• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yet Another Review of the New Africa Twin

Oh the horrors of having an AT....which engine guard do I get for my fabulous bike :p

This is true;)

Although wasn't as easy as getting one for my former "fabulous NC". The Givi design imho was probably the best and the most robust. Part of that was the many robust points on which to mount it on the NC. Problem with the AT is the lack of such mounting points and the much more vulnerable tank area. Some of them have had their bodywork destroyed already on offroad excursions, also showing up some of the shortcomings of the various crashbars on offer.

I thought the Honda bar was simply a "light bar"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That depends on which jurisdiction You purchase in. One could also assign "Light Bar" to the Touratech item and other similar ones. I believe the risk of litigation in some areas has Honda calling them Light Bars instead of Crash Bars. I have seen the same bars referred to as Cowl Protectors or something similar over these parts.

OCR or anybody interest there is a DCT (silver) just posted For Sale in the ADV Flea Market. It has 20 miles on it.

The owner is saying that the DCT is just not for him - it's too smooth shifting and he prefers the feel of a manual transmission. at 20 miles I can't imagine he got to really try the different S modes which change the shift character but it doesn't really matter. The bike is not for him, it's for sale and someone might get a deal. At present he's asking for nearly new price including fees.

Saw my first Africa Twin motorcycle today at the Honda Dealership. Impressive, but really doesn't meet my needs. If I were going big, I think I would go with the Super 10.

OCR or anybody interest there is a DCT (silver) just posted For Sale in the ADV Flea Market. It has 20 miles on it.

The owner is saying that the DCT is just not for him - it's too smooth shifting and he prefers the feel of a manual transmission. at 20 miles I can't imagine he got to really try the different S modes which change the shift character but it doesn't really matter. The bike is not for him, it's for sale and someone might get a deal. At present he's asking for nearly new price including fees.
Saw that today too. Tempting as that's like the one I have a deposit on. But the deposit is non-refundable and his bike is about 10 hrs away from me at least. I'll just wait until mine comes in July. I'm currently too busy selling my house and buying another. Got packing and moving to be done soon. Should be settled into the new place by the time mine arrives in July.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Am I seeing this right?

Some of the "veterans" here athi fum are switching to AT or some other bikes?

Are you guys gonna keep the NC, regardless of the new acquisitions?
Hmm..

Saw my first Africa Twin motorcycle today at the Honda Dealership. Impressive, but really doesn't meet my needs. If I were going big, I think I would go with the Super 10.

I'm still a few years out from replacing my NC, but I've started to window shop. I totally agree, the S10 seems great, the AT is probably overly dirt oriented for my needs. S10 gives me tubeless tires and shaft drive, which I'd love (So does the VFR1200X). But... then I get to that weight figure. Around 600 lb with bags just seems like a LOT (Same for the VFR1200X)! I need to ride one to see what it feels like I guess. The NC certainly feels lighter than it is...

What about valve adjustments for you S10 owners? Seems I've read it's a royal PITA, and about 50% of the time you actually need to swap a shim or two (ie, pull your cams). I sure have been spoiled by the NC's 1.5hr valve check procedure....

Those are the things that keep pushing me back to the AT.

trey

I'm still a few years out from replacing my NC, but I've started to window shop. I totally agree, the S10 seems great, the AT is probably overly dirt oriented for my needs. S10 gives me tubeless tires and shaft drive, which I'd love (So does the VFR1200X). But... then I get to that weight figure. Around 600 lb with bags just seems like a LOT (Same for the VFR1200X)! I need to ride one to see what it feels like I guess. The NC certainly feels lighter than it is...

What about valve adjustments for you S10 owners? Seems I've read it's a royal PITA, and about 50% of the time you actually need to swap a shim or two (ie, pull your cams). I sure have been spoiled by the NC's 1.5hr valve check procedure....

Those are the things that keep pushing me back to the AT.

trey

Super Ten 40,000 km (24,855 miles) inspection intervals sounds pretty nice, though.

I have also read that there are S10 owners that have never needed any adjustments, approaching 90,000 miles, so that would be one of those "set for life" things for me now...:eek:

Thing of possible interest to note if you haven't scoped it out already- the AT has screw and lock nut adjusters for the exhaust valves, but shim types for the intake valves! That struck me as unusual, never heard of that before. :D

Thing of possible interest to note if you haven't scoped it out already- the AT has screw and lock nut adjusters for the exhaust valves, but shim types for the intake valves! That struck me as unusual, never heard of that before. :D

Oh really?? I totally missed that I guess. They had a cut-away AT motor at the MotoGP race and I remember seeing screw and lock nut adjusters and thinking that was good, but I must have only looked at the exhaust and assumed the intakes were the same. Strange set up for sure!

trey

I noticed that from a pre-release article. I believe they did it that way because exhaust valves are more likely to need adjusting because of the heat they are exposed to. Intake valves run a lot cooler and therefore generally don't need adjusting as often once broken in.

Oh really?? I totally missed that I guess. They had a cut-away AT motor at the MotoGP race and I remember seeing screw and lock nut adjusters and thinking that was good, but I must have only looked at the exhaust and assumed the intakes were the same. Strange set up for sure!

trey

A good thing is I guess, being a "Unicam" vs a dohc, there is only one cam to remove instead of two. :D

Sigh, another black and red one. They are as common as dust.......

Back