• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 NC700X Windscreen options...

Long story... the instructions call for you to remove the bar end and internal weight, but that seemed unnecessary so I just went to the hardware store a bought two longer 6mm bolts and swapped them for the existing bolts. I just bolted them onto the bar end weights. It was really easy. They come in black or white so I spray painted the black models silver to match the bike. They are not as good for crash protection or wind deflection like a BarkBuster, but for what I wanted and the look I wanted and the price ($99). They work for me.

Super disappointed with the Madstad windshield (clear). At night it's like a xmas tree in your face, totally take away your night vision... really not safe! I see this as a major product defect.
1/ Curious to hear from other people who have the 'light gray' version... does it truly solve this problem?
2/ Any other windshield recommendations?

Read below the reply I got from Madstad, that's after paying over $300 for a windshield, and waiting for them to re-send the proper brackets (2016 model).
A couple options here for you.
1; You can exchange the shield for the light gray. This will take the reflection away.
2;You can paint the shield here is the instructions on how to do this

1. Remove shield
2. With painter's tape make a horizontal line across the lower 1/3 of the inside (facing rider) of the shield
3. Scuff this portion of the shield with fine grit sandpaper. This step should take care of it by removing the reflective properties.
An optional additional step is to clean the area, re-tape the same line, mask off the rest of the shield (both sides) completely and apply a coat of black spray paint recommended for plastic. Follow the manufactures directions.
Just let me know how you would like to handle this this and we'll get it taken care of for you.

madstadt.jpg

"In my opinion, Madstad should be doing this black-out at the factory."

Totally agree, I cannot believe they sell the clear windshield without this modification, totally unsafe to ride at night.

Does painting the bottom completely solve the headlight reflection problem?

Totally agree, I cannot believe they sell the clear windshield without this modification, totally unsafe to ride at night.

Mine is a clear shield with the older style mount plate. Painting the inside of about the bottom 2.5 inches, including the edge, did fix the reflection problem. However the issue could be worse on the newer, more open mounting brackets.

Next step is probably Madstad offering a blacked out lower section on the shield and charging all the past customers if they want to upgrade.

Mine is a clear shield with the older style mount plate. Painting the inside of about the bottom 2.5 inches, including the edge, did fix the reflection problem. However the issue could be worse on the newer, more open mounting brackets.

Next step is probably Madstad offering a blacked out lower section on the shield and charging all the past customers if they want to upgrade.

I think a piece of moulded black plasic that clips glues to the bottom of the screen would be a good solution. Come on Madstad you can do it.

I just used plastidip for the bottom 6 inches, works like a charm, took mabie 40 min.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Madstad has just started shipping the 2016 mounting plates. I would say they are still learning the usage models for some people... what works and what doesn't. This is not a billion dollar corporation that can do tons of user testing before they release a product. It is a small engineering driven business. We as early adopters and customers are their beta testers. Also every rider is different so depending on your seating position and the angle that you choose to adjust the screen, your glare may vary. For me, the glare it not an issue, but I can understand that it is not perfect for everyone. In that case you try to work with the manufacturer to get it right. I have found that Madstad will work with us to get it right. They may not be as speedy as Amazon customer service, but I have found them to be responsive to questions and comments. Finally, my experience of putting aftermarket parts on bikes and cars is that you need to be prepared to do some tweaking to make it work properly for you and your bike. If a part comes from the factory that built the bike then you expect it to be perfect, but otherwise be prepared for some tweaking to get it to your liking. just my $.02 worth. Don't want to start any arguments here just presenting a point of view.

Super disappointed with the Madstad windshield (clear). At night it's like a xmas tree in your face, totally take away your night vision... really not safe! I see this as a major product defect.
1/ Curious to hear from other people who have the 'light gray' version... does it truly solve this problem?
2/ Any other windshield recommendations?

Read below the reply I got from Madstad, that's after paying over $300 for a windshield, and waiting for them to re-send the proper brackets (2016 model).
A couple options here for you.
1; You can exchange the shield for the light gray. This will take the reflection away.
2;You can paint the shield here is the instructions on how to do this

1. Remove shield
2. With painter's tape make a horizontal line across the lower 1/3 of the inside (facing rider) of the shield
3. Scuff this portion of the shield with fine grit sandpaper. This step should take care of it by removing the reflective properties.
An optional additional step is to clean the area, re-tape the same line, mask off the rest of the shield (both sides) completely and apply a coat of black spray paint recommended for plastic. Follow the manufactures directions.
Just let me know how you would like to handle this this and we'll get it taken care of for you.

Response from Madstad: "I have forwarded your email to the design team as well as the owner of our company. We will work on this issue!"

I just installed the MadStad 20" windshield and mounting brackets. I had upgraded from the CalSci windshield 22". The MadStad is much better even with the the shorter version. The adjustability of the windshield really makes a huge difference. Also with the CalSci, the brackets were flimsy, so at highway speeds the windshield would almost flap in the wind.

I guess I've read just about every thread I can about windscreen choices. Finally pulled the trigger today on the Madstad. Ordered the 20 inch light gray. Looking forward to it and I'll be tossing out my observations once I install it. Certainly a pricey bugger but it seems like the one for me and I only want to do this once!

