• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventures of Nana Chou - A Texas Butter Goes Alaskan

Thanks, JP!

Kind of a bad way to end his trip, but no one can deny it wasn't an adventure! Maybe there will be more stories and tales of derring-do this way, than simply doing it the "easy" way, for OCR, lol. He always has the best stories to tell. :D

Rock on, OCR!

Yeah, he's a tough ole goat, he's already talking about his next trip!

That's great to hear! I was worried when we had such a stretch without hearing anything. Glad he's already ready to be back in the saddle. Hope he mends up enough to make it to the HU meeting in NC. I know he was looking forward to that one. I know it's not likely, but hope he can. Is the bike salvageable?

That's great to hear! I was worried when we had such a stretch without hearing anything. Glad he's already ready to be back in the saddle. Hope he mends up enough to make it to the HU meeting in NC. I know he was looking forward to that one. I know it's not likely, but hope he can. Is the bike salvageable?

Yep, that's the trip he was talking about. He said it was mostly plastics that would need to be worked on, but he sounded confident that he was going to be able to patch everything up for the trip.

that's a relief.
OCR feels like family to me now.

we can always get another M.C.

OCR would be impossible to replace.

Last edited:
Hey, buddy! Good to see you posting!!!! Hope you are all better! :) How's the NC?

The Rest of the Alaskan Adventure Begins

Yes, with dislocated shoulder, the rest of the Alaskan Adventure had only just began.

I left the hospital on July 4th. The hospital nurse gave me a phone book to find a hotel and a bottle of Oxycod pills to kill the pain. I through the pills in the garbage can (knew I couldn't drive if I put this stuff in my system), and I started looking for a hotel that would pick me up from the hospital. The Motel 8 sent Joseph to pick me up at the Fairbanks hospital. Joseph is a real Alaskan native tribesman. Joseph was nice enough to drive me to a few auto dealerships, as I needed a truck to pick up Nana from the haul road. First we tried the Ford dealership, closed for July 4th. Next we tried the Dodge dealership, closed for July 4th. I told Joseph that his Alaskan people really went all out celebrating a holiday, and he agreed. He stated that he and about 1/2 the tribe are AA members.

Next we tried the Chevy dealership, and they were open. Here I met Louvenia Fair, a super skinny (about 80 lbs. with rocks in her pockets), black Alaskan, beautiful young lady. I explained to Louvenia that I needed a 8 foot cargo bed truck to carry Nana home in. Louvenia checked the dealership stock, then outside and up the hill we went. First let me explain that in Fairbanks, Alaska every vehicle (including autos) comes with two options. All the vehicles on the lot are 4 wheel drive, and they all have this plug coming out of the front grill. In the winter months, all the vehicles are plugged in when not running. No, they are not electric autos, this is the engine block warmer. Without this plug in, the block would crack in the cold winter months. Well all the way to the back of the lot was the perfect truck that I needed to get Nana home in. Only one problem, its had this large sold sign on it's front window. Now is when I saw Louvenia kick into high gear, you could see the sparks shooting from every opening in her head, then Bingo! Completely across the dealership lot we went, to used cars. There was a 8 ft. bed pickup with only 4700 miles on it. Told Louvenia I would take it, and back up the hill to the showroom we went.

When we got back to the showroom was when I found out that Louvenia as the newest employee at the dealership, and didn't even have a desk assigned to her yet. So while Louvenia went to find the file on the pickup, Joseph and I found this little table to set at. Soon Louvenia returned with the vehicle file. I asked her if she knew of anyone I could hire to go with me to pickup Nana on the haul road. She told me that she and her husband, a sales person at the Ford dealership, were going voluntary with me to the haul road to load Nana. I could not believe that the auto sales person was going for free to help me load Nana!

As Louvenia started doing the required paper work, I noticed that her entire arm was complete skin grafts. I asked her if she had gotten burned in a fire. She stopped working, turned and looked me square in the eye, and stated "No sir, I've got cancer!" Unbelievable! Someone who had just had her first child, fighting cancer for her own life, had just volunteered to help me. Is this lady a saint?

About the time we finished the paper work, over comes these two good old boys from the service shop. One of these old boys had a beard that would have made the Louisiana duck call boys proud, and the other was a big black man. They told Louvenia that they were going to pickup Nana, and that they didn't want a woman and a shot, fat, old man to go with them as we would just get in their way. Again, two guys at the Lithia Chevrolet of Fairbanks, just up and volunteered to help!

So, Joseph and I went back to the Hotel 8 for the night. The next morning at 10:00 AM Louvenia picked me up at the hotel. Joseph helped me get all my gear loaded into Lovenia's truck and to the dealership we went. When we got to the dealership, those two good old boys had Nana perfectly loaded in the new pickup bed, the truck topped off with gas, and ready to roll. What great people at Lithia Chevrolet in Fairbanks! I was crying as I drove away. Please everyone, go to Lithia Chevrolet of Fairbanks (Face Book), and give these folks the praise they earned.

I did not make it to the furthest place north in north America, but I did make it to the furthest Denny's in north America.

075.jpg

Riding in a 4 wheeler back to Texas was not even 1/2 the fun of being on a 2 wheeler.

But Nana and I got to see all these license plates.

076.jpg

Watch as this black bear took the lunch sandwich away from the man with the road crew's stop sign. That fellow was running around the truck to get away from the bear. He told me that was the second time that bear has got his lunch now.

079.jpg

And we got to see a few critters along the way.

078.jpg
082.jpg
089.jpg

Not a bad Adventure!

Got to get Nana fixed fast, else I'll go into motorcycle withdrawals.6.jpg

smileyfirstaid.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, just wow, OCR! :) So good to hear from you again finally, despite the troubles and travails, mate! It sounds like birds of a feather found you and replied in kind, with good Karma all 'round. You deserve nothing less.

That was such a heartwarming story about the people you came across in Alaska. Restores a little faith if ya know what I mean! Good to hear from you OCR!!!

Ocr glad to see you back.still good people in this world i am a firm believer in this.we were all waiting to hear from you.glad all ok.nana a tough bike.look who built her.

OCR, How about a rundown of the damage to Nana. The picture of the bike strapped in the back of the truck looks like there's not too much damage. I hour you're able to get rehabbed and Nana straightened in time to make it to NC for that HU gathering. Unfortunately I have a conflict, but if you make it I'll make an effort to get up there just to say hi. Hippie you heal up soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Just saw this:
"Old Can Ride achieved 10000 Experience Points"​
After following this thread with great interest, every last one of them well deserved!

Welcome back, buddy!
Nice pictures and a very touching story! I will definitely look them up on the Facebook and put my thoughts in writing there :)

There is not a single picture of yourself though !!! We need to "meet" you, so please post them :) I can hear a 100 "Yeah, OCR! Post them!" in the background....

Back