• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's stopping you from getting an AT

Get a tank bag. Surprising things can pop out of a motorcycle tank bag.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bNg-xClEnqM[/video]

View attachment 33134
I really don't miss the frunk, I have a tank bag for trips and a top case for around town. For trips, my top case becomes one of a pair of sidecases and I strap a duffle, etc, to my luggage rack. I'm using the altrider luggage rack with the monokey connection adapter.
I'm surprised I don't miss the frunk, at first I thought I wouldn't know what to do without it.
Now that being said, the NC is still a brilliant bike all around and I was glad to see the similarities that I did.

Tank bags are a unnecessary evil I can and do without whenever I can. No deciding whether to take one or not, no rain covers that leak in the rain, no deciding whether or not to leave the bag in sight and unattended while I go into the gas station/store/restaurant, no leaving it on the the back seat while riding away from a gas stop (I'm a slow learner, done it twice).

I test rode an AT about a month ago and I really wanted to like it but my 32" inseam had me just a little too high up when stopped to feel comfortable. That plus the fact that it just seems like a big, heavy dirt bike and I only ride pavement. If Honda made something a little smaller, lighter, more street-oriented and with the same power and DCT I would be all over it.

It's too much of an off road bike.

I note that, even when camping, I have to go 99% of the way on Interstates.
Then usually a packed dirt road to get to the fire ring.
My life doesn't need the fire-power of the AT.
Oh... and I really like being married too....

I would never have made the change, even after the test ride, if I had managed to get the suspension right on my NC. An NC or a derivative is still on the horizon for me and that is one other reason why I have remained on this forum. For now my AT is doing a good job. After all I no longer have to wear my body belt when on the rough backroads that I enjoy. I was asked recently if I would get another AT. My answer was " I honestly don't know".

You don't need an off road bike to ride in the dirt.

[video=facebook_share;1605076276173345]https://www.facebook.com/bilkofmx/videos/1605076276173345/[/video]

You do need the ability to pick the MC up now and then though.

Last edited:
For me the frunk has its pros and cons. When I take long trips, I usually need extra storage which I achieve through strapping a dry bag (dry backpack) over the pillion seat. I just use bungee cords and it's not that big a deal, but then every time I need to refuel, I have to take that off/put it back on. I've got a Dale's rear rack on the way which will likely resolve that problem, but that was one of the issues I experienced that I didn't care for. Not an issue, I guess, with the frunk itself, but resulting from the frunk's location. Nevertheless, another $200 thrown at the bike should resolve that issue.

That being said, on my Vee, I never miss the frunk. Will be ordering a Givi tank bag which utilizes the locking system.

Well I went and test rode both bikes today(Africa twin and VFR1200X) and came away just as bamboozeled. So much I had to break out the computer. Long story short, Both bikes are a definite step up from the NC. The upgraded hardware was a very welcome change. I instantly noticed when I hopped back on the NC the differences. Clutch lever reach, peg hight, power, and weight. It was almost alien to me. So still not where I wanted to be after riding them, I was hoping one would jump out but not even close.

Well I went and test rode both bikes today(Africa twin and VFR1200X) and came away just as bamboozeled. So much I had to break out the computer. Long story short, Both bikes are a definite step up from the NC. The upgraded hardware was a very welcome change. I instantly noticed when I hopped back on the NC the differences. Clutch lever reach, peg hight, power, and weight. It was almost alien to me. So still not where I wanted to be after riding them, I was hoping one would jump out but not even close.
It sounds like you had a fun day anyway. For me there was no contest, I just had to sit on them to know which felt like it fit. I know decision making can be stressful, but getting to play with different bikes has got to be fun.

It sounds like you had a fun day anyway. For me there was no contest, I just had to sit on them to know which felt like it fit. I know decision making can be stressful, but getting to play with different bikes has got to be fun.

It's fairly clear a few hours later..... Despite the tube tires and the fact it's 50/50 but going to see more road use.... The at has the edge as being exactly the bike I thought it would be. The vfr1200x was good but what am I going to do with a v4 and what not.

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

Yes, the real answer in selecting a motorcycle. IT FIT!!

The bike has to fit your body and your needs............

So folks in on the edge of taking the plunge to the africa twin. Anyone else switch from the Nc to the at? What did you notice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What's stopping you from getting an AT?"

Not a thing.
Traded in my 2015 NC700XD
for a Rally Red 2016 CRF1000L.

What did you notice?
The ergonomics is short of amazing.
Unusually many riders of different shape and form say
it fits like a glove, everything is in its right place.

For me, it was not a "plunge" but a giant step up from the NC
as far as what type of riding you can do on a motorcycle.
From my experience, the NC is very capable but the fun fades fast in most situations,
whereas the Africa Twin can dish it out and still has more to give.

"What's stopping you from getting an AT?"

Not a thing.
Traded in my 2015 NC700XD
for a Rally Red 2016 CRF1000L.

What did you notice?
The ergonomics is short of amazing.
Unusually many riders of different shape and form say
it fits like a glove, everything is in its right place.

For me, it was not a "plunge" but a giant step up from the NC
as far as what type of riding you can do on a motorcycle.
From my experience, the NC is very capable but the fun fades fast in most situations,
whereas the Africa Twin can dish it out and still has more to give.

Absolutely. I felt right at home on the AT. I wasn't left wanting on anything. I realized later in the day that I was so comfortable on the it that's why I was sorta underwhelmed. But everything about it felt right. I definitely enjoyed the available torque and power and I realized immediately after getting back on my nc the things the AT got so much better. I'm working out the final details today for the trade.

Congrats!
Are you getting a 2017 Tricolor?

As a fact I am. The dealer wanted to sell me the demo model with 40 miles on it but in the back I spied that tricolor.

Absolutely. I felt right at home on the AT. I wasn't left wanting on anything. I realized later in the day that I was so comfortable on the it that's why I was sorta underwhelmed. But everything about it felt right. I definitely enjoyed the available torque and power and I realized immediately after getting back on my nc the things the AT got so much better. I'm working out the final details today for the trade.

Say ain't so!! Wanna trade windshield before the trade? :)

Ah okay. I thought it was going to be one of those impulse trade ins. My two month old 20 inch Madstad windshield seemed tad bit short for me. Just checking.

Back