Ordered the 20" light gray from madstad last week and should get them by Wednesday. Since few people were having problems with the glair that is produced at night from the clear version. They have started frosting the bottom portion of the windshield in order to fix the problem. I am not sure if they are compatible with storm barkbusters and how I would know if I got the older brackets or the updated one. Here are the pictures from the updated version that was sent to me from madstadFrosted NC700X shield 02.jpgFrosted NC700X shield 01.jpg

Ordered the 20" light gray from madstad last week and should get them by Wednesday. Since few people were having problems with the glair that is produced at night from the clear version. They have started frosting the bottom portion of the windshield in order to fix the problem. I am not sure if they are compatible with storm barkbusters and how I would know if I got the older brackets or the updated one. Here are the pictures from the updated version that was sent to me from madstad

Thanks for the update on the frosting. Unfortunately the 1000 people that have already bought the Madstad shield would have to pay extra to get a new frosted shield. I guess it's a case of best waiting until the product is fully developed before making a purchase. At least Madstad was listening, but alas, it was too late for me.

Thanks for the update on the frosting. Unfortunately the 1000 people that have already bought the Madstad shield would have to pay extra to get a new frosted shield. I guess it's a case of best waiting until the product is fully developed before making a purchase. At least Madstad was listening, but alas, it was too late for me.
I don't think frosting is a solution. We all know the kludge is to paint it black and apply some kind of opaque trim to the bottom edge to stop light travelling up to the top edge like some big lite brite gizmo. Ultimately to fix the problem you can't put the screen in front of the headlight now that is the 'engineering' challenge.

Ended up installing the madstad tonight. frosting seems to help, I put it all the way down in order to check for the glare and all the way up and in between :) nothing. They sent me the wrong instructions and screws, bolts and washers, so they sent out the right stuff again today but I didn't want to wait for another few days so I went to my local shop and picked up the correct stuff. Took about 20 mins to install. Did some highway testing with various height and angle, still need to make some adjustments but very happy so far. 20161202_203316.jpg20161202_203344.jpg

update: I will learn how to post pictures correctly one day

Last edited:
Ended up installing the madstad tonight. frosting seems to help, I put it all the way down in order to check for the glair and all the way up and in between :) nothing. They sent me the wrong instructions and screws, bolts and washers, so they sent out the right stuff again today but I didn't want to wait for another few days so I went to my local shop and picked up the correct stuff. Took about 20 mins to install. Did some highway testing with various height and angle, still need to make some adjustments but very happy so far. View attachment 31923View attachment 31924

update: I will learn how to post pictures correctly one day

I realize I'm not there seeing it first hand from the rider's point of view. But, my impression from those pictures is that the frosting is not helping with the reflection. It may even be worse. I think masking the area with flat black is the only way to go.

I realize I'm not there seeing it first hand from the rider's point of view. But, my impression from those pictures is that the frosting is not helping with the reflection. It may even be worse. I think masking the area with flat black is the only way to go.

I think you're right about that - JMHO. Mine came un-frosted. Another home remedy that I may try if the glare bugs me enough is to mask off just a bit of the top of the headlight. Just a crazy thought. I certainly am pleased with the performance of the set-up, though. Noise is gone. Buffeting is gone. And it's as solid as a rock cruising at 80mph which was my test run today.

Francescomilado, it doesn't look like you used the side wings(?) I used mine and they really keep the blast from coming up my arms. If you still feel wind working on your arms, shoulders or chest area, give them a try.

Last edited:
No buffeting here unless I put my head way offside from the center. 5'11" tall and long torso. In fact it seems perfect right now based on around 900 miles up to 80 mph or so, often riding with helmet visor up, even on this cold damp day last week in Glacier NP. Light black Ermax +15cm (19") Touring Screen with $28 dollar adjustable clip-on (fogged up and wet from here) from eBay out of China.

flickr.com/greenboy667/NC700X views

30592744683_0c13525551_h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Francescomilado, it doesn't look like you used the side wings(?) I used mine and they really keep the blast from coming up my arms. If you still feel wind working on your arms, shoulders or chest area, give them a try.

You are correct, I didn't put the side wings. I was waiting for my barkbusters and I figured since I am putting those on I don't have to install the side wings? Please correct me if I am wrong, because I hate physics (fluids) :)

I am not sure what glare you guys are talking about. Here are some pics from my view. 20161203_161904.jpg20161203_161908.jpg20161203_161912.jpg

I think you're right about that - JMHO. Mine came un-frosted. Another home remedy that I may try if the glare bugs me enough is to mask off just a bit of the top of the headlight. Just a crazy thought. I certainly am pleased with the performance of the set-up, though. Noise is gone. Buffeting is gone. And it's as solid as a rock cruising at 80mph which was my test run today.

I mocked up a cardboard visor that mounts on top of the headlight and projects about 1" forward. Seems like it will work and does not interfere with the beam. Now to make something more permanent.

You are correct, I didn't put the side wings. I was waiting for my barkbusters and I figured since I am putting those on I don't have to install the side wings? Please correct me if I am wrong, because I hate physics (fluids) :)

I am not sure what glare you guys are talking about. Here are some pics from my view. View attachment 31926View attachment 31927View attachment 31928

I see. I didn't know about your plan for bark busters. I don't know how those work with side wings. I don't have them on mine though I may add them later. As for the glare. It just looks like there is more of a shine reflected off your shield in the frosted area than on the windshields without the frosted part. But it just comes down to what works best for each rider.

Back