• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bar End/weight removal (How to)

Wow! This has been very informative! I had no clue about any of this. It's making me wonder if I really want to remove these weights when i install my barkbusters. I do remember reading one rider just left the weights in and attached the barkbusters to the bar ends. It seems like this might be the best option instead of removing them and using the internal hardware that came with the barkbusters, since the internal hardware is very light weight aluminum.

Suggestions?

The NC doesn't seem very buzzy to begin with, so why not try it without the weights. If you don't like it you can always put them back in. The additional benefit of this approach is that you can report back to us on how it feels without the weight. :)

Bob

Wow! This has been very informative! I had no clue about any of this. It's making me wonder if I really want to remove these weights when i install my barkbusters. I do remember reading one rider just left the weights in and attached the barkbusters to the bar ends. It seems like this might be the best option instead of removing them and using the internal hardware that came with the barkbusters, since the internal hardware is very light weight aluminum.

Suggestions?

The Barkbuster package I purchased from Twisted Throttle was set up to work with stock bar ends. Came with new end bolt, allen head counter sunk.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/attachments/nc700-general-discussion/2714d1360438959-hand-guards-

The Barkbuster package I purchased from Twisted Throttle was set up to work with stock bar ends. Came with new end bolt, allen head counter sunk.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/attachments/nc700-general-discussion/2714d1360438959-hand-guards-

This is the Barkbuster set I got from Twisted Throttle
Barkbusters Storm Handguard (Suzuki DL650 ‘04-’13, Honda NC700X, Varadero & Crosstourer) - NC700X - Honda - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

I THINK this set has a different mounting clamp that attaches to the bars. Previous versions, I think had issues with where the clamp mounted to the bars (not the bar ends) so the clamp was changed on this new setup for the NCX. This setup can use the Storm handguards or the VPS handgards.

Well thanks to all the information on here I finally was able to install my Barkbusters today. I wanted to keep the orignal bar weights in, so I tried to just use the bar ends that came with the Barkbusters, however.... that didn't work because the bar weights and the original bar ends both have a half moon fitting that lock them together. So I ended up using the stock bar ends as well.
I see now why Barkbuster replaced the clamps that go on the handlebars from the ones they had in previous kits for the NCx. They made the new clamps angle towards the bar ends to get around the brake reservoir. I can imagine it was a real chore to make the older clamps work there! Since I used the stock bar ends, and they are a little longer than the ones Barkbuster supplies, it did make the fitting of the clamps a bit more snug on the right hand side.

I did see in another thread where Barkbuster recommends that if you use original bar end weights with 5mm thread instead of using their internal hardware that you tap them out to take 6mm thread and use the 6mm bolts they supply. I am not sure if I will bother to do this. I'm sure it would make the assembly stronger in the event that you have an impact though.

Thanks trooper, I emailed you.. I'm interested in how you did your install.

Ok, here are some pics of my install.
uploadfromtaptalk1364032756936.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364032786158.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364032786158.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 225
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364032818937.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364032818937.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 243
Hey, sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have the honda heated grips installed on my bike (installed by dealer), and the tips in here don't quite seem the same. You cannot quite "roll back" the left grip, as this solid, so how does one access that hole? Since I Didn't put them on, I am unfamiliar with their construction. Has anyone with the Honda heated grips installed hand guards yet?

Hey, sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have the honda heated grips installed on my bike (installed by dealer), and the tips in here don't quite seem the same. You cannot quite "roll back" the left grip, as this solid, so how does one access that hole? Since I Didn't put them on, I am unfamiliar with their construction. Has anyone with the Honda heated grips installed hand guards yet?

The throttle sleeve is positioned by a pin in the right handlebar control unit. Loosen the brake lever perch and move it inboard. Then remove the screw holding the two halves of the control unit together. You can spread them enough to free the pin and move the throttle sleeve inboard as well.

I put a set of throttlemeisters on mine. the kit comes with a puller that I held on to. throttlemeister is a throttle lock system that uses the end weight to roll-on and roll off. even had them on my wing. some day I will learn to put pictures on here.

The throttle sleeve is positioned by a pin in the right handlebar control unit. Loosen the brake lever perch and move it inboard. Then remove the screw holding the two halves of the control unit together. You can spread them enough to free the pin and move the throttle sleeve inboard as well.

Thank you Beemerphile for the quick reply! It seems the left grip is what's really giving me the trouble. As far as I'm aware, the left heated grip is glued to the bar just as the stock factory ones are. But unless I'm doing something wrong, it does not seem that I can "roll back" the edge of the grip to gain access to the holes where the clamps are. It feels like the grip is 'solid' and won't roll enough, leaving me with no access to the holes. Am I just not prying it back hard enough? It feels like it is solid and won't pry anymore, which to me makes sense since there is a heating element running through them. I just wish I knew what the left heated grip looked and felt like before it was installed on the bike.

Thank you Beemerphile for the quick reply! It seems the left grip is what's really giving me the trouble. As far as I'm aware, the left heated grip is glued to the bar just as the stock factory ones are. But unless I'm doing something wrong, it does not seem that I can "roll back" the edge of the grip to gain access to the holes where the clamps are. It feels like the grip is 'solid' and won't roll enough, leaving me with no access to the holes. Am I just not prying it back hard enough? It feels like it is solid and won't pry anymore, which to me makes sense since there is a heating element running through them. I just wish I knew what the left heated grip looked and felt like before it was installed on the bike.

The holes that the clamps are in are not too deep into the bars. It may be possible to reach in from the end of the bar and drive two small slotted screwdrivers in to push the pins toward the center. With the pins held in by the screwdrivers (or the 2nd helper that Army field manuals call "Soldier B"), you may be able to reinsert a bolt into the center and use it to slide-hammer the insert out of the bar. Some lubricant (WD40?) sprayed into the gap may help as well as the rubber has a lot of traction against the inside surface of the bar.

I have the handguards installed after the heated grips. Used back all original bar ends, screws and inserts as did not read the Barkbusters instructions before gluing the left grip. I won't try to roll back the grip as it's not quite flexible due to the heating elements. Works fine though.

I have the handguards installed after the heated grips. Used back all original bar ends, screws and inserts as did not read the Barkbusters instructions before gluing the left grip. I won't try to roll back the grip as it's not quite flexible due to the heating elements. Works fine though.

So you just used all the factory weights and bar ends? I was thinking of trying this method out as it seemed like it should all line up!

Yip ,me too ,,,,I faffed around trying to clear the holes without damaging the heated grips,,and gave up,,I then used the original screws and weights,,that worked ok,,but in a view to reducing the overall withe of the bike (to allow entrance to my bike park) I replaced the original weights with barkbusters own... my plan is to get the honda techs to get them out next service...then fit all barkbuster fittings as the bolts looks so much stronger...

Well it's good to hear that is an option. Was there any sort of clearance issue with the guards clearing the clutch adjuster and other controls since they would be a little farther outwards on each side of the bars? By the way, anyone use these with the taller honda windscreen? Do they bump into it at full lock?

They cleared the levers no problems at all,,and secondly no problems with the Honda tall screen...but to be honest I regret buying the barkbuster setup,,,I saw a custom made setup that looked really neat..they attached to the bar ends then kind of slit in two and reconnected to the handle bar clamp,,of cause the clamp was custom made.Check them out Highway Dirt Bikes

Back