• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

another windscreen string!

JimbosToys

Reaction score
Visit site
Gentlemen - I have been struggling with wind noise on my 2012. Kluged a system with a Spitfire on top of the sawed-off Honda touring screen that came on the bike. Works well, but kinda fugly and it needs to go back to my XL350R.
Effective and decent looking (to me) is a challenge.
Bought a Puig - it was trim and looked right but was not effective for me (5-8, 29" inseam). I have 30mm risers. I returned it.
Almost ready to make my own, but thinking about one of these:

LARGE 20"x35" Windshield for Suzuki Cruiser Savage Intruder Volusia Boulevard | eBay

Will mainly use for cold weather/long rides and remove for running around. Can't find a local shop that has a similar one to get a feel. A bit unconventional, wide, designed for handlebar mounting (I would mount to frame and the Honda touring screen frame and with spacers on top of the existing small screen).

Comments? Thanks. Jim

I have one similar to this on my boulevard; except mine goes down to the headlamp bucket and attaches to the inverted forks. They are wide and do cut down on some of the wind noise (but does not eliminate the noise). It does a very good job of stopping/redirecting the wind from the chest, head, hands. Unfortunately I only have one picture of my old C50 Boulevard (2007 with 75,000+ miles on the odo)-see below. This spring I am going to replace it since I was T-bone by a deer a few months ago and have 2 splinter cracks at the mounting holes-I may keep this ebay site and order one of these (very good price-even though I don't like how it doesn't go down to the headlight bucket.

Mounting to handlebar I don't think would work since the front plastic on the bike doesn't move when turning the bars-clearance issue when moving bars to full left or to full right. You would have to find a way to mount on the front plastic of the bike and Dennis M may be right, might be a clearance issue with the mirrors on the bar and such also. This windshield isn't made for bikes with full plastics on the front. If you go this route and get it to work, make sure to post pics...:)

The wind over the top of a shield is the only wind that needs to be managed........all else is irrelevant.
While sitting in the saddle the top of the shield should allow one to see the roadway approximately a car length ahead.

My NC and Motus have tall clear shields and work great. I bought a custom Parabellum blank shield for the Motus
and trimmed it to a rather narrow profile to fit the size of the bike. I did the same thing with an F800ST.

Guys - thanks for the input. I was going to mount on the frame in front of the existing shield; I think/hope there is clearance. I rocked the handlebar lock-to-lock and I think there is room. But that means there will be less wind protection at the grips.
I wish I could try one without buying/shipping; we do not have well-stocked bike shops here to see one in person. I hoped someone had tried this, but looks like I'm gonna have to fly blind.
Regards, Jim

I handlebar mounted a National Cycle Wind Deflector DX on my 2012 NCX after removing the stock screen and fabricating a small flyscreen to protect the back side of the instrument pod and funnel air up behind the DX. It looked a bit funky but worked well for me. I rode behind that set up 28,000 miles. The DX was mounted far enough away it cleared all the stock NCX plastics when the forks were turned from side to side. Having the gap between the DX and the flyscreen is similar to how the Madstad is designed - the air funneled up the slot behind the windshield and above the tiny flyscreen reduced noise and turbulence. I often thought if the Deflector DX was a bit wider across the top and 2" higher it would have been perfect.

Dave - I did a similar trial with my Spitfire screen. Was decent, just wiggled and I didn't want to drill it as it goes to another bike of mine.
How tall is your screen (both actual and from the lower tip of where the OEM screen tip would be)? How tall are you?
Thanks for taking the time to provide input. Jim

Dave - I did a similar trial with my Spitfire screen. Was decent, just wiggled and I didn't want to drill it as it goes to another bike of mine.
How tall is your screen (both actual and from the lower tip of where the OEM screen tip would be)? How tall are you?
Thanks for taking the time to provide input. Jim
I'm sorry I can't help with details like measurements. I sold that NCX in October 2014. My 2015 NCX has a Madstad and it works better all around but then it isn't as inexpensive as the Deflector was.

I did it a promised a report. Got this screen off eBay for $50 from TMS and mounted in front of the existing sawed off Hounda Touring screen (came that way). Pain to mount and not yet perfect, but protects hands and chest, no buffeting, vasly improves noise in helmet, and is only half fugly! I might fiddle with an adjustable mount in the future.
BTW - it's 20" tall and 35" wide.

i the Honda aftermarket screen and it is very solid and works well, but may not be for taller riders as

I bought the Honda aftermarket screen and really like it, it is very solid mounted and blocks wind with very little buffeting behind it, but I am 5'7", may not work for tall riders

'

Back