• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What do you recommend?

Of all the "bigger" bikes out there, and by that I mean +1000cc, my favorite right now is the new KTM 1190 adventure bike. It looks amazing (not having a beak really helps IMO), has a really well sorted engine and suspension package, and looks like it would be a decent 2-up touring bike with a good set of bags. I'm no adventure bike buyer (I have dirt bikes for that), but that is one in that class I wouldn't mind in my garage. That's how I'd do it. Sub 900cc bike for the daily grind, and the big KTM for the weekend. If only it was a perfect world....

Of all the "bigger" bikes out there, and by that I mean +1000cc, my favorite right now is the new KTM 1190 adventure bike. It looks amazing (not having a beak really helps IMO), has a really well sorted engine and suspension package, and looks like it would be a decent 2-up touring bike with a good set of bags. I'm no adventure bike buyer (I have dirt bikes for that), but that is one in that class I wouldn't mind in my garage. That's how I'd do it. Sub 900cc bike for the daily grind, and the big KTM for the weekend. If only it was a perfect world....
After readding the Colorado off road adventure including some KTMs and an NC I would shy away from a KTM and get a bigger Honda. They had to make daily repairs to KTMs and NC did fine. Read for yourself here: CannonTrek.CO - Bashing Big Bikes in the Backcountry of Colorado - ADVrider

Well the Veradero 1000 would be a fine bike also, if you can find one. But other than that, Honda doesn't really have a big adventure bike game. My experiences with KTM have all been very positive, though limited to their dirt bike lineup. All the bikes are very well thought out and put together, and very easy to work on when it's necessary. Since none of those KTMs in the link you posted were the new 1190 Adventure, I don't see a reason to shy away from one. But to each their own.

1. Are you a serious biker or just a recreation biker?

2. If you will only ride bikes, then you may like a fun bike (aka more powerful etc) for weekends or touring etc. Keep the NC as commuter tool.

3. If you are a weekend warrior like me, having multiple bikes mean you will end up favouring one and neglecting the others. If money is no object, then buy as many as you like.

4. Be contented with what you have and not continuously lust for what you dont have. There are always newer bikes and prettier women / men out there.
:p

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

What bike? Your satisfaction will depend on matching a bike to the type riding you have in mind. There are a lot of great bikes out there. Pick one and make it fit you, bars, pegs, wind protection...

I have eight bikes now, that's at least 4 to many. I have an 06 FJR. incredible bike for eating interstate miles, or 2 lane. More fun than an NC? Not for me. I find the NC is the bike most likely to leave the garage. Why? because it FUN. The NC is practical, light and easy to flick around, stops good, 200 miles on a tank of fuel, and storage too! Do I want to take the NC on a 3,000 mi trip? Maybe, but the FJR is the first choice for that duty.

I bought an ST1100 new, and sold it with 80,000 miles, loved that bike. Now that same ST would feel heavy with soft suspension. I replaced it with an ST1300 loved the motor, but the heat pouring out of the engine bay was cooking my legs any day the temperature was over 90F. I added Honda line spoilers, no help. Sold it in about 3 mo. Others don't have an issue with the ST 1300 in the heat.
That's when I bought the FJR. I had a 2008 Goldwing, for me it was a big fat PIG, great on the freeway, way better than it should be on 2 lane, GPS, heated grips, radio ahhh luxury. All that and and 33 MPG. For me the Goldwing was to heavy for everyday stop and slow city traffic. I sold it in less than 3 months. I'm happy I didn't sell the FJR. Most recently, I sold my Harley XR1200, the sporty Harley. The XR had a great motor, clunky transmission, and was at least 100 lbs over weight. Sold it.

What bike? Your satisfaction will depend on matching a bike to the type riding you have in mind. There are a lot of great bikes out there. Pick one and make it fit you, bars, pegs, wind protection...

