• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

WILL THE NC 700 SURVIVE-Questions?

When I went to purchase mine, the dealer had one in stock. As we negotiated a trade, the one they had sold! I came back a week later when they got two in and purchased one of the two...

Well now, about 1 year out from the original date of this post, I am extremely jealous that your dealer was able to get two in in about a week. I have had a DCT on order for 18 days now and there is no end to the wait in sight. If Honda were Apple, I'd believe that they are clearing the stock for the introduction of the new NC700XD-Retina. :rolleyes:

Honda also seems to have adopted the Apple model of secrecy but, in this case, the secret information is information about the shipping of new orders and they are keeping this secret from the dealers who have placed orders. I've had two dealers tell me that ordering from Honda is a pain in the butt because they don't get information about what is arriving or when. Seems like they have room to improve their logistics.

Blame Honda US for that. When I got mine here in Japan the dealer telephoned the factory, confirmed availability and delivery date, and had it all prepped and registered for me to ride away exactly one week later, as promised at the time of purchase.

The way the current ordering system in the United States works for most the motorcycles industry manufactures in the United States, is that the dealer gets to order once per year. There are a few exceptions. Once the dealership gets the conformation from the manufacture he knows what he will get and when he should get it.

After the show orders, dealerships will do dealer trades with each other. So dealerships will trade this for that, and have to go themselves to transfer the orders. Some dealerships do a lot of trading, where other dealerships do no trading, that is up to the dealership management. The dealership just has to go to another dealership and get the unit. If the dealership is not getting the unit for you, go to another dealership.

Well now, about 1 year out from the original date of this post, I am extremely jealous that your dealer was able to get two in in about a week. I have had a DCT on order for 18 days now and there is no end to the wait in sight. If Honda were Apple, I'd believe that they are clearing the stock for the introduction of the new NC700XD-Retina. :rolleyes:

That might not be far from the truth. Honda might be trying to clear all the excess NC700 inventory to make way for the NC750 next year. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Hi All,

New here.

I test rode an NC 700 last summer and I want one! But I wonder....will it survive?
My wife had an NT 700 that she has since traded and I noticed they were only imported into the States for a couple of years...too expensive for a 700???

Anyway, my local dealer has the two silver 2012 NC 700s that he got last winter still in stock...HAS NOT SOLD ONE YET!

I notice on cycle trader that they are a lot of new 2012s for sale...what's the deal...is this not a popular motorcycle?

I loved the NC 700 when I demoed it and will have one...but I just wonder if it will be around as a 2014 or will it go the way of the NT 700.

My other dilemma is that the bike I have to trade is worth twice what an NC 700 is, so I can't trade into one without selling my bike first.

If I could talk my wife into one...I'd try to trade my bike for the 2 2012 hold overs that my local dealer still has!

So what do you think...why so many 2012s:confused::confused::confused: left over at such great prices....is it just the bad economy or is this bike not going to make it in the American Market?

Take Care,
ROB RAY

The NC could be a difficult sell.
It's not a speedster. Those looking for a "rocket" probably already know before going in that there are plenty of bikes that do that better.

It's a commuter bike that can also function as an "Adventure" bike if you put the right tires on it. IMHO, that also makes it a tough sell since (wow, I wish not to offend anyone) most of the people who know what an Adventure bike is can afford to buy the more expensive incarnations from BMW and the like.

It's a Cruiser (for me), and I appreciate the engineering/cost balance. The low rev, low maintainence engine make it appealing as does the "frunk" (which I realize may seem like a "gimmick" to some and put them off.) sure, I'd like a shaft drive, but if it had one, I couldn't afford to buy it.

The NC is a good general purpose motorcycle. It's a great FIRST motor bike and does most things well. It's a good RE-Entry vehicle for former riders like me. Once you've been on it and want to specialize (rocket, adventure, cruise), you might trade up for a more specialized model.

I am keeping the one I have!

Davey Crockett comes to mind ...
"I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas."

Dont forget that worldwide, Honda now has six models based off the New Concept engine. I doubt it's going away soon.

