• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for a ride on Red 2015 NC700X DCT on Friday , but ended up getting a flat between Sutter Creek and Volcano ,
so My brother David and his pastor David rode to Martell/Jackson and got some fix a flat , but it didn't work . So I got to leave the bike ( nice homeowner Robert let me roll it down his road out of sight ) and rode on the back of my brothers BMW R1200GS and we continued on our ride over to hwy 88 and up to Morman Immigrant trail and back to Pollock Pines.( first time as passenger in 20 or so years and I'll give significant other kudo's, it's hard to get on & off the back and to give up control to someone else ) Went and retrieved bike yesterday and ordered a new tire . Guess I'll ride Black NC700X DCT for the next few days till the tire shows up
Yes, I’m a terrible passenger too. Sorry for the flat but thanks for reminding of an awesome ride up 88 through El Dorado NF on the way to Lake Tahoe. I went that way on a trip out west a few years ago.

Went for a short ride up Morman Emigrant Rd to 88 and up past Silver ,Kirkwood and Caples lake on black NC this afternoon ( it's only 25 min till your @8000' from my house and 45 mins to the top of Carson Pass ) It was a great short ride, but a lot of Harley traffic coming back from street vibrations in Virginia City , guess that's why I normally don't ride much on the weekends ,but wanted to see if the Aspens started to change colors and got to see the remnants of the 1st snow of the season :)) , than went to dinner in apple hill and was treated to a great sunset

Attachments

• PXL_20220926_014945290.jpg
    PXL_20220926_014945290.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220925_215041668.jpg
    PXL_20220925_215041668.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220925_215432659.jpg
    PXL_20220925_215432659.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220925_215452817.jpg
    PXL_20220925_215452817.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220926_015851861.jpg
    PXL_20220926_015851861.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
another mille bonne on my 2021 DCT

ogP5M2sh.jpg

Last edited:
Installed a set of Grip Puppies on the bars of my 2013. These feel comfortable and should help with the cramping of my throttle hand, but the act of installing these buggers onto the grips will probably give me hand cramps for a month. LOL

Finally got the YSS shock installed after a lot of communication with YSS and replacement of the original (long story) which was for the Asian market, but somehow sold by a EU distributor. The job is not complete yet because I still have to fit the left side bodywork. The shock fitment is the easy bit on this bike with the bodywork removal and refitting a real pain. Hopefuly It will be done next week.

P1080326.JPG

P1080335.JPG

Attachments

• P1080336.JPG
    P1080336.JPG
    518.4 KB · Views: 5
Finally got the YSS shock installed after a lot of communication with YSS and replacement of the original (long story) which was for the Asian market, but somehow sold by a EU distributor. The job is not complete yet because I still have to fit the left side bodywork. The shock fitment is the easy bit on this bike with the bodywork removal and refitting a real pain. Hopefuly It will be done next week.

View attachment 50533

View attachment 50534
Nice looking shock, what was the YSS part # and what year NC X did you install it on , also why did you pull the bodywork

I spent the last 2 days pulling shock and pulling it apart to see if stock spring would fit on my Penske Shock, no such luck , but mounted the Penske using the adjustable dog bones and marked where shock spring would contact frame around the sub assembly mount ( 3 1/2" OD on Penske vs 3.0" OD on stock shock ) and it looked like I could get it to not fowl with some minor grinding. Got grinding done , now paint freshly ground portion and remount the Penske tomorrow and if all's good install the rear wheel with a fresh Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 than go for a mellow ride to scuff in tire. Been Interesting doing this with 1 good hand , oh ya also changed the cam chain tensioner about a week ago and swapped tires on both nC 700 XD's

Ended up taking most of the day , so I'll be riding it tomorrow bto see if it was worth the effort. I loved that shock in my VFR and the weight of similar between the 2 bikes , but is has a 1200 lb spring ,might end up having to swap that to a 900 lb one. The Pirelli Diablo Rosso looks awesome but I'll have to take it easy scuffing it in .
PXL_20221001_220621184.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221001_195453816.jpg
    PXL_20221001_195453816.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220930_145329763.jpg
    PXL_20220930_145329763.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20221001_220649466.MOTION.jpg
    PXL_20221001_220649466.MOTION.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
Nice looking shock, what was the YSS part # and what year NC X did you install it on , also why did you pull the bodywork

Just realised that I hadn't mentioned that my bike is the X-Adv variant. I apologise for the confusion. As such the part number would not be relevant to the NCX. As far as I can see this particular shock is not listed for the NCX either.

I enclose the link for the items that are available in the EU at least. https://www.suspension-store.com/honda_nc_750x_14-18

On the bodywork removal, on this particular bike, a ridiculous amount of it needs to be removed to get access to the shock top bolt. The same applies to the front sprocket. A bit of imagination on Honda's part would not go amiss in that regard. Access to the top bolt on the NCX is nowhere near as difficult.

Just realised that I hadn't mentioned that my bike is the X-Adv variant. I apologise for the confusion. As such the part number would not be relevant to the NCX. As far as I can see this particular shock is not listed for the NCX either.

