• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Windshield

It wasn't catastrophic or anything. The top left side of the screen moved toward the rear of the bike about two-three inches. The other three well nuts held on valiantly.
I had plenty of time to make it to a good paring spot to reattach it.

L.B.S. = ROFL!

It's your damned Avatar. I can't help meself whenever I sees it, I can't. :eek:

I got my Madstad yest afternoon, the adventure in dark grey. My bike is black so it adds to the outline and shape of the bike. What a difference. Totally adjustable, and am still tweaking. No buffeting, no noise. I do seem to have a upward swirl I'll call it but I think its mostly due to me not finding the right position yet and to be honest had a wicked cross wind yest and this morning on the way to work. Very pleased. Will post pics when I get home.

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but do you look Thru it, or over it?

Not sure about "John Boy", but everybody I can remember with the Madstad say they are looking well over it. I believe the top of mine is about at my chin. I plan to get a buddy to take a few shots of me on the bike to confirm that as well as where my line of sight hits the ground in front while looking over the windshield. I was checking it out at a traffic light yesterday and it appeared to be 35'-40' or so.

So far, my adjustments have me looking just over it - I'm going to guess the screen is an inch and a half below my eyes. A severe slouch or an uphill has me looking through it. But I haven't finished playing with it and have used it happily an inch lower. Some adjustments are too subtle to notice with a helmet. For example, riding bareheaded, a very small range of angle adjustment decreases a bit of top stream spill on the very top of my head. I'd never feel that with a helmet.

I'm 5' 10" 32" inseam and I would warn similar height or shorter that the stock drilling had the screen adjusted all the way down for me with good results. I saw a similar post in this or another Madstad thread as well. So shorter riders, or riders who want wind on their helmet should request a higher drilling (to lower screen height). You can always adjust it higher. A second screen I got had the holes 3/4" higher, and I basically ended up adjusting the screen 3/4" higher to compensate. Go figure! The first one was probably perfect for me.

just wanted to thank everyone for the pictures.
i'm waiting for mine arrive,, adventure, clear 20" ( standard order for nc700x )
i too was worried about trying the Honda tall shield and then finding out it didn't work for me.

just wanted to thank everyone for the pictures.
i'm waiting for mine arrive,, adventure, clear 20" ( standard order for nc700x )
i too was worried about trying the Honda tall shield and then finding out it didn't work for me.

Welcome to the NC700 forum! Looking forward to your opinion of the Madstad.

Bit the bullet and ordered one this morning....with an 18" Adventurer Shield....

I got the 20", but bet the 18" would have been fine too. I haven't been able to find a position with it that is anywhere near as bad as the OEM windshield was for me. Outta curiosity I might have to pull the Madstad off and give the bike a try naked to see how it is.

That thing looks like a wind sail....lol Do they make one for my BOAT ?!?!?

lol.. jk.. It's of course just an opinion... But, I may have to be the one that disagrees on the look of this thing..

It's a pretty sore thumb, if you ask me. The stock one can be a little wind harsh, I just purchased one that's 4" (10cm) taller than the OEM. I wanted a little more wind protection, but not a NASA satellite, attached to my handlebars...lol.
I will let you know how it works out once I have it attached.

Last edited:
That thing looks like a wind sail....lol Do they make one for my BOAT ?!?!?

lol.. jk.. It's of course just an opinion... But, I may have to be the one that disagrees on the look of this thing..

It's a pretty sore thumb, if you ask me. The stock one can be a little wind harsh, I just purchased one that's 4" (10cm) taller than the OEM. I wanted a little more wind protection, but not a NASA satellite, attached to my handlebars...lol.
I will let you know how it works out once I have it attached.

Hey maybe the "sail" effect will improve on the MPG when riding with the wind! Nah, you're not the only one who thinks the Madstads are ugly -- a lot of people seem to think so. BUT nobody that has one says they don't work like a many of the "pretty" ones out there.

By the way, here's what your particular choice looks like to me:

alien_windshield.jpg

Like you said though, of course it's just an opinion.... (also just joking!)

LmFaO !!!!
... That is an awesome comparison photo !!! It TOTALLY does !!! That kinda makes me like it more...
:cool:

As far as increased MPGs with your new Wind-destroyer 5000.. You'll be surpassing completely electric vehicles if you catch the right updraft....lol

You wont need gas where that thing is going..... ( Back 2 the Future reference...lol )

...lol

Really tho, I am only joking around...I understand, I had a larger shied on my old bike... they do really make the ride more comfortable... :D

Last edited:
As far as the looks go. If it does what I need it to do, I'm happy! Function over form.
Once your eyes see my ugly face behind the screen, you'll forget how ugly my bike and accessories are. ;)

I had me a ride this evening with the Madstad. The install manual was quite clear about not adjusting while riding and I did just that (they make it so easy even one handed). At 75 I put the windshield all the way up, and all the way down. Virtually no difference in real time. Unreal. The wind still leveled off just above my head above 40 mph. I even stuck my head out to the side just to make sure the wind and noise was still there. I did get small puffs of air hitting my cheeks but it was difficult to trace the origin, they actually seemed to be coming up from below. No difference in noise even when I put my head in the still air right behind the screen. Two way trip to an event - one way with helmet, way back without.

I really don't know why or how they work but they do. Up and down didn't make any difference for me, but the angle did - you can make it hit lower on the helmet with an extreme angle. I did notice that all the way down, and angled all the way back that it did pick up some headlight spread and make the screen glow.

In other news, the NC is very controllable and responsive to ride no hands. I didn't do that while adjusting the shield, just putting along a city street for a couple of miles at 40. Nice! I used the O ring rubber seal trick to hold the throttle.

I call and talked to mark at Madstad, For another bike i have a madstad windshield system on.

According to Mark, best adjustment ball park is;
Height adj.: is between chin and lower lip.
Angle: according to the online manual
Most windshields work best when set at a 55-60 degree angle. There is a angle guide on the back page of this manual so that you can check and see if your shield is set somewhere in this range.

This windshield is a set it and forget it once you have adjusted properly.

It is not like other windshields it uses air under the shield to push the air blowing over the shield up and over your head, they work great

My perfect Madstad shield for me would be
1. Sport SD shield
2. 22" height, x 14" wide, the longer shield height is because i Like the Look of a shield that is Lower like the stock shield so that it is just barely above the head light, I Dont like the lower edge of shield up too high and a riding up look
3. Medium dark shield especially since, these are not that dark even at night, but they look really nice

Mark will do custom sizes, as i had him do a custom size to fit me and bike, I am 6'-0" tall and height of shield is even with my lower lip, in this position, it is all the way down

I have tried many windshields, Since i have the Madstad, this is the best hands down None better

Last edited by a moderator:
I call and talked to mark at Madstad, For another bike i have a madstad windshield system on.

According to Mark, best adjustment ball park is;
Height adj.: is between chin and lower lip.

I think this height remmmendation is the common and consistent theme on every wind screen thread since day one......... the screen has to be a certain height ( that varies widely with the rider's size). Without this certain size .........relief and success will be spotty.

Last edited:
REALLY like the madstad.

I've taken a number of rides and found the best angle and height for me. Really impressed, no bounce or buffeting on the helmet, the wind tracks well over the top of my helmet. I get the same little puffs on my face as mentioned above, but actually find it nicer to ride with my visor up than down.

Attachments

• DSCF5522.jpg
    DSCF5522.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 986
  • DSCF5521.jpg
    DSCF5521.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 947
  • DSCF5519.jpg
    DSCF5519.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,412
Back