• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What riding gear would you buy NOW if you were buying?

My experience with anything designed to do everything is that it doesn't excel at anything.I have my stitch for Fall,winter and spring and a mesh jacket for summer !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not read each post beginning to end though offer a few thoughts...
Never really wore proper riding gear prior and find it hard to train myself to do so now even though older, maybe smarter.

problem I blame on the darn heat in Florida. I do have two different brands of riding paints, both used...
one bmw with liner insert thu with side and knee pads and the other OSI pants with some sort of graded plastic knee inserts. It is weird, on a rode trip out of state, with cooler temps I will wear the stuff less so in Florida.

Also got a OSI, left over, lime green mesh jacket longer length with warm insert liner. Unfunny thing is wih my big ass givi 52liter box cars behind probably don't see the green on the jacket much. Maybe our bikes need large green/orange stickers as well.

In the end would suggest getting and wearing as much as you feel comfortable buying and can afford to spend. Read about some gear that even offers rib cage protection so maybe that is something to consider as well if interested. To me key is not wearing things that make riding the bike so uncomfortable that it detracts from awareness on the road.

Like others have a shorter black mesh jacket as well just wish the color was different. Might have to look for xxx large t-shirts in lime green to put over it now and then.

The idea of a one piece sounds good, just not 100% certain I would like to use it in Florida.

Last edited:
Try Aerostich.com for a pair of Darien Light britches. There's usually a sale list, too.

I'm still looking for the right commuting pants. Rev'it Axis Pants are the best so far, but their side button arrangement is a pain, while the whole length zippers are amazing. I had to take the knee armor out because it was too low, even with the adjustable velcro (it doesn't stay in place). I have a pair of FirstGear TPG Escape Pants, which are awesome with two flaws. First the zipper doesn't go all the way up (so I don't use them regularly) and the hip armor is too low.

I think ideally I'd love to find something like the Rev'it Axis Pants with the true waterproofness of the FirstGear TPG Escape Pants and with armor that actually sits properly. Long term I may have to try Klim or Held I think.

I worked with a guy that had a swiss army knife type. IIRC It was a Joe Rocket Alter Ego. I've never tried one myself, but he really liked his. At any rate I think they still make them. If you google joe rocket alter ego, or just joe rocket you should be able to get some info on them.

Bob
My next jacket will be a hi-viz Joe Rocket Alter Ego. I usually need a jacket with liner in the mornings heading to work, but by the time I come home, need a mesh jacket. Getting the Alter Ego will allow me to only need the one jacket.
If you like leather jackets, the British Motorcycle Gear Montana jacket looks great, is very soft and flexible and comfortable. Too warm for hot weather riding, but good in the mornings.
I'm also looking at the British Motorcycle Gear Mercury jacket, which I will probably also end up with. I have been pleased with their stuff.
For a helmet, get what you like that has the features you want. Having an inner tinted visor is a great feature as well as built-in bluetooth. I like lighter colors and hi-viz in particular to help you be seen. I have the Caberg Justissimo GT and it's a nice helmet, but it doesn't fit in the frunk. Not a terrible thing, but it would be nice if it did.
I have the Joe Rocket Ballistic overpants. They have worked well for about 8 years with re-waterproofing every other year. The side zipper on the left leg gave out yesterday, but 8 years isn't bad. They are really warm in hot weather, though.
I don't really have a recommendation for boots. I have been wearing Danner boots for the whole time I have been riding and haven't found any dedicated motorcycle boots that I like otherwise. The Sidi Onroad boots were highly recommended by others.
Hope this helps!
-Tom

Last edited:
I worked with a guy that had a swiss army knife type. IIRC It was a Joe Rocket Alter Ego. I've never tried one myself, but he really liked his. At any rate I think they still make them. If you google joe rocket alter ego, or just joe rocket you should be able to get some info on them.

