• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used Google maps to get a decent approximation on route and distance check for this ride, but it might be happening in the near future with my daughter on the scooter.

350 mile NEO loop.jpg

Installed set of TKCs. I'm braking them in. So far, I'm afraid that I've screwed something up, or just not used to them. Everything is fine except Handlebar vibration under braking around 20mph. It was a b***h to mount them and I did make a few scratches on the wheel; however, wheel balanced just fine after tire mounting.

It took me a few miles to get used to having a TKC-80 on the front, round and smooth aren't adjectives that can be used to describe the shape!

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed set of TKCs. I'm braking them in. So far, I'm afraid that I've screwed something up, or just not used to them. Everything is fine except Handlebar vibration under braking around 20mph. It was a b***h to mount them and I did make a few scratches on the wheel; however, wheel balanced just fine after tire mounting.

The front brake rotor is very easy to bend. If it was on the wheel while wrestling with the tires, it could have gotten slightly bent. I did that to one of mine. I couldn't even measure the runout in the rotor, but it was bent enough to vibrate the front end when stopping. A new (used) rotor cured it. I now take great care of the rotor when mounting tires.

I have not used TKCs, so for all I know, what you describe is their nature.

Last edited:
I live in Hiram which you're going right through! but have a lot of commitments already booking up weekends, so give me a decent heads up!! Also, check out rever.co it's pretty cool app/site.

Took what is most likely the last ride to South Lake Tahoe this season, after a summer of multiple weeks of 100º - 110º days there's a slight chance of snow at the higher elevations on Thursday. My NC, a Moto Guzzi California 1400 and two Harley Ultras, I had to slow down a few times. :p
In the 60s when we left the Sacramento valley, low 50s at ~8500 ft and upper 70s in the valley when we returned, ~300 miles, perfect. :cool:

The front brake rotor is very easy to bend. If it was on the wheel while wrestling with the tires, it could have gotten slightly bent. I did that to one of mine. I couldn't even measure the runout in the rotor, but it was bent enough to vibrate the front end when stopping. A new (used) rotor cured it. I now take great care of the rotor when mounting tires.

I have not used TKCs, so for all I know, what you describe is their nature.

Thanks for reply. I took great care to ensure that rotor did not get damaged. I'm just super cautious when dealing with unknown (knobby newbie here). It is just nature of TKC tires. Now, when I'm below 20mph, I do not feel the wobble, but each knob touching the asphalt. Just normal stuff that I did not know that it was normal. Above 20mph TKCs fell almost "normal".

Took what is most likely the last ride to South Lake Tahoe this season, after a summer of multiple weeks of 100º - 110º days there's a slight chance of snow at the higher elevations on Thursday. My NC, a Moto Guzzi California 1400 and two Harley Ultras, I had to slow down a few times. :p
In the 60s when we left the Sacramento valley, low 50s at ~8500 ft and upper 70s in the valley when we returned, ~300 miles, perfect. :cool:

Any pictures?

Last edited:
It's good to see you up on the bike! Are you back to normal now?

Nope. Fall just seems to be a good time of year for me. Think its because the weather is dry and stable. Did a trial for a spinal cord stimulator that was successful. It basically masks the pain with a buzzing feeling. So now I'm waiting on the permanent to get scheduled and getting in as much riding as I can handle while I'm feeling relatively good.

Installed the Honda centerstand that the dealer half threw-in on the bike.

Then, since it was easy with the stand, I raised the forks 3/4" in the clamps. Experimenting to see if it helps with the "standing-up in corners" tendency the bike has with the stock tires.

So far, completely inconclusive. I'll keep it that way for a couple days then go back and see if I notice a difference going that way.

Near broken arrow Oklahoma.

Bridge is out.....

fcc3464e6d47cfee2870911b2af1f8a4.jpg

bf43bc3b92af170cd23dd85e2d8ad005.jpg

4293d37d06e0aef06f8ad00a8b2ce228.jpg

I spent the morning at Racetech’s Service Department in Corona, CA.

IMG_4512.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

They installed their springs (RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm .95kg), gold valve emulators (with the standard 2 increased to 4 holes), and my supplied Tractive Rear Shock & Remote Hydraulic Preload Adjuster from Rally-Raid with the 150 Nm spring (NC750X & NC700XD Tractive Rear Shock & Preload Adjuster-RRP 805).

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

Everything was set up for my weight (215 lbs) and style (90% on road, 10% off road).

Leaving Racetech after they finished, I rode 200 miles of bumpy SoCal freeway and interstate highway. All I can say is WOW! The smoothness of the ride is spectacular. Now the ‘NC just glides thru the potholes and bumpyness of those roads. The difference was immediately noticeable.

I’ll be doing more of an eval on this new suspension setup as I get more miles built up, especially at the Flying Monkey Rally in a couple of weeks (7th Annual Flying Monkey Adventure Rally – 7th Annual Flying Monkey Adventure Rally).

Anyone that rides double should really consider an upgrade. These components or others.

Ray

Last edited:
Installed the Honda centerstand that the dealer half threw-in on the bike.

Then, since it was easy with the stand, I raised the forks 3/4" in the clamps. Experimenting to see if it helps with the "standing-up in corners" tendency the bike has with the stock tires.

So far, completely inconclusive. I'll keep it that way for a couple days then go back and see if I notice a difference going that way.

Try preloading the shock spring as much as is allowed also, and You should find it will make a positive difference. From a ground clearance point of view it will also compensate for the drop at the front. I did likewise with the front end but not quite as far as You have. I also fitted PR4's and the entire combination made a very significant difference to handling.

Rode to school with my daughter again this morning, but left a few minutes earlier so that I could try and get a better sunrise picture.

Timing is everything!!

2017-09-21-07.23.39-1-web.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back