I have eight bikes now, that's at least 4 to many. I have an 06 FJR. incredible bike for eating interstate miles, or 2 lane. More fun than an NC? Not for me. I find the NC is the bike most likely to leave the garage. Why? because it FUN. The NC is practical, light and easy to flick around, stops good, 200 miles on a tank of fuel, and storage too! Do I want to take the NC on a 3,000 mi trip? Maybe, but the FJR is the first choice for that duty.

I bought an ST1100 new, and sold it with 80,000 miles, loved that bike. Now that same ST would feel heavy with soft suspension. I replaced it with an ST1300 loved the motor, but the heat pouring out of the engine bay was cooking my legs any day the temperature was over 90F. I added Honda line spoilers, no help. Sold it in about 3 mo. Others don't have an issue with the ST 1300 in the heat.
That's when I bought the FJR. I had a 2008 Goldwing, for me it was a big fat PIG, great on the freeway, way better than it should be on 2 lane, GPS, heated grips, radio ahhh luxury. All that and and 33 MPG. For me the Goldwing was to heavy for everyday stop and slow city traffic. I sold it in less than 3 months. I'm happy I didn't sell the FJR. Most recently, I sold my Harley XR1200, the sporty Harley. The XR had a great motor, clunky transmission, and was at least 100 lbs over weight. Sold it.

What a bike SLUT...! :p
(meant in the most respectful and envious way....)
:D

Well I have a VFR as my second bike. It's a great one up sport touring machine. If your wanting something sporty (sportbike) there are tons of choices for blasting around the curves on.

But you really have to figure out what kind of riding you want to do with it. For 2 up distance riding a FJR or ST or a concourse is a good choice. I personally don't see them as a one up distance bike as it's overkill for one rider IMO.

On/OFF road maybe a KLR or suzuki DR400. If your really good off-road a KTM would really fit that style of riding.

It really depends on what your wanting to do with it that is different than you would do on your NCX.

The european brands are great but maintenance is more costly.

I think the Grom or three would be a blast for hanging off the back of an RV. I may end up with three of them for my two boys and me someday.

If you are considering the sport touring category, try looking for a used NT700V. Power is more than you have. Gas mileage is not to bad. It is comfortable for long distance touring and has built in storage. Wind management and protection from the elements is quite good. It doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but does everything pretty good. There isn't another bike in this category of being a sport touring bike with a medium sized engine.

Chris

If you want bigger I'd check out the new Versys 1000. It will be super comfy, fast, and good for long distance touring. If you want smaller go for the grom or something like a small enduro. Don't,... don't get a similar displacement bike unless you want to get bored with one of them.

Go all out and order a Motus MSTR. American made proprietary V-4. Amazing bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the OP:

The forum members can sit here all day and tell you the bikes they've owned that they loved, bikes they currently own and the bikes they would buy if they won the lottery, but that doesn't necessarily mean any of those bikes would suit your needs. The members of this forum are immensely helpful, but none of us can really help you until you answer the basic questions you've been asked a few times now.

Why do you want a second bike? What type of riding are you looking to do? What do you want out of another bike that the NC700 doesn't deliver. We aren't asking these questions because we are being critical of you or because we are defensive of the NC700. We're asking so that we can provide you the best guidance based on the experience we have.

For example... are you looking to learn to ride off road? Then we would recommend a light dual-sport or an endure bike. Are you looking to do track days on a budget? Then we will tell you to look at the small sport bikes Ninja 300, CBR300, R3, etc. Do you want something with longer legs for long trips on the super slab? Then the FJR would be a good bet for you. See what I mean? You're asking us to help you decide what should be your second bike but giving us no parameters to work with. Further confusing to me is other than the FJR the other bikes you mentioned are in the same general category as the NC.

Now, that said I'll give you my personal recommendation knowing nothing about you and only speaking from my own bias. Get a used Supermoto (DR400SM, WR250X, etc.) They are incredibly fun to ride, cheap, much aftermarket support and it's easy to throw a set of dirt wheels and tires on them and take them off-roading too. But, as said above, that is my recommendation based on my personal bias.

Why do people ask the same questions and then another group will tell exactly the same answers?
Oh dear, I am too old for this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back