• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
60 mile shake down ride after the new K&N air filter, FI system appears to have figured it out, one of my highest recorded average MPG.

0eda9185a6be9345c3559919f2f1836d.jpg

This is 55-60mph average on a full tank of ethanol free 91 octane. Temps about 45 degrees F, slight crosswind. DCT D mode. 3000 rpm or less. New chain and sprockets too. A nice little increase.

I took the interstate back and ran it hard in S3, passing trucks at 80+ etc, then it dropped back to just under 64. My usual for that sort of riding is 59-60.

Last edited:
60 mile shake down ride after the new K&N air filter, FI system appears to have figured it out, one of my highest recorded average MPG.

I'm not seeing the connection between the air filter and the fuel economy.

In theory:
A clean stock air filter would flow adequate air at WOT for the engine to generate it's rated horsepower. The K&N may (or may not) allow more maximum air flow. This would only be apparent at wide open throttle. WOT is not where you get good fuel economy. At the throttle openings that a rider would be using to generate good gas mileage, the air filter is not a significant point of resistance in the intake tract. The throttle plate is your restriction, not the air filter. You could likely get great gas mileage if you covered up two thirds of the air filter. That would force you to operate the engine in a frugal manner.

Honda has publicly stated that one goal of the NC engine design was good fuel economy. I would like to think the engineers already installed an air filter worthy of supporting that goal. Surely they didn't overlook a simple thing like sourcing filters from K&N.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the connection between the air filter and the fuel economy.

In theory:
A clean stock air filter would flow adequate air at WOT for the engine to generate it's rated horsepower. The K&N may (or may not) allow more maximum air flow. This would only be apparent at wide open throttle. WOT is not where you get good fuel economy. At the throttle openings that a rider would be using to generate good gas mileage, the air filter is not a significant point of resistance in the intake tract. The throttle plate is your restriction, not the air filter. You could likely get great gas mileage if you covered up two thirds of the air filter. That would force you to operate the engine in a frugal manner.

Honda has publicly stated that one goal of the NC engine design was good fuel economy. I would like to think the engineers already installed an air filter worthy of supporting that goal. Surely they didn't overlook a simple thing like sourcing filters from K&N.

I wasn't sure if it would make a difference on the low end (2000-3000 RPM), unless my OEM filter was really clogged up.

That might have been the new chain etc, whatever it was my MPG has definitely improved for both highway and freeway.

( I did do a short road test with the new chain and sprockets and OEM filter a few days ago and saw 65 MPG over about 20 miles or so. A 1-2 MPG improvement there. )

I did notice increased acceleration 75mph-90mph running 5000rpm to near redline in 5th and eventually 6th although I did not hold these speeds for long. Just trying to quickly pass trucks. Again, could be the new chain.

This is the range where the NC just starts dumping fuel and turns into a gas hog. The additional air may have helped here.

Also remember that this is a bike built to a budget and if Honda could save a few bucks on a consumable made in house that suits commuting speeds vs. supplying something more expensive for high end performance, they sure would. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the OEM filter for what the bike is designed for, but I like the K&N so far.

Well, it wasn't today - I started Monday... First time attempting chain / sprocket replacement.

Was able to break free the front sprocket bolt in neutral while stepping on rear brake. Chain broken easily with the cheap chain tool / riveter kit I have. Pin pushed through without grinding. Real wheel off, no problem. Rear sprocket change, no problem. Front sprocket change, no problem. I forgot about the (I think it's the...) spacer inside the wheel and it fell out (chain side) while I was reinstalling - pretty sure I put it back in there the right way but I'll double check that by looking in the service manual.

I had a good bit of trouble with the master link. Getting the plate on, aligning the tool, pressing it, etc. Took a while and now I'm not sure I mushroomed it enough. It was getting late so I stopped there. I need to check on that. Then all that should be left is to adjust the tension (and align) and put the front sprocket cover and chain guard back on.

If I failed, well, the shop where I normally get service done does pickup and delivery, and since I don't know if any maintenance was EVER done on this thing (just got it - see intro post) at some point I'll take it in for a brake fluid and coolant change, and valve check. I also have the clip style master link the came with the chain. Wouldn't be the end of the world to use that.

I also posted in the How-To forum to inquire if anyone knows the diameter of the pin on the master link (DID 520 VX2 zj) before flaring...

On my NC700X today, I went to pick up a parcel from the post office depot. Got the parcel and came out. While I was unlocking my disc lock to head home, a man came out after me and said "That is a really nice looking bike". He was proper taken with it. I was so proud

Installed my "new to me" 22" Madstad today. Thanks inked469! Two more days of biblical rain here, then testing it out this weekend! Probably riding around checking out all the flooding.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Went on a late night hooligan run to Taco Bell. 43F out, full heated gear. Full throttle starts and redline all the way home to keep the food warm in the frunk.

f7223beeedd78d6fe73772ad93d753ca.jpg

Oh I have put another OEM part on the shelf:

f64a38893ae62be4cc24d80de03095f8.jpg

Replaced with:

cefdc62b5862c25eb03c969714abe581.jpg

Sprung for my weight.
Bike only sag is exactly what the stock was. Factory default settings of 8 and 8 are perfect. Preload adjuster at minimum is perfect for just me and provides about 5mm of movement at the rings.

becc9012f3cc4ad7ede31e189220cdaf.jpg

On the Taco run there is a series of 3 roundabouts all in a row and since its late and no one around, I practiced several complete circles in each one to see if the geometry of the bike changed and it felt great.

