• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Does my DCT have a problem??

BerndM

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2013 NC700XD is hands down the best all around bike I have ever owned in 50+ years of riding and it performs flawlessly except for one intermittent issue.:confused:
Every once in a while, as I am coming to a stop, the DCT seems to hesitate a bit too long to go down into 1st gear, causing the engine to buck a bit before finally dropping into 1st and then neutral.
I'm usually in D mode and have not tried to see if it does it in S mode.
I'm pretty positive that there is nothing whatsoever that I can do about other than take it in for a check.
Have any of you experienced a similar issue, and what was the result?
Bernd

DCT doesn't go to neutral by itself with engine still running. You have to do that manually with mode switch.
When you stop do you see on display that DCT is on higher gear than first? Don't you feel/hear that transmission is reducing gears just before you stop and display is synchronized?

You're right. I misspoke when I said Neutral. I meant to say.....:confused: whatever you call the state of the DCT when you are idling but still "in" gear. Disengaged:confused:
The DCT downshifts perfectly from 6th to 2nd but sometimes that last shift from 2nd into 1st hangs up some causing the slight low rpm bucking.

You're right. I misspoke when I said Neutral. I meant to say.....:confused: whatever you call the state of the DCT when you are idling but still "in" gear. Disengaged:confused:
The DCT downshifts perfectly from 6th to 2nd but sometimes that last shift from 2nd into 1st hangs up some causing the slight low rpm bucking.

Sorry I can't help, but is there any chance you could video the beast with one of those cheap dashcam affairs, (the ones that start recording as soon as you start up, and just record in a constant loop) at least that way you might be able to catch it in the act one day, lol.

Then if you take it to a dealer you will be able to have graphic evidence to help with diagnostics. Whenever you take a bike to a dealer with an intermittent problem, they never ever seem to do it! They always get written up as: "Unable to duplicate" :/

Go ride in the S mode for awhile, it shifts up and down more aggressively, then go back to D and see what you think.

There is not much you can do by yourself. Do you have a service manual?. All section 12 is devoted to DCT problems. You didn't notice a shift indicator "-" blinking on display?
First thing I would do is to change oil, just in case.
This may be related with oil pressure. When you start to slow down, you release throttle. For some reason sometimes idle RPM gets to low, hence lower oil pressure needed to operate clutches and shift gears. From top of my head with analogy to cars - oxygen sensor problem or throttle body needs cleaning.
I don't want to think that oil pump is getting bad.

Mine will do the same in d mode. S mode switches more aggressively and doesn't buck. In manual mode if you apply both brakes lightly but firm it will shift down more smoothly than other two modes. It will feel like a smooth click going into 2nd as well as first.
One thing you can do if you are inclined to is hit the downshift paddle to get to 1st gear before you think the bucking is going to happen. I typically ride in manual mode but on wet days or gravel the drive mode is well suited. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has come up in other discussions of the DCT.
It just happens. It seems to be the nature of the beast. Mine does it. I think it does it less so if I have the brake applied but I can't be sure. I have not taken it out in a traffic free place to test over and over again. Maybe I will but then again when I want to ride I want to ride, not test. So I am not sure what I will do.
So far I am just putting up with it.

I am pretty sure the shop people don't see too many NCs and don't know the idiosyncrasies of them well enough to advise.

I wonder what the CTX700 forum says? I'm not a member and it is the same power plant.???

<edit> If you want to look here http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc750-general-discussion/8985-nc750x-dct-shift-points-normal.html or here http://nc700-forum.com/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/9271-dct-continues-impress.html
I think there is some talk of the same thing. I don't remember exactly though.

Last edited:
I think the same thing happens to me but I think it's normal. As you slow down you may be applying varying levels of braking based on the traffic or whatever and the DCT is adjusting to that so it can be in the correct gear ready for accelleration. The DCT is supposed to learn as you use it so it might eventually figure out your driving style and not mis-shift as much. In "S" mode there is so much engine braking that I hardly have to apply the brake and the DCT downshifts more smoothly.