Before I left on my 9 day camping trip to North Carolina/ Tennesee area, I told my brother this is my "forever" bike.
While up there, I totalled it.
I stayed up there for another week in a motel while it got brought back to life.
I got on it and rode 660 miles home with no problems and averaged 65 mpg during the 2,300 mile trip.
Will the NC survive?
Mine will :)

As a former Missourian, from Douglas county Ozarks, I would say the NC is a great bike for all those wandering back roads. So easy to ride and keep up. If the dealer has not been selling them lately you may get a good deal. I usually buy and sell yearly, and now I find I'm thinking about keeping the NC for another year. You will love the "funk". Replaced the tank bag I aleays felt was a have to thing on my motorcycle. 60-70 mpg is always nice. So much to like about the NC. Plenty fast and handels great, easy to clean, Even does 2-up well, and fine on the interstates.

Art

Dont forget that worldwide, Honda now has six models based off the New Concept engine. I doubt it's going away soon.
That's good to know. I'd like to be able to get parts for it in the coming years. I like the engine design very much... it seems reliable and eminently servicable.... wish I knew more about engines.

Probably, if you've never bought back a totaled vehicle from the insurance company.
Totaled simply means it has reached a dollar point to which the insurance company will not fix it.
On my wreck, I did $4,400 worth of damage which reached the percentage of fixability to which they would go.
They would have given me $5,810 to walk away. I opted to buy the bike back for $2,025 and put $3,600 worth of new parts/labor back on.
There's still some pieces that have minor scratches -I can live with that. But, the insurance company doesn't have that "luxury".
My plans are to use this bike on camping trips (as well as everyday) so I'm not worried about the minor scratches.

Last edited:
??????

Do I have a wrong understanding of what "totaled" means?

Totaled means it would cost 70% of the current value of the vehicle to repair it. The % varies by location and maybe by insurance company. After paying you the insurance company, now the owner of the vehicle, sells it with a salvage title. A salvaged titled vehicle cannot be licensed for street use. After repairing a salvage vehicle and depending on laws that vary by location the repaired vehicle can be inspected, certified as road worthy, and be issued a rebuilt title. Some states may let you go from salvage title to regular title and sometimes you can take a rebuilt title from one state and get it transferred to a regular title in another state. Always ways to scam the system.

Thanks to both of you! I left the US while still a teenager so insurance is part of that "grown-up stuff"'about American life that is largely a mystery to me.

Greetings,

We are over two years from the OP .

I was doing some google research and found this thread. I was suprised by 12 pages.

I am interested in what 2016 holds for the 700X.

There is a left over 2013 and 2014 on the show room floor.
I am not sure if I will need the NC for 2016.

I sold all of my stocks in the left over inventory to get the 750, theory. Plus, I came to like the 670cc engine.

Currently, there is about a 50% chance of a Baja, California trip in mid March.
I have to keep the MIGHTY DR for that!

I may need the NX later in the year. Hopefully Yamaha has built an all rounder¬ MC with their 698cc engine.

¬ 19" front
6.5" travel
4.0 gallons
440lbs
Wind protection
Up right ergos.

It is still not too late for the NC700X to be made into an over weight all rounder. Current mods can be done and she can get fairly close.
The engine is heavy.

We will need to see how the CRF1000L looks first.

Last edited:
I actually think I'm probably the target demographic for the DCT in the U.S. -- new rider, middle aged, looking for a new hobby, and will ride weekends for fun, tooling the country and mountain roads, the occasional multi-day trip. Learning curve will be longer because riding will a hobby not an everyday requirement. So futzing with shifting, while imminently do-able, is one more thing to concentrate on with all the other things. With automatic, I can immediately start having fun with the bike, concentrating on curve entry speed, sight lines, traffic, etc. Can always use manual and the paddle shifters to take full control.

