• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Windshield

Your screen is adjusted super high! I'm guessing that your personal height is also adjusted super high!

Right now, I'm enjoying riding much more without the helmet. It is quieter. I played a bit with visor up or down last night, but it didn't make a difference (except I also liked the view better without the visor). It has been 20 years since I've ridden, but I don't remember a particular preference before, other than I just didn't when living in Los Angeles. That is where I last rode, so perhaps the preference locked in there - but I sure don't remember helmets as being uncomfortable.

Your screen is adjusted super high! I'm guessing that your personal height is also adjusted super high!

Right now, I'm enjoying riding much more without the helmet. It is quieter. I played a bit with visor up or down last night, but it didn't make a difference (except I also liked the view better without the visor). It has been 20 years since I've ridden, but I don't remember a particular preference before, other than I just didn't when living in Los Angeles. That is where I last rode, so perhaps the preference locked in there - but I sure don't remember helmets as being uncomfortable.

I've taken a number of rides and found the best angle and height for me. Really impressed, no bounce or buffeting on the helmet, the wind tracks well over the top of my helmet. I get the same little puffs on my face as mentioned above, but actually find it nicer to ride with my visor up than down.

Curious..........what is the screen height measured from the top of the headlight lens?

snipped from westgl's post ..........................
It is not like other windshields it uses air under the shield to push the air blowing over the shield up and over your head, they work great
This is not a design feature unique to Madstad windshields. Look around, many motorcycles use a slot or vents to pass air behind the shield to reduce negative pressure and encourage laminar flow off the top and sides of the shield. Providing a slot or gate to smooth air flow is something we have known about since the early 20th century. Further, all this talk about perfection and exact installation is a bit tedious. Aside from personal expections of what protection a shield is supposed to provide even the choice of helmet or protective clothing [lack thereof] affects how the shield performs and someone's perfect windshield with one person's expectations may not work at all for the next guy who wears a different brand or style of gear. If you are reading these windshield threads expecting a magic bullet you might be left disappointed.

I find my helmet really comfortable. That's why I spent hours (over a few weeks) trying on different lids to see which brand and model fit me the most comfortably. If your helmet is uncomfortable, you have the wrong one. But if you chose to ride without, more power to you.

This is not a design feature unique to Madstad windshields. Look around, many motorcycles use a slot or vents to pass air behind the shield to reduce negative pressure and encourage laminar flow off the top and sides of the shield. Providing a slot or gate to smooth air flow is something we have known about since the early 20th century. Further, all this talk about perfection and exact installation is a bit tedious. Aside from personal expections of what protection a shield is supposed to provide even the choice of helmet or protective clothing [lack thereof] affects how the shield performs and someone's perfect windshield with one person's expectations may not work at all for the next guy who wears a different brand or style of gear. If you are reading these windshield threads expecting a magic bullet you might be left disappointed.

I'm not sure that the Madstad works like other vented shields. On the NC, it may actually rely partly on the mounting plate to direct air not only behind the screen, but going up and merging with air in the front of the shield helping to push it over your head. Putting my hand behind the screen at speed, I find a very fast moving channel of air in the central screen that is not there at the sides (where the mounting plate is not). I doubt this is true for other shields that allow air to come in underneath.

I find my helmet really comfortable. That's why I spent hours (over a few weeks) trying on different lids to see which brand and model fit me the most comfortably. If your helmet is uncomfortable, you have the wrong one. But if you chose to ride without, more power to you.

My helmet is physically comfortable and it is light. But the noise spectrum changes with it on, and I am acutely sensitive. I always wear earplugs (sometimes I even do so in a car), but there is just something about the helmet that is tiring. The volume is about the same, so it is not noisy (at least not behind the windshield) in the way I read in helmet reviews (it was before the Madstad). So I think in my state anyway, I will mostly be using it when it rains or is cold.

No doubt I will get flamed for saying so, but I'm really not concerned the the safety a helmet might add in a particular accident. I have had high and low speed accidents on motorcycles and bicycles including tumbling, and my head has never been touched (most with a helmet). Yes, that is anecdotal, but I've read widely on the subject as well. I do ride conservatively and I am well aware of the potential consequences of errors.

I'm not sure that the Madstad works like other vented shields. On the NC, it may actually rely partly on the mounting plate to direct air not only behind the screen, but going up and merging with air in the front of the shield helping to push it over your head. Putting my hand behind the screen at speed, I find a very fast moving channel of air in the central screen that is not there at the sides (where the mounting plate is not). I doubt this is true for other shields that allow air to come in underneath.
Quoting from your posts you are not sure how it works so logically you are incapable of comparing it to other motorcycles that mount the shield in front of a fairing or other sloping structure that forms the slot behind the shield. Like I posted you should look around at other bikes that mount a shield off of a fairing.