I enclose the link for the items that are available in the EU at least. https://www.suspension-store.com/honda_nc_750x_14-18

On the bodywork removal, on this particular bike, a ridiculous amount of it needs to be removed to get access to the shock top bolt. The same applies to the front sprocket. A bit of imagination on Honda's part would not go amiss in that regard. Access to the top bolt on the NCX is nowhere near as difficult.
Luckily on the 2015 NC700X you can just remove 1 Allen on each side fwd of grab rail and pop out section where it plugs in behind aluminum piece w swingarm pivot and foot pegs and prop it up( I used collapsible hiking staff's). On rt side there's a hole in frame that let's you put 17mm socket on long extension to remove top shock mount nut. The left side is the same but it only gives you a better view of Allen bolt. When you go to reinstall , attach sub assembly loosely to frame , than get shock installed in top mount , then attach it to sub assembly, than dog bones have jack under swingarm w bike on center stand ( I'd measure the distance from grab rail to top of swingarm (24") before I started removal

Went for a short ride up Morman Emigrant Rd to 88 and up past Silver ,Kirkwood and Caples lake on black NC this afternoon ( it's only 25 min till your @8000' from my house and 45 mins to the top of Carson Pass ) It was a great short ride, but a lot of Harley traffic coming back from street vibrations in Virginia City , guess that's why I normally don't ride much on the weekends ,but wanted to see if the Aspens started to change colors and got to see the remnants of the 1st snow of the season :)) , than went to dinner in apple hill and was treated to a great sunset
Beautiful!

Beautiful!
Just got back from a short 110 mile ride to placerville up 193 to Georgetown than Wentworth springs to Ice house and down to 50 and back to Pollock pines and home . The Penske shock and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3's totally transformed the NC700X, but now have to improve the forks and will probably install taper roller bearing in the steering stem while I'm getting LE to do the forks . Only got 56mpg on the trip , the foot shift kit and my riding don't get good mpg, but it's a gas :))

Attachments

• PXL_20221002_234920744.jpg
    PXL_20221002_234920744.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20221003_003432240.jpg
    PXL_20221003_003432240.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20221002_234911422.jpg
    PXL_20221002_234911422.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Installed a set of Grip Puppies on the bars of my 2013. These feel comfortable and should help with the cramping of my throttle hand, but the act of installing these buggers onto the grips will probably give me hand cramps for a month. LOL
I find they go on easily with a bit of soapy water.

Rode 4 hrs yesterday. Rode over to Salt Springs Florida and back. Checking out possible kayaking spots in the Ocala National forest area, no pics as I was riding and forgot to take pics.. .....burr, this morning it is 48' f here in Williston FL.

Follow up to my post number 1146

I did 200kms on the X-Adv today with the new YSS shock in place. My objective in getting this shock was for greater comfort on the rough backroads that I ride where the OEM shock used to hammer my dodgy lower back. As such I would be playing a lot with settings, hence the need for the remote spring preloader and the compression damping adjuster also.

There are 13 full turns available on the spring preload adjuster. There are approximately 30 clicks of adjustment on the Compression damping and probably similar on the rebound damping. I set off with about 60% of spring preload utilised and about 18 clicks from zero on the Compression damping adjuster. The rebound damping adjuster was turned back to zero.

It was soon evident that the shock was doing its job over rough ground because I was able to stay seated on sections of road where I would otherwise previously had to stand. There was never an issue with handling on this bike so that aspect remained unchanged. The only downside now is that the shock is showing up the shortfalls of the fork. I am not sure how I will rectify that, and as such I may look for a cartridge. The problem with the fork is that it feels as if there is too much high speed compression damping and not enough low speed compression damping.

For my next ride I have added another turn of spring preload to the shock, and I will back off the compression damping adjuster to about 10 clicks from zero. I will leave the rebound damping adjuster alone because I am happy enough with that setting as is. I will finalise settings on the next ride and get on with enjoying the bike thereafter. There are now 43,000 kms on the odometer and I am glad to be back on it again after 3 months without.

Well I dumped my bike today. 20mph and the suv in front of stopped dead, I locked up the back brake (like a dumba$$), the rear tire went out and down I went. My good helmet saved my head. A good armored jacket and kevlar pants saved most of me. I've been shopping for good boots with a malleolus pad but didn't get them yet so, of course, I broke my left ankle. I somehow also sprained my right thumb. I have no idea how. A bit of stiff neck too, but overall just mad about missing good riding weather. I hope to collect the bike tomorrow but seem to only have lost the left foot peg and bent the left crash bar, which helped save my foot.

Last edited:
Well I dumped my bike today. 20mph and the suv in front of stopped dead, I locked up the back brake (like a dumba$$), the rear tire went out and down I went. My good helmet saved my head. A good armored jacket and kevlar pants saved most of me. I've been shopping for good boots with a malleolus pad but didn't get them yet so, of course, I broke my left ankle. I somehow also sprained my right thumb. I have no idea how. A bit of stiff neck too, but overall just mad about missing good riding weather. I hope to collect the bike tomorrow but seem to only have lost the left foot peg and bent the left crash bar, which helped save my foot.
Sorry to hear of the accident and thank you for the reminder to be alert and keep a safe following distance.

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back