• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5000 mile long test of the Shad seat led to the conclusion that it feels great at first and on short rides, but on a long ride you slide forward into a little pocket by the frunk and the soft foam has crushed to the point you feel like you're sitting on the plastic seat pan.
The bike ended up coming with three seats. A Seat Concept was the third. I was examining it the other day and it had some little dents in the cover from something left sitting on top of it. It was sunny so I set it on the trunk of my car to heat up the cover and remove the dents. You guessed it. My wife asked me to run to the store and the seat didn’t return with me. I retraced my path but no joy.

Nothing.

But I did load up my truck with 3 pool pumps, hoses and extension cords to return them to my pool guy. His Honda VTX1300 was parked in the back so we got to talking. His wife rides a Rebel 500. They want to take some short trips, mostly what they do are 90 minute to 2 hour rides.

I told him about using SCENIC and REVER for route planning & navigation. They don't do interstates and both of those routing programs allow for mapping onto curvy roads, staying off interstates, etc. I suggested that if they are taking 2 and 4 lane rural roads they should look at trips that are 150-200 miles per day because they will be going through small towns, and at lower speeds, a 200 mile maximum limit will give them a good day's ride but still will give them time to stop for lunch, photos, tourist stops.

We talked about riding gear, helmets, etc. But mostly about using bikes for touring, commuting, etc.

Not sure the Rebel 500 is particularly suitable for trips, but I'm sure it could be outfitted with some extras to make it touring friendly?

Nothing.

But I did load up my truck with 3 pool pumps, hoses and extension cords to return them to my pool guy. His Honda VTX1300 was parked in the back so we got to talking. His wife rides a Rebel 500. They want to take some short trips, mostly what they do are 90 minute to 2 hour rides.

I told him about using SCENIC and REVER for route planning & navigation. They don't do interstates and both of those routing programs allow for mapping onto curvy roads, staying off interstates, etc. I suggested that if they are taking 2 and 4 lane rural roads they should look at trips that are 150-200 miles per day because they will be going through small towns, and at lower speeds, a 200 mile maximum limit will give them a good day's ride but still will give them time to stop for lunch, photos, tourist stops.

We talked about riding gear, helmets, etc. But mostly about using bikes for touring, commuting, etc.

Not sure the Rebel 500 is particularly suitable for trips, but I'm sure it could be outfitted with some extras to make it touring friendly?
Met a guy who had taken his Rebel 500 to Florida and back. Not on original seat. His was quite wide and a lot more comfortable than the skinny original.

Rode to my ex's with empty rum bottles to curry favour for cheap, full rum bottles. Ex was able to straighten out my front brake lever with the "Sharpie marker-heat with a torch until mark fades-quench-bend" technique.
Not familiar with that technique. Are you able to describe?

I washed and detailed the bike today. It really needed it too. Removed all the wax and switched to a ceramic coating product. I also tried out the Motul shine and go on the black plastics and it really recovered that black color. It's looking pretty good for an 8 year old bike haha

View attachment 45321
View attachment 45322
Looks brand new.

I like the rim treatment

I washed and detailed the bike today. It really needed it too. Removed all the wax and switched to a ceramic coating product. I also tried out the Motul shine and go on the black plastics and it really recovered that black color. It's looking pretty good for an 8 year old bike haha
YIKES, about once or twice a season I will spray something on my bike, hose it down and let it dry in the sun. The windshield gets cleaned more frequently. But the bike, nope; I just ride it.

View attachment 45321
View attachment 45322
I thought this was a newer model based on the photos o_O

That stuff really works

YIKES, about once or twice a season I will spray something on my bike, hose it down and let it dry in the sun. The windshield gets cleaned more frequently. But the bike, nope; I just ride it.
To be honest I hadnt washed it in 2 years because it lives on the sidewalk now. But when I had a garage I washed it every few months mostly for fun on a nice day.
It was pretty dirty and starting to fade a little thats why I did the detailing. I don't own a car so ride it all the time year round rain or shine. Plus being out on the side walk all year is starting to show.

