• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Change oil now or in the spring?

supertux1

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Winter is coming. :(

So is my 8,000 mile service. (7,700 miles on the clock since mid May.)

Should I change out the oil now or let it sit in the garage (heated) with the current oil until spring? I last changed it at the 600 mile service.

I would change it now. I often change oil in the late-fall and skip changing it again in the spring, until it has rolled up the normal amount of miles. This is a much better scheme than leaving old oil in the engine for 3-4 months where it'll only get worse in regards to water content, acids, etc.

Last edited:
Following the Honda maintenance schedule, I would change it at 8000 miles, or 1 year since the last change, whichever comes first. So, if I read your mileage and dates correctly, I would not change it now as it's not needed yet. Also, I believe your engine oil filter is due at 16,000 miles on your 2016 model.

My 2012 owner's manual has a section on storage. It suggests lubing the drive chain and removing the battery, but makes no mention of changing the engine oil. You might check your 2016 manual for advice.

Last edited:
This is a much better scheme than leaving old oil in the engine for 3-4 months where it'll only get worse in regards to water content, acids, etc.

If water absorption is an issue, the new oil will absorb the same amount of water as the old oil, so I don't see how changing it now makes any difference.

I change when I put the bike away. It's just easier to do it that way. Wash, oil change, battery tender & fuel stabilizer, done. (why would you want 'dirty' oil to sit in your engine over winter when you're just going to change it in the spring?)
The first start is the hardest, why not have 'maximum protection' for it?

Last edited:
At 96% of the oil change interval with a lay-up coming, I would change it. But that is just what I could do. The bike will be fine either way. Inside 5% of the oil change interval, I do the change based on convenience or outside factors. Outside factors include lay-ups, big trips coming, in the middle of a big trip, etc. So, 95% to 105% of the planned OCI depending on whatever practical considerations may apply.

I would change it now because I think some contaminants would settle out over the winter and deposit on the bottom of the engine.not going to happen with new oil. I could be wrong on this, just a theory.

I just changed my oil a month ago. Need to ride 10,000 more km's before I'm due to change it again. I'll let it sit over the winter and continue riding next year till I'm due for a scheduled change.

Had I not changed my oil this season I would change it in the fall regardless of how much life may be left in the oil. In other words change your oil at least once a year even if you hardly rode the bike since last years change.

In the past, I have let 90% used up oil sit in my bike over the winter. I'm not saying I should have, but I did. When I sold my last bike (1978 Suzuki GS100L) in 2009, it had > 100K miles on it. If leaving old oil in hurt it, I couldn't tell.

However, I'm older and wiser now and tend to baby my current bike more than I did the old one. I'd probably change it instead of waiting if I were you. It can't hurt, right? It'll just make you ready when nice weather comes around...one less thing and all.

Thanks guys!

I think I am going to change the oil now and run it a few hundred miles before it gets too cold and miserable outside. It's only $30 and that's cheap for peace of mind.

I have all the other stuff for storage, a cover, a battery tender for the lithium battery, fuel stabilizer etc... cleaned the bike and chain last week and will do it once more before putting it away.

Probably the last thing I want to do on the first nice day of spring is worry about the oil. :)

It is all your piece of mind. If you don't change it and going to worry about it over the winter-change it. I ride in the winter up here in Indiana as long as the roads are clear of ice/snow so I would change it because I would ride the bike; however, if I knew for a fact the bike wouldn't be ridden over the winter, I would wait until spring and save me $20. But then, I also change the oil in my C50 cruiser every 2000 miles instead of the manual stated 3000 miles and 4000 miles on the NC instead of the 8000 miles-I am not a big time rider like some on the forum but I do average about 20,000 miles each year between the 3 bikes I own. Again, do whatever will give you the most piece of mind. There is no scientific laboratory evidence to support or deny our opinions on the matter.

I need to put a Battery Tender pigtail on my NC... Don't really need one for my WR -- that EarthX lithium iron phosphate battery is sweet. And so was the weight loss.

I don't see the point of changing the oil to let it sit over the winter and collect water. I've been impressed with how little the oil degrades in the NCX, last oil change at 8k+ was almost yellow, darker than new oil, but not black by any definition.

I like starting out the riding season with fresh oil so I'd probably do it in the spring. But in reality, I doubt it would make any difference either way, especially sitting in a heated garage (assuming it's a furnace or vented type of heater that doesn't dump water vapor into the garage).

Last edited:
Back