My 2013 NC700XD is hands down the best all around bike I have ever owned in 50+ years of riding and it performs flawlessly except for one intermittent issue.:confused:
Every once in a while, as I am coming to a stop, the DCT seems to hesitate a bit too long to go down into 1st gear, causing the engine to buck a bit before finally dropping into 1st and then neutral.
I'm pretty positive that there is nothing whatsoever that I can do about other than take it in for a check.
Bernd

What you are describing sounds about right for "D-Mode". This mode does things that do not make any sense to me, such as shifting into 6th gear at 40 MPH. Sure this lowers the RPMs, however it makes the engine lug when you have to roll in the throttle. This is one of many reasons I use "S-Mode" over 90% of the time. Reason the bike behaves in a manner that you would most likely operate it and perform most shifts at. I personally like to manually downshift for better control when stopping or based on conditions. I only use "D-Mode" when moving the bike to the front of the house or when I am up to highway speeds on the freeway, otherwise I do not use it.

The final downshift into 1st gear is quite more dramatic in "D-Mode", if you ask me. I've heard and felt the rear wheel "Chirp" or skid many times. It is the nature of beast. Another reason of many others to use "S-Mode".

As I mentioned many times before, not to offend anyone here. D-Mode is referred to by many as "Senior Citizen" mode. It was designed for economy and comfort, not for performance or horsepower. I could see this more easily on something like a Gold Wing, but not much more than that.

Between both NaNCy and Sparky, I have gone "Clutchless" on two wheels. It was a long time coming if you ask me.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am not too concerned with this situation, merely curious. You're right when you say the DCT had some seemingly odd characteristics, but generally, Honda did a superb job with it.
I usually use the D mode because I don't particularly like hearing the engine any more that I have to, and of course the gas mileage. The S mode is fun out on the twisties though.
I usually manually downshift to use the engine compression instead of the brakes, so again, it isn't a big deal.
Thanks again for satisfying my curiosity.:)
Ride safe!
Bernd

One other item.... Pay attention to your throttle. After putting about 2500 miles on Skookum, I started experiencing some occasional 'bucking' when pulling up to a stop. After some fretting, swearing, and worrying - I realized that I was still holding a tiny bit of 'on' throttle. I had purchased some new gloves and with a little less 'feel' (I also have a Crampbuster installed) and I was not completely closing the throttle. Holding just a tiny bit too much throttle while braking to a stop was causing my bucking/lugging.

After sorting that out and making sure that I am at zero throttle, the bucking has stopped.
>T

I only have experience with car DCT's, but they are known for being clunky at parking lot speeds. My Acura has a torque converted attached to it to minimize that, but you still get some odd behavior, like taking off after coming to a slow roll.

DCT's are awesome, but bikes are going to fight the starting slowness due to can't rev the engine to start like with a clutch, so people will see slower 0-60 times. Frankly, any technology that Ferrari uses is alright with me.

I only have experience with car DCT's . . .

DCT's are awesome, but bikes are going to fight the starting slowness due to can't rev the engine to start like with a clutch, so people will see slower 0-60 times.

I don't believe you are correct about the NC700 DCT seeing slower 0-60 times. The NC700 DCTs launch seamlessly. The NC engine does not need to be spun up at launch because the power is immediately available at low RPM. OTOH, most NC700 owners don't really care about 0-60 times anyway.

Bernd

I too get this issue time up to time. I just click the "-" button to overcome that.
It bothered me at the beginning, as I too thought there's something wrong, but nope - DCT worked fine. It's just "its thing", I guess. Don't worry, your DCT is not broken :)

Thanks everyone.:)
Olythom may be close to the mark though about the throttle position. Since it takes virtually zero throttle rotation before the bike starts to move, sort of like an electric bike, that be
a reasonable explanation.

One other item.... Pay attention to your throttle. After putting about 2500 miles on Skookum, I started experiencing some occasional 'bucking' when pulling up to a stop. After some fretting, swearing, and worrying - I realized that I was still holding a tiny bit of 'on' throttle. I had purchased some new gloves and with a little less 'feel' (I also have a Crampbuster installed) and I was not completely closing the throttle. Holding just a tiny bit too much throttle while braking to a stop was causing my bucking/lugging.

After sorting that out and making sure that I am at zero throttle, the bucking has stopped.
>T

+1 I use a CrampBuster and was experiencing a slight bucking coming to a stop. I finally realized I was keeping the throttle slightly open. I adjusted the CrampBuster and the problem went away.

Back