That said, I also had to be convinced because like many first-timers I thought, at first, I wanted a cruiser and was looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT Classic (all decked out). Then after lots of reading and talking to folks, I realized what I really wanted to do with the bike was ride the mountains and scenic stuff, and a more "sport" or adventure bike seem much better for that. So then I fell in love with the BMW F800GT. I took the MSF basic course, got my license and started shopping in earnest.

Interestingly, almost no BMW dealer's carried the F800GT in stock (many 800GS's however). I was told by a couple that the dealer owners just didn't think an 800cc dual purpose bike was going to sell (they thought anyone in that mindset would go to the R1200). My brother, who has ridden since high school and does pretty awesome riding vacations (Greece, Italy, Alaska, Nova Scotia) rode the R1200RT in Greece, loves the BMW but warned me that as a new rider dropping the Beemer was going to be expensive. Not to mention the substantial purchase price difference.

Found a DCT in stock and went and sat on it ... it fit very well (I'm about 6', 225, 32" inseam). Suddenly the idea of just being able to start riding, learning about riding rather than shifting, made a lot of sense and I pulled the trigger. I still drool over the BMW ads, but I've put 900 miles on the DCT in a month and and couldn't be happier.

I'm old enough to remember when automatic transmissions in cars were almost always an option rather than standard. It will take much longer for automatic transmissions to become really common for motorcycles, I think, especially in U.S. because bikes are still much more a "toy" than a necessity and there's a lot of entrenched "real motorcycles are manual" emotions. I was really surprised in my MSF class that almost everyone was going out to buy a Harley cruiser without a thought about how they were going to use the bike. That said, I think Honda is really get out in front of this market, whatever size it may be, and will own it.

[I'm old enough to remember when automatic transmissions in cars were almost always an option rather than standard. It will take much longer for automatic transmissions to become really common for motorcycles]

Hard to say for sure but I'd guess that among younger "newbies" the DCT models might hold a lot of appeal. And maybe they'll go on to full manual models or maybe they won't. Older riders who came up through the ranks see the DCT as mostly unnecessary but how much longer will they be motorcycle customers?

There is a real resistance among many customer to buying an 800 cc bike when just for a bit more, they can have a 1000-1200 cc bike, mainly because bragging rights are so important.

Last edited:
I'm surprised automatics are not more common, but motorcycles are behind the times. Look how long they hung on to carburetors and how long it's taken for ABS to become somewhat common.

With the latest versions of automatics (Honda DCT) coming on the scene, the change is just now beginning. The percentage of automatic models offered right now is very small.

As for big bikes and Harley's, it proves how the power of marketing can convince people to want something that's not really appropriate for them.

Last edited:
Hard to say for sure but I'd guess that among younger "newbies" the DCT models might hold a lot of appeal. And maybe they'll go on to full manual models or maybe they won't. Older riders who came up through the ranks see the DCT as mostly unnecessary but how much longer will they be motorcycle customers?

I would hardly call DCT an "Automatic". I would call it more of a computer controlled/aided transmission. The word "Automatic" is such a strong word that echoes negatively throughout my sole after experiencing Honda first automatic attempt, the CB750A "HONDA-MATIC" when I was a teen. This thing was a fully automatic with a 2 speed transmission complete with a torque converter.

large-1976-HONDA-CB750-HONDAMATIC.jpg

This thing was a "DOG" and should've been called a "TURD-AMATIC". The CB400A and CM400A were not much better and a huge disappointment... :p

I'm surprised automatics are not more common, but motorcycles are behind the times. Look how long they hung on to carburetors and how long it's taken for ABS to become somewhat common.

With the latest versions of automatics (Honda DCT) coming on the scene, the change is just now beginning. The percentage of automatic models offered right now is very small.

My reasons for selecting the DCT are completely different than you think they are. I was more curious about the technology and I was hoping that this would be the "Sweet Spot" after Honda created that ABOMINATION that they called a "Honda-matic" back in the 1970's and 1980's.

A lot of people that are considering learning to ride a motorcycle are completely terrified and intimated by using a clutch and working a foot shifter.

Now with the introduction of DCT and Zero's transmission-less design has opened up riding to everyone that wants to now.

Last edited:
Back