• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's stopping you from getting an AT

Ah okay. I thought it was going to be one of those impulse trade ins. My two month old 20 inch Madstad windshield seemed tad bit short for me. Just checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha no this is not an impulse buy. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks. Gonna make sure I get my good stuff off the nc and get it out to the people who will use it.

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

Congrats!
I just want to throw out there that while I love my AT, it is quite literally double the price of the NC. I made the choice to spend the extra money because I was in a position to afford it, but when we're talking nitpicky things like ergonomics and slightly less nitpicky things like horsepower, I think it's important to remember the smiles to miles to $$$ ratios, too.

Congrats!
I just want to throw out there that while I love my AT, it is quite literally double the price of the NC. I made the choice to spend the extra money because I was in a position to afford it, but when we're talking nitpicky things like ergonomics and slightly less nitpicky things like horsepower, I think it's important to remember the smiles to miles to $$$ ratios, too.

Oh yeah it is well worth the $$$ for the smiles and happiness every time I get on it.

As a fact I am. The dealer wanted to sell me the demo model with 40 miles on it but in the back I spied that tricolor.

Awesome.
It pays to wait.
although I am happy with the Rally Red.

Congrats!
One should not look at vehicle purchases as an investment.
But this one, I can't help but realize it was the best investment I made,
in terms of ROI, not measured in $$$ but bli$$
:rolleyes:

One should not look at vehicle purchases as an investment.
But this one, I can't help but realize it was the best investment I made,
in terms of ROI, not measured in $$$ but bli$$
:rolleyes:
My point was that the fun in riding an NC is a much better economic value. I made the choice to spend a lot more money for a bike I preferred, but not everyone would be comfortable with that and that's ok. I didn't want the thread to seem like "AT über alles!" because you are indeed doubling your initial cost. It was worth it for me, but I think it was a tough choice. I'm happy for the OP for getting the bike he wants!

My point was that the fun in riding an NC is a much better economic value. I made the choice to spend a lot more money for a bike I preferred, but not everyone would be comfortable with that and that's ok. I didn't want the thread to seem like "AT über alles!" because you are indeed doubling your initial cost. It was worth it for me, but I think it was a tough choice. I'm happy for the OP for getting the bike he wants!

I agree with both. It's not a financial investment but and investment in my sanity and heaps of fun im gonna have on this bike

Went to get a washer, oil and filter for my NC at the local Honda Dealership during lunch by my work and they just happened to have a brand spanking new White/red/blue AT with the gold rims...

OMG...

That has to be the most comfortable bike I have ever sat on. It fits me like a glove. I could just sit flat footed on it and on the side stand I put both feet up and it felt like a comfortable chair.
And it's like 100% sexier in person...

2017_Honda_AfricaTwin_Base.jpg

SON OF A BIATCH...

I want one.

Not anytime soon as $13K is "my wife would kill me dead" money. But damn it, I'll be thinking about that bike daily now....
:(

Should have Amazoned my oil and filter...

I know I've posted to this thread about why I won't be getting an Africa Twin, but since seeing the bikes at Hillbilly Hangout it has been on my mind!

Plus my birthday is coming up!!!

Just left Honda of Russellville. They have some great deals on remaining 2016 ATs both manual and DCT. The new 2017 red/white/blue with gold rims looks very nice as does the dark red 2017 DCT. Almost makes me want one...........almost.

The bike still doesn't fill any niche that I have. If I were going to get serious about off-road riding a thousand miles from the house then yes, the AT would be a great choice. If I'm going to do any off-road riding close to home then the AT is an oversized pig for the task. I'd rather have a DRZ400 or WR250. What I'm much more likely to do is ride a thousand miles from home and then ride gravel roads (since I've done it in the past several times). That is why I own a Super Tenere. Just purchased a 2017 with cruise control, shaft drive, tubeless tires and an electronically adjustable suspension.......perfect for the niche that I have. There are a lot of bikes that can ride down gravel roads comfortably (the NC is one of them). There are fewer bikes that can tour comfortably and ride down gravel roads comfortably when you are far from home.

You might be able to make the AT quite comfortable for long distances but it still lacks cruise, shaft drive and has tubeless tires. I have a chain bike for thrashing on local roads and sport-touring but it gets old as your only bike when you have to replace chain and sprockets every year and carry lube and tools for an adjustment on the road.

Some will put up with all of what I consider inconveniences to enjoy the bike when they arrive at their far-off destination and to those, I salute you and wish you the very best in your travels. I'm not trying to take anything away from this quite capable bike, just answering the OP's original question.
Ride on,
Mike

Though it's heavier than I REALLY want, the CB500X has made a good impression on me when briefly riding one, and just sitting on it in the showroom. With Rally Raid stuff on it I could probably enjoy it a lot more than the AT which I've also checked out. Yeah, not as powerful, but...

For me personally, and not to sound trite, but I wouldn't get an AT because I still want my NCX for all the reasons I bought it in the first place, and the AT doesn't have most of them.

I want the frunk, the awesome fuel economy, the low rpm and mellow power characteristics, the dirt simple user friendly maintenance, the displacement size, and the lesser weight.

Add to that I would never want to suffer with tube type tires on a street going motorcycle again, and any large displacement bike I want to go long distances definitely begs for shaft drive, well, I would pick a Super Tenere over an AT any day of the week.

What he said!!!

