• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can happiness be found with DCT?

I bought a DCT version earlier this year and my feelings are mixed. I'm rather surprised that I don't love it as much as I expected. I've ridden a manual version also. What I found was that it was shifting when I didn't want it to, specifically when your leaning into a corner on the entry it will down shift because you've rolled off the throttle. Because its not a throttle by wire system there is no rev matching and it jerks a little on the down shifts and upsets your cornering line slightly. You can work around it by toggling a downshift before corner entry but then you might as well be doing it with a manual trans. And that's the other thing. I found I really missed downshifting. Its fun to do rev matched downshifts. I also miss the clutch for low speed maneuvering. I bought the DCT primarily to get ABS. I found the manual version a little more fun to ride but not enough to give up the ABS. If it sounds like I'm down on the DCT, I'm not. It's just that it was a more different riding experience than I anticipated and you should be aware of that.

All these things that you are describing can be easily remedied by using "S-Mode" most of the time and using the shift paddles to override the shifts, especially the downshifts. "D-Mode" is intended for freeway and highway use. I do not like being strong-armed into 6th gear at 40 MPH and the bike does not have any decent pickup without full throttling it downshift into 4th gear where it should be.

If "S-Mode" does nor do what you want it to do, then you always have "MT-Mode". I mainly use this mode when in slow moving traffic and when lane-splitting. The bike is more predicable this way.

All these things that you are describing can be easily remedied by using "S-Mode" most of the time and using the shift paddles to override the shifts, especially the downshifts. "D-Mode" is intended for freeway and highway use. I do not like being strong-armed into 6th gear at 40 MPH and the bike does not have any decent pickup without full throttling it downshift into 4th gear where it should be.

If "S-Mode" does nor do what you want it to do, then you always have "MT-Mode". I mainly use this mode when in slow moving traffic and when lane-splitting. The bike is more predicable this way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I experienced in auto mode is that you can change the gear with the paddles, but after a few seconds the progeam just changes it back to where it was. For example in S mode at 50 mph you decide you want 6th gear. You toggle it to 6th and you're happy. 5 seconds later it goes back to 5th. Or in D mode at 50 mph you change down to 5th. A few seconds later it just changes back to 6th. It seems often you just have to go to manual mode to be in the gear you want.

I really enjoy my DCT/ABS version. In my humble opinion, after 5400 miles on Skookum, the Honda engineers have done a great job of selecting gears and speeds. Their results give me great mpg in "D" (most of my commuting) and plenty of pop in "S" for the fun stuff. I frequently use the paddles for downshifting when I feel the need and every one of those shifts is perfectly clutched. In fact, all of the shifting is remarkably smooth and consistent. I have heard people express concerns about the bike up-shifting in the middle of a turn and yes, it can happen. But... The shifts are so smooth that it is not worrisome at all.

If you decide to try a DCT, there will be a period of adjustment (I still reach for the clutch lever every once in a while) but I am sure you will find it a joy to ride.
>T

That is pretty much exactly what I do. I run in sport mode most of the time and just toggle down a gear or two before leaning in. Seems to work best that way for my riding.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I experienced in auto mode is that you can change the gear with the paddles, but after a few seconds the progeam just changes it back to where it was. For example in S mode at 50 mph you decide you want 6th gear. You toggle it to 6th and you're happy. 5 seconds later it goes back to 5th. Or in D mode at 50 mph you change down to 5th. A few seconds later it just changes back to 6th. It seems often you just have to go to manual mode to be in the gear you want.

Let me clarify this for you in more detail. The PCM manages the gear selection by multiple parameters such as velocity and engine speed. Depending on which "Mode" you are in, the PCM will make the correct gear selection based on the parameters set forth for that mode. If the PCM determines if the parameters to put the engine in an undesired state, it will do one of two things. Either ignore the driver's request completely or perform the function temporarily and resume its previous operation a few moments later.

For instance in "S-Mode" with your example of 50 MPH in 5th gear and you press the "+" button to go to 6th, it will ignore that request as the system does not see that as optimum for that mode.

For instance in "D-Mode" with your example of 50 MPH in 6th gear and you press the "-" button to go to 5th, it will perform the requested action momentarily and change back into 6th a few moments later.

In any of the two "Automatic Modes", the "+" & "-" paddles are supplemental and are treated as "Overrides", not as hard lock-downs and the system will resume its operation as the PCM sees fit base on its operation parameters for that selected mode.

I hope this answers your questions regarding the DCT basic operations.

Nothing like sitting in a long line of bikes at a place near you, Daytona, and watch Fussy just sitting there with both arms folded. I can not do that, as I have to keep a hand on the clutch in order to move quickly, sooner or later. Appears to me that the DCT is a whole lot less stress.

I love mine. I think you'll only drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out until you've been able to get used to one. I've already got about 47K on mine and she's only 16 months old and holding up very well. I love the transmission and am planning on getting the Africa Twin when I can afford it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dave, you're leaning towards the DCT so I say go for it. Like someone said earlier you can always sell it if you don't like it. I have a feeling you will love it!!!

dont forget that DCT comes with ABS. that i think has a greater value. at least it is very important to me. ABS is very much needed in commuting riding.

I tried to get my boys to get a DCT model. They went "manly" and could not tell me why they had to have a "real" motorcycle when they don't even know how to drive a manual car. They did not listen when I tried to tell them that ABS could easily save their hide(s).

Yeah but all the MotoGP bikes now have quick shifters and even though they are not true automatics, Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez seem to do just fine with clutchless shifting. And no one is calling MotoGP bikes "scooters".

