• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Drive Sprocket Bolt: Question?

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having a lot of trouble getting the drive sprocket bolt off this time.

does the bolt loosen when I turn it Right or Left?

Is it the "righty tighty lefty loosey" standard?

I have the manual, and I can find where it tells me how much torque to use, but not which direction loosens the bolt.

Last edited:
If that bolt was a "left hand thread," the manual would certainly specify.

So that means... you think it's NOT left hand thread. I agree.

To make this easier, I've remounted the rear wheel with the new rear sprocket and chain.
My plan is to let the new chain hold the sprocket still so I can attempt to turn the front drive sprocket bolt LEFT.
I think it's just turning right now...

It would have been smarter to loosen the sprocket bolts while the old chain was still in place.
I remembered to do that for the rear sprocket... but, sadly, not the front.

Any ideas on how to do this better?

Std. right-hand thread, meaning turn it left (counter-clockwise) to loosen/remove. In this way, engine drive power can only serve to tighten the bolt, not loosen it.

No luck so far...

I put on the new chain, set the bike on the ground, and tried to turn the drive sprocket bolt LEFT. Wouldn't budge... in fact... it started to roll the motorcycle forward!

So, I had Mrs. StratTuner apply the rear brake while i tried to turn the bolt.

I can see the 14mm socket is beginning to deform. I'm off to the store to buy another one.

Maybe turning it left is tightening? I wish there were a definitive way to know.

(This is why I laugh, quietly and privately, when well-meaning people here tell me I could actually adjust my own valves.)

Last edited:
I have now twisted two different socket adapters in half ... sigh...

I'm out of things to try. ... so now I suppose it's GIVE UP... and call the local mechanic ... see how much he'll charge to come and get my NC, take it to his shop, and do whatever mechanical magical thing they do there.

Maybe it will loosen up if I just wave $200 cash in front of it... hmmm... worth a try....

Std. right-hand thread, meaning turn it left (counter-clockwise) to loosen/remove. In this way, engine drive power can only serve to tighten the bolt, not loosen it.

By the way, the logic of what you just said is faulty... engine power turns that bolt COUNTER-CLOCKWISE....so engine power would serve to loosen not tighten that bolt... which is why I still wonder if it's reversed thread.

On the dirt bikes I raced back in the Dark Ages, I always had to use an impact gun to undo that nut.

I reasoned out that I needed to eliminate the socket adapters. I've destroyed two of them, so they aren't useful in this application.

I found a 14mm socket with a 1/2 inch mount. Mounts directly to the longest wrench.

That worked.

I should be happy, I suppose, but I'm not. Mechanical problems like this just remind me how stupid I am. That doesn't go away when I overcome them.
That's why I'm not a mechanic.

Glad you used your ol' noggin and figgered it out. Another tip for stubborn bolts/nuts: always use 6 point sockets. 12 point sockets are asking for rounded off bolt heads/nuts, plus the sockets break more easily.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Strat! You persevered and accomplished your goal without calamitous occurrence, or need to sacrifice a small fur bearing mammal at an altar.

It's totally a win! Be happy happy :D

Next one will benefit from the memories you store now, and it will eventually become a familiar and recognizable pattern, built up with more and more confidence that you can successfully tackle future potential pitfalls as they arise.

By the way, the logic of what you just said is faulty... engine power turns that bolt COUNTER-CLOCKWISE....

:)

No, engine power turns the _shaft_ counterclockwise, which effectively turns the bolt clockwise due to its inertia and that of the sprocket-wheel assembly.

I'm glad you got the bolt off, Strat.

I reasoned out that I needed to eliminate the socket adapters. I've destroyed two of them, so they aren't useful in this application.

I found a 14mm socket with a 1/2 inch mount. Mounts directly to the longest wrench.

That worked.

I should be happy, I suppose, but I'm not. Mechanical problems like this just remind me how stupid I am. That doesn't go away when I overcome them.
That's why I'm not a mechanic.
Congrats on your perseverance while soliciting sage advice. If you run into the same situation again, open the access to the bolt, ride to any local mechanic, ask them to loosen the bolt with their air impact driver, you retighten sensibly and return home to remove yourself. Should be much cheaper than taking to the dealer.

Ray

Back