Forecast and actual highs in my region finally exceeded 60F in the late afternoon yesterday, so I managed to get a day rid over 200 miles finally -- 249 and change actually. Here's near the end of the day. Today it's supposed to be even better and SUNNY too.

2017-05-03 19;22;01 by greenboy, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I caught what I could only describe as Ebola last week and finally went to Urgent Care on Tuesday night. The Dr. there said I had an Ear/Throat infection and prescribed some antibiotics, a hard core throat syrup and some steroids. Within 24 hours I felt 1000% better.

Now.. how this relates to the NC700x. So I was a moron as a youth. Did freestyle BMX and Skateboards from 1980 - almost 1995 then rode stunt motorcycles from 1995 - 2005. And I am paying dearly for it. I have the knees of a 90 year old man, and my left hip in X-rays looks like s smashed Christmas cookie. So riding for extended periods of time are hard, and standing for a bit or adjusting every 10 min or so is a must. Another forum member suggested some Vitamin B to help and honestly it seems to have helped quite a bit, but MAN, yesterday after 36 hrs of taking these steroids I felt 1) Much better from my ears and throat, but 2) I had NO as in ZERO pain in my knees and hip. In fact I jumped on my bike and rode to the store for my wife last night and ride the entire 25 min there and 25 min home with out even realizing I had no pain, until I got home and realized I never adjusted my position on the bike and I felt great.

WTH... I get my full healthcare package kicking in on May 22nd (Got a new job 3 months ago) is this something I can tell a Dr. to get a prescription for these steroids? Or is this s thing that works but is bad for you over time? I just can't believe the difference!

The Dr. there said I had an Ear/Throat infection and prescribed some antibiotics, a hard core throat syrup and some steroids.

WTH... I get my full healthcare package kicking in on May 22nd (Got a new job 3 months ago) is this something I can tell a Dr. to get a prescription for these steroids? Or is this s thing that works but is bad for you over time? I just can't believe the difference!
I wouldn't underestimate the probable effect of possibly some alcohol in the cough medicine that may have contributed to your pain relief.

Ray

First 80 degree day in Portland (Oregon) yesterday. Rode the bike to a meeting in the early afternoon instead of driving in. Then at 5:01pm, hopped back on the bike to just cruise around the area for a bit. Pulled back in to the driveway a little after 8pm.
Took a wrong street at one point early in the ride and got stuck in rush hour traffic on a two-lane road, uphill, with a 4-way stop at the crest. Got a lot of low-speed clutch work in on that stretch. And I realized that I need to get summer riding gear. Even with all the vents open and the front zipper down a bit, I was still a bit overly warm in my jacket. I think its 3 seasons are fall, winter, spring...

Dropped her off this morning for new shoes - Michelin PR4's for my ride home - which is good as it's forecast to rain the rest of the week! Managed to put 5,759 miles on the stock Dunlop Trailmax - not too bad for a 195lb rider before boots, gear & commuting bag (laptop, gym gear, lunch etc.)!! Up here in NE Ohio there's not too much twisty riding so the tyres were squared off and I could feel it on the few corners that I do manage to get some lean on. Also wet rides (I commute most days over 35) were becoming less and less confident. Looking forward to heading to southern Ohio at some point, hopefully the mail pouch run in Marietta in August at a minimum.

First 80 degree day in Portland (Oregon) yesterday. Rode the bike to a meeting in the early afternoon instead of driving in. Then at 5:01pm, hopped back on the bike to just cruise around the area for a bit. Pulled back in to the driveway a little after 8pm.
Took a wrong street at one point early in the ride and got stuck in rush hour traffic on a two-lane road, uphill, with a 4-way stop at the crest. Got a lot of low-speed clutch work in on that stretch. And I realized that I need to get summer riding gear. Even with all the vents open and the front zipper down a bit, I was still a bit overly warm in my jacket. I think its 3 seasons are fall, winter, spring...

Really like the way it works with my Alter Ego 3 for off-road and on for anything above freezing: mesh jacket with armor -- works good over a mesh tee for the very hottest weather, or zip in the polarfleece vest. The waterproof super heavy duty outer jacket that zips over it is so windproof but the zip vents work great. Add suitable long-sleeve underlayer and a good down vest and you are set for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prior to joint replacement, steroid injections can be used to reduce inflammation. Not a long term solution as they eventually quit working. I am currently takinh meloxicam which helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back