View attachment 45321
View attachment 45322
Wow, that's a sharp looking bike. I've always loved the red color. I like the color matched hugger, the black windscreen, and the aluminum swingarm. Was the swingarm an easy bolt on?

Wow, that's a sharp looking bike. I've always loved the red color. I like the color matched hugger, the black windscreen, and the aluminum swingarm. Was the swingarm an easy bolt on?

Thanks
The rear fender is actually two-tone. Red on the fender and black on the chain guard.

Yes, the swing arm is an easy bolt-on swap. You also need the axel that goes with it as it's shorter than the stock one.

View attachment 45321
View attachment 45322
I like the rim treatment too. Is it paint or stick-on pin striping?

View attachment 45321
View attachment 45322
I use ACF50 on my bike; good to protect the metal work from rust, but does a nice job of bringing the plastics up too :)

Flushed and replaced the brake fluid this morning. If you don't replace brake fluid on time/mileage or ever......... I was reminded why Honda (and others) recommends brake fluid replacement on both time and/or mileage. This eight year old 2013 only has 7600 miles on it but when I removed the rear brake fluid reservoir cover the normal accumulation of moisture under the aluminum cover and on top of the diaphragm had begun to corrode the unfinished underside and edges of the cover. It was only a matter of time before the corrosion of the machined edge of the cover began to let water in, thrown up by the rear wheel, and hasten the march of corrosion. When the diaphragm does not seal properly due to the machined edge not sealing it against the top of the reservoir the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid pulls moisture into the fluid where it softens the peddle and corrodes the inside of the master cylinders and calipers. All on a garage stored bike with less than 8000 miles. The fluid in the rear circuits was abnormal in color compared to the front circuit fed by the handlebar master cylinder. I will order and replace the rear master cylinder cover and just for good measure the rubber diaphragm. The NCs rear brake is not that effective to begin with and many of us complain about it but I wonder how many bikes are out there with half the problem cruddy fluid from neglect of this easy job.

The good news is that the brake lever and pedal are restored to a firm feel with no sponginess which the pedal had no doubt due to moisture in the fluid. Just a 1 hour job taking my time. I wrote a short DIY post on this when I did this job on my 2012 for the first time. My 2013 has an extra step because of the linked brakes but it only adds a few minutes to the job.

Last edited:
Flushed and replaced the brake fluid this morning. If you don't replace brake fluid on time/mileage or ever......... I was reminded why Honda (and others) recommends brake fluid replacement on both time and/or mileage. This eight year old 2013 only has 7600 miles on it but when I removed the rear brake fluid reservoir cover the normal accumulation of moisture under the aluminum cover and on top of the diaphragm had begun to corrode the unfinished underside and edges of the cover. It was only a matter of time before the corrosion of the machined edge of the cover began to let water in, thrown up by the rear wheel, and hasten the march of corrosion. When the diaphragm does not seal properly due to the machined edge not sealing it against the top of the reservoir the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid pulls moisture into the fluid where it softens the peddle and corrodes the inside of the master cylinders and calipers. All on a garage stored bike with less than 8000 miles. The fluid in the rear circuits was abnormal in color compared to the front circuit fed by the handlebar master cylinder. I will order and replace the rear master cylinder cover and just for good measure the rubber diaphragm. The NCs rear brake is not that effective to begin with and many of us complain about it but I wonder how many bikes are out there with half the problem cruddy fluid from neglect of this easy job.

The good news is that the brake lever and pedal are restored to a firm feel with no sponginess which the pedal had no doubt due to moisture in the fluid. Just a 1 hour job taking my time. I wrote a short DIY post on this when I did this job on my 2012 for the first time. My 2013 has an extra step because of the linked brakes but it only adds a few minutes to the job.

Good for you, and that reminds me that my brake fluid is due for changing.

Engine oil gets all the glory due to aggressive marketing, but not brake fluid. If some people would take the effort they spend on doing early, excess, and/or expensive engine oil changes, and give more attention to the brake fluid, they would have a better functioning motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back