• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Windshield

After reading about this windshield I'd like to get it. I have two concerns. Firstly I'm not that tall, only 5'9" with a 32 inch inseam. Will this affect my line of sight? Secondly I ride at night a lot, when a cage on the opposite side of the road has their crazy modded HIDs on will I be able to see?

Thanks guys

I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. For me, the stock drilling was perfect as it turned out with it at the lowest setting (but the Honda OEM high position). I had a second screen delivered (first was wrong style) with drilling 3/4" higher (lowering the screen). Guess what, I raised it back up by the same amount. So I think you would be safe asking for your screen to be drilled one to one and a half inches higher (remember that you have several inches of upwards adjustment including the OEM bolt position). I would not get a shorter screen as I think you will find that the longer bottom half will look better on the NC (the "Sport" design anyway).

I look well over the screen. Experimenting with it higher did not affect the windflow over my head. As you will look over too, the only impact oncoming cars will have is on your glasses/helmet shield as they do now. You will also be a head higher than a sport bike position, so oncoming lights will have slightly less impact. But you could go for the dark tinted screen and duck behind when someone really offensive is coming your way.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like this is definitely worth getting.Just one more thing. Say I have this adjusted correctly for me and I'm carrying a passenger. Will the taller windscreen affect him/her in a negative way? Maybe it's worth keeping the stock drilling and using the lower Honda OEM setting?

Thanks for the input. Sounds like this is definitely worth getting.Just one more thing. Say I have this adjusted correctly for me and I'm carrying a passenger. Will the taller windscreen affect him/her in a negative way? Maybe it's worth keeping the stock drilling and using the lower Honda OEM setting?
I've never carried a passenger, but the air behind my Madstad is really clean and I'd guess it goes at least all the way back to my topcase. You also might want to check out this post by Lee about his:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/2721-beemer-back-two-wheels.html#post37452

well i put mine on today,, adventure 20 clear
great day to test 25 mph winds today...
well i like it alot, well worth the price, well maybe not that much cash,, but it works great .
no air on the chest, in it's lowest setting up to 45 no air at all hitting my helmet , nice and quiet.. I hate wearing ear plugs, so looks like i'm keeping this bike now,
that's how much i hated the bike with the stock screen . back to the screen, at lowest setting and 55 some air hitting the top of helmet . a little buffeting ,, so with the quick adjust knobs up 2 inch ,,all is good
ok it was only a 15 minuet test with 25 mph questing winds . i'm so happy with this shield in the small test. like i said i was hating the bike over 35 mph because i had to were ear plugs.. also my test was done with an open face / guess it's called an 3/4 helmet with the welding type shield that flips up.
my height is 5' 11

well my bubble burst ,,, it's till too windy ,,, but so far so good,, some (medium ) (but still too much ) buffeting at the top of the helmet at 65 70 ... but it's in the lower honda mounting points. seems if i tilt it forward all the way ,,that's no good
so i need to test more when it's not windy out 25 mph , i'm lost on trying the best position...
but 1 great thing with the new shield ,,, is no longer funneling thw wind up my arms ..
yes it directs bugs up into my helmet with the stock Honda screen
ps the open face helmet is called a jet helmet,,,on the colder days i were a full face,,,

Got my Madstad ordered today (clear SportSD). I talked to Mark, and we came up with the idea that he would send the 20" shield and mark where the holes would normally be as a reference, then I can hold the shield up and decide myself to drill there, or higher. I like the looks of the shield bottom being flush with bracket bottom. He even offered to send the drill bit for the plastic, which I accepted. And if the 20" shield is too tall, I can just cut it down myself. So with all that I should be set no matter what.

Greg

Got my Madstad ordered today (clear SportSD)....I like the looks of the shield bottom being flush with bracket bottom.

I can't help but believe that the volume of air underflow is important to the functioning of this system. The air stream between the aluminum plate and the windscreen seems to be responsible for the impressive lift that it gets. It appears to be the same theory of operation that is in play with the MRA screen, except that much more air volume is channeled into the "jet stream".