It sounds like you are agreeing with my supposition that the base plate is what is making it work because it is also a fairing directing air up behind the screen rather than straight back? I was wondering if widening the base plate might make it thus even more effective.

Since I'm relatively new to this forum, I don't know if this product has been discussed before however I have another windshield option that works for me.

I don't have my NC700X yet, but I do have a BMW R1200RT and a Vespa GTS300 and have personal experience with the Laminar Lip product. I have already decided that when I do get my NCX, I will be ordering one. I recommend it.

Laminar Products for Honda NC700(X)

... For those trying to get wind off of their head completely, it is not going to work. If you like wind in your face, just not turbulence, it is worth a try.
I, of course, can only address my personal experience with it. I have a medium height windshield on my Vespa. I was surprised by the amount of wind noise and wind blast to my helmet area I was getting even a relatively low speeds. As soon as I installed the Laminar Lip, that was reduced by ~70-80% and made riding much more enjoyable.
FWIW, I installed mine so that it added 2" above my stock windshield. I think that the space between the two virtually eliminates any wind buffeting which can occur at medium to high speeds.

More information - My setup & glow problem

Decided to take a close look at MY setup for those with inquiring minds.

I am 6' even with a 32" inseam.

I have the 20" Adventure model. Just changed the rubber well nuts out for Dale's nut plates and used the lower set of holes. I have the angle set a close to 60° with the windshield raised about 1" of the 3" allowed by the bracket. That puts the bottom of the screen 6-7" above the top of the headlight assembly and the top of the screen between my lip and chin. At that height I see the ground above the windshield at 25' out.

madstad-level-small.jpg

Frankly, I can't tell a big difference in the performance of the windshield unless I make a major modification to the default setup. I have not ridden in the rain with it yet. I just rode with it for the first time at night and noticed it has a light refraction issue even though it is well above the headlight.

madstad-glow-small.jpgmadstad-noglow-small.jpg

I put gaffer's tape on the bottom of the windshield in the second shot to block the light from the headlight and there was a substantial reduction in the glow at the top of the windshield. I'm considering coating the bottom edge of the windshield with something to block the light and would appreciate any suggestions on what might work and still look OK. I was thinking maybe an epoxy paint on the edge.

Last edited:
Decided to take a close look at MY setup for those with inquiring minds.

I am 6' even with a 32" inseam.

I have the 20" Adventure model. Just changed the rubber well nuts out for Dale's nut plates and used the lower set of holes. I have the angle set a close to 60° with the windshield raised about 1" of the 3" allowed by the bracket. That puts the bottom of the screen 6-7" above the top of the headlight assembly and the top of the screen between my lip and chin. At that height I see the ground above the windshield at 25' out.

View attachment 4235

Frankly, I can't tell a big difference in the performance of the windshield unless I make a major modification to the default setup. I have not ridden in the rain with it yet. I just rode with it for the first time at night and noticed it has a light refraction issue even though it is well above the headlight.

View attachment 4236View attachment 4237

I put gaffer's tape on the bottom of the windshield in the second shot to block the light from the headlight and there was a substantial reduction in the glow at the top of the windshield. I'm considering coating the bottom edge of the windshield with something to block the light and would appreciate any suggestions on what might work and still look OK. I was thinking maybe an epoxy paint on the edge.

Thanks for the info :cool:

Ya, just some plain old flat black paint along the the lowest edge should work just fine to prevent the fibre optic light show.

A zillion years ago, a windshield maker (called Saeng, I think) touted the awesome properties of their windshield to do just that, make a halo fibre optic light effect. I think it was merely an accidental happenstance that they tried to market as a planned "good" thing, when it really was just an unwanted distraction, lol

For the "glow" (or glare) issue on the windshield, I have a couple of suggestions...

The easiest one is to apply a SUNDOWNER on the windshield just above the headlight. It has no adhesive and sticks via static cling and is easily removable/adjustable.

Just FYI, they are intended for use on face shields to cut down on glare from the sun. I've used them for years and can be found for ~$5.00.

Attachments

• sundowner-1.jpg
    sundowner-1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 569
  • sundowner-2.jpg
    sundowner-2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 560
After reading about this windshield I'd like to get it. I have two concerns. Firstly I'm not that tall, only 5'9" with a 32 inch inseam. Will this affect my line of sight? Secondly I ride at night a lot, when a cage on the opposite side of the road has their crazy modded HIDs on will I be able to see?

Thanks guys

Shorter people than I will have to chime in on the height issue. I am thinking an 18 inch shield or ordering it undrilled would be two options, if necessary. Regarding the light from oncoming cars, I don't see any impact there. The reflections that are being discussed are from the Honda's own headlight. My bike has an HID projector beam headlight and it has no reflection into the windscreen.

Back