Bob

Problem that I have with the Joe Rocket Alter Ego is it is a waist length jacket. I am looking for a 3/4 length to cover my butt :)

Pulled the trigger and bought the Alpinestars Cape Town jacket - and am very happy I did!
It is everything I was looking for, longer 3/4 length, has 2 zip in liners (one waterproof membrane, then a quilted warmer liner) and mega-vents on the chest & back.
Lots of pockets, the fit is good for me (had to go 4XXL size because I'm a big guy and was told these run a bit small) and the finish is great, solid construction and material used seem very good quality.
Stylish too - for that adventure touring look - I got the Hi-Viz yellow/black color combo for the 'I didn't see him' cagers. I should stand out out real good in a crowd now along with my hi-viz helmet!

If you were to go down, the first thing that will touch the ground will be you hands. So, Gloves come first. Right now summer gloves that air flows threw.
If you have riding gear you are happy with now and the gear fits and is functional, why change. If you must upgrade, buy higher tear factor. This keeps more skin on your body.
Comfort is also another first. A new seat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!8.jpg

SmileyGloves.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I would by Rev'it gear (it's what i currently use). I am skinny, so it fits me much better than north american made gear. It's very high quality and the all seasons gear has good venting for summer riding, provided the temperture is not very hot and you are not in stop and go traffic. It's expensive compared to most other gear (though still cheaper than BMW gear!), but everything else I tried on was not nearly as comfortable as this. I would reccomend trying on as many different brands as possible that are within your budget.

Regarding the fit for Rev'it, it fits tighter than most other gear, and I have heard from normal and heavier sized people that they order one size larger than what they would for other gear. I would definately reccomend trying this on in a store rather than buying it on line based on the size you currently wear.

Jay

I already went [on the way via RevZilla] for ICON (mix of Hooligan, Anthem and Stryker) gear.

All lightweight, mesh and with loads of ventilation... and all stealth black! Which is just what I was looking for!
I obviously need the gear for local weather conditions, do not plan (at least not in the nearest future) any trips to Alaska etc... ;)

Wonder what will come first... bike or gear? :cool:

I would by Rev'it gear (it's what i currently use). I am skinny, so it fits me much better than north american made gear. It's very high quality and the all seasons gear has good venting for summer riding, provided the temperture is not very hot and you are not in stop and go traffic. It's expensive compared to most other gear (though still cheaper than BMW gear!), but everything else I tried on was not nearly as comfortable as this. I would reccomend trying on as many different brands as possible that are within your budget.

Regarding the fit for Rev'it, it fits tighter than most other gear, and I have heard from normal and heavier sized people that they order one size larger than what they would for other gear. I would definately reccomend trying this on in a store rather than buying it on line based on the size you currently wear.

Jay

Sue and I have been using Rev'it gear for years and would certainly recommend it. Bye the I'm certainly not skinny

BTW, am I the only person who doesn't understand why gear designed for hot weather would be available only in black?

Hello! We have a winner. It seems like this would be a "well, duh" moment for gear makers but you are right.

After reading another thread about gear I just realized they have started making GOOD riding gear that is convertible from Mesh to waterproof, and even good in the colder months with zip in liners or panels. The only thing I remembered being available with mesh gear was a basic rain suit to go under or over the mesh jacket and pants.
I like the idea of it being more integrated into the gear now.

You don't have to stop as the weather changes with the complete packages being offered. Just keep riding,riding,riding and riding.7.jpg

SmileyTwoThumbsWink.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! We have a winner. It seems like this would be a "well, duh" moment for gear makers but you are right.

That is absolutely not true.
For one - my Olympia is not black, there are many others!

P1080618.jpg

That is absolutely not true.
For one - my Olympia is not black, there are many others!

View attachment 5411

I have one of those in Spaceman Silver as well. It is a great suit when it is 2 danged hot to ride. The only issue with it is to make sure that you stay hydrated on long rides because the airflow will dry you out like a clothes dryer.

The most important piece is the one you wear. Buy what you like, be it fabric or leather, but wear it. Skin leaves the body just a well in the summer, as skin will leave the body in the winter.
Three easy factors to this equation - you Like it - It Fits you - you Wear it.6.jpg

SmileyTalkingHands.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back