• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

WILL THE NC 700 SURVIVE-Questions?

Sorry if the name bothers anyone, but the DCT is an automatic transmission.

automatic

adjective
(of a device or process) working by itself with little or no direct human control.
"an automatic kettle that switches itself off when it boils"
synonyms: mechanized, mechanical, automated, computerized, electronic, robotic; self-activating
"automatic garage doors"

Last edited:

automatic

adjective
(of a device or process) working by itself with little or no direct human control.
synonyms: mechanized, mechanical, automated, computerized, electronic, robotic; self-activating
"automatic garage doors"

Per Websters definition, yes is an "Automatic".

One can argue the fact that DCT it is not a hydraulically controlled system similarly used in automotive applications for the last 60 plus years. Honda's first attempt to a commercially released automatic transmission on a motorcycle (a.k.a Honda-matic) use a hydraulically controlled system with a torque converter using the engine oil as the hydraulic media verses a separate hydraulic fluid for the transmission.

DCT can also be considered to be Computer Numerically Controlled or CNC.

Computer numerical control - automated operation of a machine by a computer program.

Automatic or CNC???

My vote is for CNC... :cool:

Last edited:
...DCT can also be considered to be Computer Numerically Controlled or CNC.

Computer numerical control - automated operation of a machine by a computer program.

Automatic or CNC???

My vote is for CNC... [/SIZE]

Over 40 years ago I had this romantic dream to become CNC (router) operator. I woke up pretty quickly when I realized that main responsibility of such operator is to keep finger on big red emergency stop button. So I turned my attention to CAD.
But now I am finally lucky CNC operator of NC*DCT. But wait... all my plotters/printers were/are CNC devices, all kinds of disk players... . So I am CNC operator (and you, and you...) for very long time. Even my wife is CNC operator of her (fantastic LG) washing machine.
"Automatic For the People"

Last edited:
I think the DCT is a great invention but Honda is missing the boat on advertising this technology. From the road test I read the DCT is 1 sec faster 0-60 mph over the manual transmissions due to no shifting lag. To get America's attention that is a point they need to make.

I think the DCT is a great invention but Honda is missing the boat on advertising this technology. From the road test I read the DCT is 1 sec faster 0-60 mph over the manual transmissions due to no shifting lag. To get America's attention that is a point they need to make.
I hope that wasn't that stupid faked video test where they took two DCTs (because they couldn't get a manual) and have one guy ride slower to mimic what the manual would be like, thus proving the DCT was faster. How phony was that?

Look at the bikes closely. They both have parking brakes on the rear disk.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lky4x38_5GA[/video]

Last edited:
Gearing and weight are different plus the ability to launch with the manual. Seems there is a couple or three horsepower difference between them but I can't remember which is on top.

Either way, it's like who wins a wheelchair race.

snore.gif

Maybe we need to do some informal testing at the HU meeting.

...but only a pro will get the manual top time.

That leaves me out, but I'd give it a rebel try. I don't have to beat the manual top time. I just have to beat the DCT. or CNC. or AT. or whatever.

automatic

adjective
"automatic garage doors"
Yes, but Ferrari, Porsche, and Lexus sell it as DCT. Anyone can have a Slip 'N Slide PowerGlide but Doppelkupplung is another kettle of fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerglide

Porsche Cayman - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) - Porsche Cars North America

Back to the original question, the Honda rep that was speaking at the last WingDing said the average run of their motorcycle models is 8 years. So if the NC is average, it's life as a current model is already half over.

Back