When I got back into motorcycling after a long hiatus I had no qualms about going clutchless. I think it's even better on a motorcycle which takes far more concentration and awarenes than a car. For me, not having to worry about shifting makes the ride more pleasurable and I think safer. One less thing for my brain to have to deal with, and that much more brain available for situational awareness. It allows me to concentrate solely on piloting the bike which I find to be a real joy. I have shifted gears manually for 40+ years - that's enough for me. I think the DCT is wonderful and I hope to see it from other motorcycle manufacturers someday.

Ditto.

Yep. That happens. I don't really care about it though.

Nothing like sitting in a long line of bikes at a place near you, Daytona, and watch Fussy just sitting there with both arms folded. I can not do that, as I have to keep a hand on the clutch in order to move quickly, sooner or later. Appears to me that the DCT is a whole lot less stress.

Correct.

As a Boy Scout I would just tell the dealer the truth. If he won't let you test it then come and visit me. (Land O Lakes area). You can ride mine all over if you want. The dealer we have close by does not allow test rides. They said "Sorry". I did not threaten to not buy one and took the chance. Glad I did. One less thing to have to do now. My cars/trucks are automatics now too. I got sick of having to do the manual stuff all the time.

Will the used bike seller let you have a long test ride? I probably wouldn't unless I held the cash while the ride was going on. I'm not that nice a Boy Scout.

AND - when you get the bike, if you don't like it I will convince one of my boys it would be much better to have a DCT than a X and you can trade with one of them. One boy has a 2012, no recalls ;) + some farkles. The other has a 2014, Didn't need the relay replacement recall. :p

Best of luck.

OH YEA! One of my other bikes was a Concourse. I really liked that bike. I had this 20yr hiatus and got back into it on the NC after extensive research. If I continue and want to cover more ground in more comfort I want a another Concourse............if they offer it with a DCT!

Last edited:

True to a point. If you are cruising along the DCT will try to go back to what it considers optimum gear for mode you are in. Most of my overrides are down shifting for curve or passing. It will not upshift if you are off the throttle so if wanting engine braking it stays in selected gear. If passing and going wide open throttle it won't upshift until approaching rev limiter in either S of D.

I tried to get my boys to get a DCT model. They went "manly" and could not tell me why they had to have a "real" motorcycle when they don't even know how to drive a manual car. They did not listen when I tried to tell them that ABS could easily save their hide(s).

Ditto.

Yep. That happens. I don't really care about it though.

Correct.

As a Boy Scout I would just tell the dealer the truth. If he won't let you test it then come and visit me. (Land O Lakes area). You can ride mine all over if you want. The dealer we have close by does not allow test rides. They said "Sorry". I did not threaten to not buy one and took the chance. Glad I did. One less thing to have to do now. My cars/trucks are automatics now too. I got sick of having to do the manual stuff all the time.

Will the used bike seller let you have a long test ride? I probably wouldn't unless I held the cash while the ride was going on. I'm not that nice a Boy Scout.

AND - when you get the bike, if you don't like it I will convince one of my boys it would be much better to have a DCT than a X and you can trade with one of them. One boy has a 2012, no recalls ;) + some farkles. The other has a 2014, Didn't need the relay replacement recall. :p

Best of luck.

OH YEA! One of my other bikes was a Concourse. I really liked that bike. I had this 20yr hiatus and got back into it on the NC after extensive research. If I continue and want to cover more ground in more comfort I want a another Concourse............if they offer it with a DCT!
My local dealer just has 2015s on the floor and he will prep one for me to demo but I'd rather buy a used one to save money and if the used one has some stuff on it like luggage that's all the better. I just sold the last farkle off my old NC700X about two weeks ago and now I'm thinking of starting over again. Crazy.

The used bike is at a Honda dealer over 200 miles away and he's not likely to let me demo the bike but I haven't asked. He has been great over the phone but you can only do so much before you have to shake hands and I'm not going to see him until I'm sure of my decision. Thanks for your insights. The Concours is a really nice bike.

My local dealer just has 2015s on the floor and he will prep one for me to demo but I'd rather buy a used one to save money and if the used one has some stuff on it like luggage that's all the better. I just sold the last farkle off my old NC700X about two weeks ago and now I'm thinking of starting over again. Crazy.
A 2015s? The "s" is available here in the States?

Yes, that was what I meant. Local dealer has two 2015 NC700X models but no used.

Well, what are you waiting for? Get on over there and ride it.

One of two things will occur. Either you will not like it or you will be coming home with it.

If you do get it or the other one you were talking about. You will need a new Fuelly profile and code name for the bike. "SippeeCup" is no more...

Attachments

• fe2c623dcfeb77af53a893612014f652.jpg
    fe2c623dcfeb77af53a893612014f652.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 116
Well, what are you waiting for? Get on over there and ride it.

One of two things will occur. Either you will not like it or you will be coming home with it.

If you do get it or the other one you were talking about. You will need a new Fuelly profile and code name for the bike. "SippeeCup" is no more...
The delay concerning the local demo ride is three solid weeks of rain. We had a dry day last Sunday into Monday but periods of heavy rain every day this week. Rain does not stop me from riding but I didn't want to demo the bike in the rain. Tomorrow afternoon looks like it might dry out.

The delay concerning the local demo ride is three solid weeks of rain. We had a dry day last Sunday into Monday but periods of heavy rain every day this week. Rain does not stop me from riding but I didn't want to demo the bike in the rain. Tomorrow afternoon looks like it might dry out.

Rain, what's that? We have not seen any significant amount of rain in years here in SoCal. Sent some it our way fill up all our empty/near empty lakes and reservoirs.

Back