• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Drainage holes in frunk?

salishmoto

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking in the frunk last night I noticed there were gaps around the bottom screws and I didn't look too closely but there were different spaces that seemed intentional. Is the frunk designed to have drainage at the bottom? My concern is that what goes one way can go another. I'll look at it again tonight with more light, but do you know what I'm talking about? I'm inclined to seal those holes with silicone and deal with any incidental water in there with rags instead of having the spray from riding here near Seattle constantly pushing water up into the frunk from those holes I think I'm seeing.

I can't speak for 2021 NCX frunk design, but on my 2012 NC, I have ridden through and left the bike outside in tropical storm hurricane remnants multiple times and there has never been water entering the frunk from either the top or the bottom. I would suggest leaving your frunk holes as is until you have an episode where you do actually encounter water intrusion.

I can't speak for 2021 NCX frunk design, but on my 2012 NC, I have ridden through and left the bike outside in tropical storm hurricane remnants multiple times and there has never been water entering the frunk from either the top or the bottom. I would suggest leaving your frunk holes as is until you have an episode where you do actually encounter water intrusion.
I hear you but can you confirm whether on yours there are these holes?

I've just confirmed that on my 21 there are definitely holes left around the depressions of both bolts at the bottom of the frunk. You can shine light from below right up into it. And they appear OEM and not like a crack or break. The worrying thing is that the face forward. When going highway speeds in rain I don't see how you wouldn't get spray in there. I agree not to do anything until an actual problem arises, and I also see why Honda would install drains in case of spillage, but for us soggy PNW folks, we spend all our time trying to stay dry.

The holes may be to prevent a vacuum when changing altitude which could make it difficult to open. I have seen small holes on side cases for this issue.
That's a good observation, but really, this would only happen upon descending dramatically in altitude, and who in the right mind ever wants to come down from on high?

I have a 2016 and mine doesn’t have gaps or holes. I have removed the frunk twice and never seen anything like you describe.

I have a 2016 and mine doesn’t have gaps or holes. I have removed the frunk twice and never seen anything like you describe.
Then the mystery deepens. Perhaps it was only first done on the 21 when they enlarged the frunk? Let's answer this! Anyone else out there with a 20 who can check? And another 21?

Then the mystery deepens. Perhaps it was only first done on the 21 when they enlarged the frunk? Let's answer this! Anyone else out there with a 20 who can check? And another 21?
How about posting a photo of the holes in the '21 frunk? I can so far only imagine their size and position.

I got this one with 328 miles so I can't complain to be the original owner. What you see is what I got. You can see the strap for the tool bag is toward the bow (sorry, I'm a sailor). Maybe they moved what had been below to the bow to make room to fit the helmets that everyone was clamoring for and which I will never use.

I got this one with 328 miles so I can't complain to be the original owner. What you see is what I got. You can see the strap for the tool bag is toward the bow (sorry, I'm a sailor). Maybe they moved what had been below to the bow to make room to fit the helmets that everyone was clamoring for and which I will never use.
A sailor would call this a locker to really confuse the issue.

The 21 redesigned this compartment but the older bikes had a hole in the very bottom for the push rivet that holds the document compartment closed. The hole is open to the atmosphere plus the battery compartment door in the forward wall is not not watertight. No water ever got in the compartment on any occasion and I've ridden in downpours for hours on end. The previous owner of my 2013 drilled a series of holes in the battery compartment door for some reason and no water ever comes in.

I think your concern is misplaced but you could put it to rest by riding the bike in the rain without anything in the frunk just in case it does leak.

Last edited:
On it. Here you go. Those two at the bottom and you can see light coming in the far side. View attachment 48108
I had to go look in my '21 frunk to see what I think you are talking about. The holes are in the wall of the recess for the bottom screws. My guess is they are for draining and liquids that may get in the frunk.

Last edited:
Did they remove the little compartment for the owner's manual on the bottom of the frunk on the '21s?
Apparently on the '21 NC750X, the "secret" compartment is gone. In the '21 owner's manual, Honda suggests strapping documents to the "maintenance lid" on the frunk wall.

Screenshot (5).png

Are you talking about the recesses for the bolts in the bottom? I would assume they are there to not scratch a helmet if stored in the frunk. It is one of the main selling points that it was enlarged for '21 and will hold a large full-face helmet.

If you are referring to the holes where the wires enter the frunk, those were made by the previous owner/dealer as mine does not have them..
As you can see in the photo, we are talking about the holes most to the rear, at the bottom, and from one of them on the far side you can see a sliver of light coming in. Clearly they are recessed to avoid scratching or rubbing helmets. The question is whether those slits are designed or some crack from when they were mounted. I believe it is designed that way, and am waiting for someone else with a 21 to verify that they have the same slits toward the front of those bolt recesses.

As you can see in the photo, we are talking about the holes most to the rear, at the bottom, and from one of them on the far side you can see a sliver of light coming in. Clearly they are recessed to avoid scratching or rubbing helmets. The question is whether those slits are designed or some crack from when they were mounted. I believe it is designed that way, and am waiting for someone else with a 21 to verify that they have the same slits toward the front of those bolt recesses.
I revised my post above. I have a '21 and verified the slits in the bolt recess. They appear to be a design feature that I would assume to be for drainage.

I always say it on these type of threads, so I'll say it here too...you know, for consistency.

"Worry less, ride more."

No tiny hole in the bottom of that frunk is going to harm anything. If something does happen to get wet in there, it's unlikely to be of any hardcore significance, and at that point you can proceed to silicone the holes up. I have stared at the pic you posted and have no idea where the holes are you speak of either.

I always say it on these type of threads, so I'll say it here too...you know, for consistency.

"Worry less, ride more."

No tiny hole in the bottom of that frunk is going to harm anything. If something does happen to get wet in there, it's unlikely to be of any hardcore significance, and at that point you can proceed to silicone the holes up. I have stared at the pic you posted and have no idea where the holes are you speak of either.
You can barely see it near the top right bolt in the OPs picture. I had to shine a light from under the frunk to see them on mine. They appear to be intentional and probably for drainage.

Washing my NC is probably the biggest chance of any water intrusion and it has not been an issue.

Back