• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chain came off the rear sprocket on my NC when slowing down for the stop-sign leaving my subdivision. There was a bit of a crunchy whir sound then the engine stopped...

I just realized I started typing a update today at work, then my job got in the way and I didn't finish.

The rear sprocket has kind of a smooshed tooth, there was cosmetic damage to the hub and adjustment nuts at the end of the swing-arm, and the chain was really jammed up behind the front sprocket. The chain is kind of gibbled now but the front sprocket, engine, and all the important bits seem to be just fine. I took things apart then back together on the side of the road and was able to ride home without incident, though it's going to remain parked there until that chain and sprocket that I ordered shows up.

The chain was adjusted two weeks prior and while I know it was on the loose side yesterday I don't believe it was loose enough to come off on its own. I am guessing a tire flicked up a piece of gravel that jammed between chain and sprocket.

Today I installed some longer bolts from the backside of the windshield nut-plate and cut down my stock screen a bit. My Madstad shield goes over the stock one like before, but now it's easily removable, and the adjustment knobs are easier to get to from the riding position. Plus it looks less like a "double windshield". Too bad I don't trust the chain enough to see if it has changed the airflow at all.

I put on the rear rack I got from Nofear2trek and now I'm headed to lake Tulloch for some time on the water.
8eb45d137248c8686181238fe871c36e.jpg

Last edited:
I rode to Tulsa and back for an IDPA (action pistol) match.
About 210 miles.
It was very humid at the match, and I was glad I had another shirt to wear home.
I returned through Salina and Spavinaw (a very nice bunch of twisties) hoping to get some good video, but I was behind Old People in Big Slow Cars with no place to pass.
I actually got very good gas mileage. It felt like I was into the wind for a stretch on the way back and the bike was saying about 50 for that stretch.

I put the stock windshield back on last week for more air in the hot summer. It works, but now I remember why I replaced it - the buffeting. On my Suzuki drz with no windshield the noise is far less as my head is in clean air. Maybe I need to try the DCT with no windshield, though it would leave the dash unprotected and would probably look terrible.

edit:
From more reading, I may try some mirror extenders, which I already have, and perhaps sawing a bit off the stock windshield, though for that maybe I should find a cheap generic one to do surgery on.

Last edited:
Today the wife hopped on and we rode about 75 miles through Seneca, Missouri over to the Neosho area and rode up and down the Old Scenic Road. Saw some fishermen, canoers, and an owl that flew by our heads.

Here is the video. The camera is on my chest, so I can't turn quickly to capture something like this. He actually flew alongside us for some time.

Owl - YouTube

Last edited:
Today I spent some time avoiding the heat and had an idea to organize the 3 types of USB cables kept in the frunk for the various 'devices' that we need to have in the 21st Century: GoPro, Sena, and iPhone.

Installed a padded p-clip to one of the battery cover screws to hold some NiteIze carabiners that neatly hold the cables and my nonoise earplugs. I try and be prepared for myself and friends who might need to charge something while on the road.

IMG_1458.JPG

What I did with my NC today? Got buffeted around like crazy when I got up in the mountains in Glacier NP, but I had a great day taking photos -- until it wasn't a great day anymore. When I came back to the parking lot where I had parked tilted just slightly to the kickstand side, I found my NC tipped to the tarmac on the opposite side with the instrument cluster broke off and the windshield in two pieces. Don't know if it was the wind or a person that knocked it over, but I'm guessing wind because it was an incredibly blustery time up there.

Got to say, Honda's metal for the instrument cluster brackets is pitiful stuff. The tumble should have just broken the windscreen.

Wind Effects by greenboy, on Flickr

What I did with my NC today? Got buffeted around like crazy when I got up in the mountains in Glacier NP, but I had a great day taking photos -- until it wasn't a great day anymore. When I came back to the parking lot where I had parked tilted just slightly to the kickstand side, I found my NC tipped to the tarmac on the opposite side with the instrument cluster broke off and the windshield in two pieces. Don't know if it was the wind or a person that knocked it over, but I'm guessing wind because it was an incredibly blustery time up there.

Got to say, Honda's metal for the instrument cluster brackets is pitiful stuff. The tumble should have just broken the windscreen.

So sorry to hear of your misfortune.

About those instrument cluster mounting brackets: They also hold on the windscreen. I wonder about those brackets when we install large aftermarket windscreens. There's a lot of force on those brackets and the four small screws that hold them on. I think the aftermarket screens exceed the design intent of those brackets, but then a tipover is another matter altogether.

Last edited:
It's all part of the trip so I got over it pretty quick. The windscreen really wasn't that large/wide but of course like almost any for the NC it was acrylic which breaks pretty easily. I should have done close-ups of the metal at the break; it looks rotten. And the brackets are not very stout in thickness, obvious once you see it so exposed. Maybe tomorrow I'll get some super closeups.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh that sucks! I'm so sorry to hear that.

Very sorry to hear that greenboy.:(

Hey guys, dealing with all the plastic with tabs and fasteners, some hidden and unknowable, is probably not something to be happy about. Again, I wish the body work was like my WR250R or other dualsports and dirtbikes. But none of the body even got scratched except a small bit right up by the speedo cluster brackets and hopefully nothing bent in front of the fork well.

Bad luck Mine got blown over once when we had high winds on the Oregon coast a few years back. Was lucky to only have a slightly bent handlebar, replaced it later with some fat boys.

Ray

Bad luck Mine got blown over once when we had high winds on the Oregon coast a few years back. Was lucky to only have a slightly bent handlebar, replaced it later with some fat boys.

Seen some baddass winds on the coast, but probably the most consistently strong and scary at Cape Blanco, just north of Port Orford.

Hey guys, dealing with all the plastic with tabs and fasteners, some hidden and unknowable, is probably not something to be happy about. Again, I wish the body work was like my WR250R or other dualsports and dirtbikes. But none of the body even got scratched except a small bit right up by the speedo cluster brackets and hopefully nothing bent in front of the fork well.

Sorry to see that mess. I think the bracket is built to deal with vertical forces but not lateral. Similar to my Triumph. The fairing bracket on that breaks easily if lateral force is applied but otherwise it does the job. Not good enough though.

On the tabs I agree they are difficult. However they are much worse on my Africa Twin. Like your WR the plastics on my CRF250 are much more robust and much easier to remove.

Yeah, something inside the sharknose is pushed over too, some bracket or two perhaps, though not the tubular subframe stuff I think. Probably have to take it all apart to deal with what needs bending, or replacing. Unnecessarily complicated substructure methinks : \

Yesterday, weather was great, I had a handful of 20% off coupons that expired on the third and free stuff coupons, so I hitched up the Moto-Mule and headed to the Harbor Freight a hundred miles away. Picked up a bunch of cheap stuff along with a bunch of those 'free stuff with any purchase' items (made three trips in and out).

Wonderful ride then back to the coast. Was a fun day!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back