So this is why I wear what I wear. There is a reason. Especially when your doing a commute when the sun is not completely up as yet.

Ken

Last edited:
Some people I have seen in MI wear odd outfits to make a driver remember that "hey darth vader is back to my right". I don't think I would dress up for a daily commute but it does make sense to me. Make sure you're seen and remembered.

I live in a small town with not to much traffic so it may not be as easy to do in high traffic areas. But despite the loud colored clothing and all of that. When I am riding next to a vehicle I try to get up and ride even with the their front tire so that way they know I am there... But there are always those people that pay absolutely no attention when driving... Its funny how much more you notice peoples "bad driving habbits" when you are on a motorcycle. haha

Seriously.
Is the traffic that bad?
You will be the most stylishly dressed motorcyclist in the hospital emergency. (and no, I don't wish that on anyone ... not for real.)

the vest is cheap, versatile, and effective.

I believe that drivers aren't looking for bikes, they are looking for cars when they check their mirrors or look for oncoming traffic. Way too many bike/cage wreaks have the statement "I just didn't see the bike" to think otherwise. In traffic, I ride like I am invisible and that every cage on the road is going to hit me. I always have my "out" planned. I stay out of blind spots. It's second nature now, I don't even really think about doing it, I just do it.

I'm sure that bright colors help, but I'm also sure that your best protection is in between your ears, use your mind, think ahead a few moves, know what is around you to the limit of your horizon on all sides. Pay attention.

I must admit I don't do anything to make myself more visible. I wear black leather jacket with black motorcycle jeans. There's quite a few people in the UK who wear high visibility tops, but I'm not one of them.

Sadly no matter what we wear or what we add to our bikes it will not help with drivers who don't look or just don't care

That's kind of how I look at it. I stick to being color coordinated with the bike. At the same time something in me say it doesn't hurt to try. I've got the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Buy a Yellow helemt, No buy a Grey.

The drivers out there that will not give up texting WILL cause a wreck and they will not see you regardless of what color your wearing until after they have hit you. Heck, they may not even know they hit you.

It's a decision you make. I don't blame anyone for wearing all high vis yellow. It isn't safe in lots of places. I am fortunate. I feel fairly safe where I ride.

I am definitely much more cautious in the dark. I check my mirrors often but being honest I use them more for lane changing. I don't check them often enough while just criusing on the hioghway. I most likely would not have seen the fast approaching car either.

You have to wonder? Was he speeding or were they driving really slow? Regardless he should have been paying attention.

Unbelievable: Ohio state trooper slams into motorcycle
After seeing this video, riding at night seems a bit scarier. Maybe OCR is right, you need to ride fast enough for them to pick you up on radar. At least they will know you are there.
That trooper should lose his job. Or at least get demoted to bicycle cop.
Currently my only nod to visibility is a white helmet - I wear black pants and a black leather jacket. I haven't had the time/money to add more lights to the bike, though it's on the list. If I ever get custom gear made it'll be at least part hi viz fabric. I have a safety vest, but only wear it to get on Navy bases or on trips, as it flaps around and rides up, I'm always fiddling with it.

I also have added the front and rear led lights, I think they really make you stand out. I have seen other bikes with this set up out on the road and they are more visible. They can be blocked by vehicles beside or in front of you quite easily.

Back