Just left Honda of Russellville. They have some great deals on remaining 2016 ATs both manual and DCT. The new 2017 red/white/blue with gold rims looks very nice as does the dark red 2017 DCT. Almost makes me want one...........almost.

The bike still doesn't fill any niche that I have. If I were going to get serious about off-road riding a thousand miles from the house then yes, the AT would be a great choice. If I'm going to do any off-road riding close to home then the AT is an oversized pig for the task. I'd rather have a DRZ400 or WR250. What I'm much more likely to do is ride a thousand miles from home and then ride gravel roads (since I've done it in the past several times). That is why I own a Super Tenere. Just purchased a 2017 with cruise control, shaft drive, tubeless tires and an electronically adjustable suspension.......perfect for the niche that I have. There are a lot of bikes that can ride down gravel roads comfortably (the NC is one of them). There are fewer bikes that can tour comfortably and ride down gravel roads comfortably when you are far from home.

You might be able to make the AT quite comfortable for long distances but it still lacks cruise, shaft drive and has tubeless tires. I have a chain bike for thrashing on local roads and sport-touring but it gets old as your only bike when you have to replace chain and sprockets every year and carry lube and tools for an adjustment on the road.

Some will put up with all of what I consider inconveniences to enjoy the bike when they arrive at their far-off destination and to those, I salute you and wish you the very best in your travels. I'm not trying to take anything away from this quite capable bike, just answering the OP's original question.
Ride on,
Mike

Thanks for the honest opinion. This was exactly why I started this thread. I want to see why people aren't doing it. No to dissuade me but I ask my self the same questions everytime people tell me why they didn't. If I have an answer and I still want the bike then I know I'm on the right track. I appreciate all the honest answers. You guys rock.

P.s. Went and made the deal on a new 17 @t. Super happy with how everything came down.

Went to get a washer, oil and filter for my NC at the local Honda Dealership during lunch by my work and they just happened to have a brand spanking new White/red/blue AT with the gold rims...

OMG...

That has to be the most comfortable bike I have ever sat on. It fits me like a glove. I could just sit flat footed on it and on the side stand I put both feet up and it felt like a comfortable chair.
And it's like 100% sexier in person...

View attachment 33166

SON OF A BIATCH...

I want one.

Not anytime soon as $13K is "my wife would kill me dead" money. But damn it, I'll be thinking about that bike daily now....
:(

Should have Amazoned my oil and filter...
This is what I did:
Aim high and shoot low.

I test rode BMW1000XR, Ducati, Kawi Versys1000 and got
a bargain with the AT.
I am glad, I did not find a VFR12k to test ride, otherwise may
have ended up with a not so capable off road bike but a good tourer.
I don't believe the AT is the bike to satisfy all,
but for now, the AT with DCT is all I can ask for.

I checked my mileage today and its 18500+
Only last week, I was picking her up at the dealer with 16k scheduled maintenance done.

Here's a pretty good honest review most of us have seen I'm sure:

[video=youtube;tMILVr42zR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMILVr42zR4[/video]

TL;DR: It's a great dirt bike, adequate street bike, but not so much on the twisties or highway - not really a tourer.
If you trailer your bike to the dirt, it's probably awesome, otherwise if you've gotta ride a hundred miles to get 'adventure' then it's going to be a long ride. Maybe worth it, maybe not?

It has NC-ish like features in that, Honda tried to save a buck or two by going with some components specced to a budget, no centerstand, limited crash protection, chain drive, fixed screen etc... more basic dirtbike than adventure bike.

Last edited:
Here's a pretty good honest review most of us have seen I'm sure:

[video=youtube;tMILVr42zR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMILVr42zR4[/video]

TL;DR: It's a great dirt bike, adequate street bike, but not so much on the twisties or highway - not really a tourer.
If you trailer your bike to the dirt, it's probably awesome, otherwise if you've gotta ride a hundred miles to get 'adventure' then it's going to be a long ride. Maybe worth it, maybe not?

It has NC-ish like features in that, Honda tried to save a buck or two by going with some components specced to a budget, no centerstand, limited crash protection, chain drive, fixed screen etc... more basic dirtbike than adventure bike.

Oh yeah I watched that right away. I saw the brake dive, which my nc has but not as much. Other than that I can see how people would want more things included stock but these bikes are so popular and I find that aftermarket stuff seems to meet my needs better. Plus one of the things that steered me away from the vfr1200x was the super stiff suspension needed for all that weight. I felt every bump and crack and change in road surface. The @t just ate all of that up no problem.

Oh yeah I watched that right away. I saw the brake dive, which my nc has but not as much. Other than that I can see how people would want more things included stock but these bikes are so popular and I find that aftermarket stuff seems to meet my needs better. Plus one of the things that steered me away from the vfr1200x was the super stiff suspension needed for all that weight. I felt every bump and crack and change in road surface. The @t just ate all of that up no problem.

The suspension differences are to be expected. The VFRX is a high powered street bike dressed in mild ADV fashion that has no business off road. The AT is 500+ pound dirt bike (hence the CRF designation) than has on-road amenities.

Last edited:
The suspension differences are to be expected. The VFRX is a high powered street bike dressed in mild ADV fashion that has no business off road. The AT is 500+ pound dirt bike (hence the CRF designation) than has on-road amenities.

Oh yeah it was totally evident. Sweet bike either way but was gonna wreck my back riding that everyday.

Back