• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT In Review

Just wanted to add that 2 weeks ago, I did a group test ride of the 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 stone with a clutch of course. Honestly, I was a little worried about stalling since I hadn't been on a bike with a clutch in years. It came back to me without even thinking about it. In fact other guys in the ride were having difficulty with the Moto Guzzi clutch and I was just laughing because they all rode up on standard manual bikes and I rode up on my DCT. After 15 minutes of riding my clutch hand started to get sore though. The MotoGuzzi clutch was actually quite nice and had a perfect clutch engagement range. It had more pep than my NC but nothing significant as the one I rode was a 750cc bike. I remember how happy I was to get back on my NC DCT with the high riding position and the clutchless shifting. No doubt in my mind that all my bikes will be automatics for the rest of my riding career. Also, I liked the comment about the petcock valve. Youngsters these days don't remember those because all of the newer bikes have gas gauges. Nothing like scrambling to switch the tank flow to the reserve setting while you are trying to maneuver in traffic....:)

Ouch!:mad:

Put on my engine guards, bags, and chain oiler early this morning. Have not got to electrial yet! Also, have to put on barkbusters. Will take a while to put on the barkbusters, as the braces from barkbuster are not a good fit. I have ordered handguard mounting hardware on ebay, as the brackets that came with the barkbusters just do not fit or look like I would like them too.

Spent a few days with the doctors this week doing post ops. March and April can not come fast enought so I can once again RIDE!

Have to spend most of the next few days at the Lone Star Rally, once again sitting at the tables and talking to folks. It is ok, but no where near as much fun as the actual RIDING. So, it will be a few days until I can get back to working on the AT. Hopefully, no more scratches.

Last edited:
Take it easy and enjoy the farkling.
Come March2017, if I survive MMM in Telico Plains, we will hopefully "Ride Red" together!
Ouch!:mad:

Put on my engine guards, bags, and chain oiler early this morning. Have not got to electrial yet! Also, have to put on barkbusters. Will take a while to put on the barkbusters, as the braces from barkbuster are not a good fit. I have ordered handguard mounting hardware on ebay, as the brackets that came with the barkbusters just do not fit or look like I would like them too.

Spent a few days with the doctors this week doing post ops. March and April can not come fast enought so I can once again RIDE!

Have to spend most of the next few days at the Lone Star Rally, once again sitting at the tables and talking to folks. It is ok, but no where near as much fun as the actual RIDING. So, it will be a few days until I can get back to working on the AT. Hopefully, no more scratches.

It literally wasn't until this year that each factory bike on the MotoGP grid even had the technology of a true dual clutch system.

Not related to DCT - different story there - it took the other factories teams longer to reach to where Honda has been mainly because of the ultra precision and manufacturing complexity these seamless gearboxes need to do split second changes while transferring power north of 240hps.
Somewhere around $300 000 annual lease per bike or so...

Done over 8000 miles on mine, its brilliant, trouble is every time I ride a bike with a clutch now I stall it at the lights!

I ride my goldwing around town a lot, I like the stereo. I can't tell you how many times I come to a stop sign or red light and I forget to down shift. I tell myself "crappy old technology clutch" lol

it doesn't matter, the clutch calibrates itself automatically all the time and with my bike it's obvious that after a cold start it's slightly off for the first one or two engagements. That by itself wouldn't be enough to stall the bike, but when the engine management also decides to stop with the high idle a bit early, the two factors combined caused my specific bike to stall 2 or 3 times in the more than 4 years/22k+ miles I've owned it. It's also obvious from how the engine/gearbox react when it might happen because of how it reacts to the throttle. Like I said, slightly more throttle prevents it from happening (so to rev up the engine more before it decides to engage the clutch) or alternatively I could just let the bike idle for a few seconds longer. Maybe the DCT clutch calibration puts it in a default engagement range that solves the problem but I probably wouldn't even know if it did because it only happened all of 3 times in 4 years of ownership and only when it was nearly freezing anyway.

The fact that it (otherwise) won't stall makes it a great bike for low speed manoeuvres, and it's really helpful if you ever get in over your head off road as well

FWIW the newer bikes slip the clutch so much in 1st and even 2nd that this is a complete non-issue

Yep.
I learned many years ago that it does not count till everything is at operating temperature. Good thing you don't fly.

Back