• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which motor oil do you suggest?

Do not buy one of the plastic filter wrenches for this initial oil filter change... get a metal one! They seem to over tighten the factory filter to such a degree that you will think you are going to break something when you go to take that original filter off. I was on the road riding the bike home from the dealer when I reached 600 miles and did my own first oil and filter change in a walmart parking lot. I had brought one of the black plastic filter wrenches from O'Reilly auto parts with me -- stripped off the fitting on that and had to go buy a metal one to get the filter off.

I use Rotella T6 from Walmart ($21 for 3.785 litres.. the exact amount you need.)
I prefer K&N Oil Filters (KN-204) $8.

As Beemrphile once joked, if you don't use the same oil and filter I do, your motorcycle will burst into flame!

I do recall one rider I met used a filter made for a Honda Civic. It's longer than it needs to be, but (apparently) it fit without modification.
That is.... if you need to get something in a hurry.
Everyone I've talked to says to avoid "Fram" filters.

Caution: this is all hearsay, not admissable in court, and your mileage may vary!

Last edited:
Some Autozones have motorcycle oil. Most carry all-fleet oils like Rotella. I've never been to any Autozone anywhere that carries _exactly_ what your owner's manual specifies: A JASO MA-certified/tested 10W30 oil. Whether that bothers you enough to just go to the dealer is up to you.

I'm at almost 1k miles and wanna do it this weekend. I was looking at the fram filter, the k&n one is a special order item.

Worse comes to worse, I'll stab a screwdriver thru the old filter to get it off.

-Jesse

Please, please, please read your owner's manual and follow the oil recommendations in it. You may use 10W-30 or 10W-40, per the Honda shop manual, even though the owner's manual mentions only 10W-30.

To answer your question directly, yes, Autozone sells Valvoline 10w-40 4-stroke motorcycle oil that meets the JASO and SAE requirements for the NC700. I seem to recall they also sell Castrol brand motorcycle oil. Look it up on their Web site.

I currently use the Valvoline. I bought 3 cases at $2 per quart on a special deal. I change it every 8000 miles per Honda's schedule.

Oil threads are so common here that I personally do not want to see another one. Use the search function, please. In fact, I'm going to find another oil thread to append this one to, just to keep from rehashing the same old subject for the next 10 days.

Greg

Edit: thread appended to another randomly chosen oil thread.

Last edited:
I have been using Shell Rotella T6 5w40 in my DCT for the past few thousand miles. Runs like a champ and has been averaging about 65-70 mpg depending on the wind. T6 is rated for use in motorcycles and has received some really good reviews on the motorcycle forums. So far I am very happy with the performance and price (about $21.00 gallon @ walmart). I plan on changing my oil every 5000 miles even though the owners manual recommends a longer interval. Most of my riding is highway miles, 165 miles round trip to work and back.

Back