Lots of people don't like the aesthetics of the shield being held up and forward, but I expect that if you got it to looking like a more "normal" windscreen that it would start acting like one too. It may have to look screwy to work. I think Mark hit the positioning really well. I'd be inclined to install it where he marked it and then cut the height if I could not adjust it low enough to suit me. At the end of my analysis and trials, I decided to leave it like he built it.

Imagine that.

Getting my Madstad soon! Thanks for the input and I'm excited to do a longer highway ride with the new windshield! The stock one is really getting on my nerves on windy days.

Making it even uglier?

I posted about my Madstad windshield "glow" problem here:

Earlier post in this thread.

Someone mentioned just using black spray paint on the bottom edge of the windshield to kill the internal refraction causing the glow. I couldn't think of a good way to mask off just the edge, so I just included part of the back of the windshield. Used an old can of flat black I had in the garage. Whatever the consensus on it's looks, the paint worked just as well as the gaffer's tape in the original experiment.

ModMad-small.jpg

Note that the "Madstad" logo totally disappeared. BTW, that is the new SHAD front seat I installed this weekend in the background with the original pillion seat as I'm waiting for the non-red logo rear from SHAD USA.

I couldn't think of a good way to mask off just the edge,.

Cover the face of the windscreen so that the tape overhangs the edge. Then cut the overhang off with a sharp exacto knife using the edge as your cut guide. Turn it over and do likewise to the back.

Cover the face of the windscreen so that the tape overhangs the edge. Then cut the overhang off with a sharp exacto knife using the edge as your cut guide. Turn it over and do likewise to the back.
Yep, that would have worked.... Don't have an exacto knife, but do have a single edged razor blade. Oh well, maybe next time for me, but others should benefit from your wisdom.

Or just use a brush to apply it to the edge....

I painted my walls and ceiling in my house different colors. If you could see the result then you probably wouldn't have suggested that.:D I did consider maybe trying to do it with a roller of some kind, but didn't have anything handy.

I went by the Madstad plant on Friday and picked up the windshield. It is just a very nice 25 minute ride from my house. They installed it right there. They even let me take it out for a test ride before I paid for it. We've heard a dozen time on this thread on how well it works so I won't repeat the obvious. OK, I will: It works great. Now on to the important stuff.

Mark seems like good guy. He was nice enough to give me a tour of the facility and I got to meet some of the employees. Each windshield is cut and shaped on site. Each mounting bracket is cut and shaped and powder coated on site. While all the cutting is computer controlled, the brackets are shaped by hand. It seems to me to be a great combination of computer precision and human craftsmanship. (Sound like an Arai ad?)

I won't lie. I didn't like the idea of spending that much for a windshield. Even after hearing all the good things about it. But after meeting Mark and staff and seeing what went into making it, I would spend the money again.

Now please don't jump on me for saying this in an international forum, but after all my motorcycle money going to Japan (Shoei, Arai, Honda, and Suzuki), Germany(BMW R1150RT, R1150GS), and Italy (Givi, AGV), it did feel a little better to spend the money where I know some of the taxes will be spent in my kid's school district :)

Oh, Mark was even nice enough to give me what I think was a proto-type set of nut plates.

I am ordering a Madstad screen. Are the 5mm nut plates from Honda Bike Pro the correct ones to get?

I called Madstad today (my shield is ordered but not shipped yet) over concerns about wellnut vs nutplate mounting. The Madstad guy (wasn't Mark) said they are relying on the original Honda windshield mount hardware, and THEY have heard of no reports of failure. He went on to say if there ever is a problem, they would address the problem (hopefully for present owners as well as future customers).

So, has anyone had troubles, long or short term, using the Honda wellnuts with the Madstad? If you have, please contact Madstad and they will supposedly make it right for you and everyone else.

I've decided to mount it per their instructions and rely on them to fix any problems that might arrise at their cost, rather than purchase nut plates proactively. I think they will stand behind that promise.

Greg

Last edited:
tested on the interstate no problems in my 20 min ride did not move any using the Honda mount. (well nut's with madstad plate )

ok i hope this never happens , but look at this way

if your ever go over the tank , handle bars in an accicent

the Honda well-nuts will just put threw. the shield will fold-over instead of beinging solid

Last edited:
You have to realize this windshield is redirecting the airflow with air going up and behind shield also. It is not a big piece of plastic trying to push all the air aside.

Back