• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fork Seal Protectors??

I was going to place my order today, but now I am hesitant since I also have the light bar installed. Thanks SergeantChuck for your input. Can anyone else confirm if there are any problems with the fork protectors combined with the light bar?

I also have the Triumph protectors and really like them. The only issue I had was they are made identical, not a left and a right which means when you put them on the nut is on the right on both. I think it would have been better if both allen heads were on the outside. This is a minor niggle but I am a bit OCD about these little things.

I do not like the rubber boots as they can hold moisture in wet climates and that could lead to premature pitting of the chrome.

I also have the Triumph protectors and really like them. The only issue I had was they are made identical, not a left and a right which means when you put them on the nut is on the right on both. I think it would have been better if both allen heads were on the outside. This is a minor niggle but I am a bit OCD about these little things.
I wrote Triumph about this exact issue. Having the tightening screw on the same side on both protectors makes it difficult to get a tool on one side when tightening. I mentioned they might want to more closely supervise their China Mfg plants.
Never received a reply. But you can't argue with the selling price!

I'm thinking even if they do mildly interfere with anything, a simple trimming by a cat's whisker with an exacto knife or dremel tool whatever would be pretty easily done. The Triumph ones are quite a bit taller than the OEM Honda ones.

A couple millimetres removed wouldn't make any exceedingly unfavourable change to their function.

Ok, finally made it home through a massive thunderstorm and took a video of the interference between the Triumph fork protectors and the Honda light bar. The protectors DO make contact with the bar but the only time they make contact is at FULL LOCK. The angle of the protector and the fact that the light bar is round pushes the protector under the bar and the protector bends. When contact is made it does not hit the bar dead center. It hits the rounded inside edge. The protectors are not ridged and are very flexible. Again, as I said, they only make contact and full lock and under heavy compression of the forks. I don't make it a practice of applying my brakes hard while in a turn and the only time the bars are turned that far is when it is parked. In my opinion it is not an issue. Obviously this is my opinion and everyone else should make there own decision. Mine will be staying on.

[video=youtube_share;f2nWgRw4PzM]http://youtu.be/f2nWgRw4PzM[/video]

I decided to kill some time last night and made myself a set of ultra-cheap fork protectors. I used a 45 degree, 2" dia. PVC pipe fitting cut to shape. The ID of the pipe is about 2.25, and the OD of the fork cylinder at the seal area is about 2.5". Once cut up the back, the fittings clip over the forks and secure in place with their interference fit. No clamps or fasteners needed. They have not moved or loosened yet, but I still keep an eye on them just in case.

Cover your fork tubes with painters tape just to be safe to prevent nicking or scratching the fork tubes.

20140619_013051.jpg

PVC fitting as original.

20140619_013107.jpg

PVC fitting as cut to shape.

20140619_013121.jpg

PVC fitting in place.

20140619_013139.jpg

PVC fitting in place.

20140619_013147.jpg

PVC fitting in place.

20140619_013156.jpg

Painted black final product. Not as tall as the purpose-made Triumph or Honda protectors, but for a grand total of less than $3 in materials and about a hour of garage time, it still better than nothing. Taller protectors can probably be made from pipe unions or Tee fittings, but I had these on hand form another home project anyway.

20140619_044115.jpg

Do I need to order 1 or 2 of these off that linked Triumph website? It does not specify that it comes with a set of 2 or a single one.

HONDABIKEPRO once commented that these (Triumph fork protectors) would not work with the Honda light bar. I don't have the bar so I cannot confirm that statement.

Sure glad I did not see this before I put the Triumph gaiters on my X. I have the light bar and I do not see the problem, not to say that HONDABIKEPRO knows something I do not know that will happen now that they are on the Bike.

Do I need to order 1 or 2 of these off that linked Triumph website? It does not specify that it comes with a set of 2 or a single one.

If someone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. I placed an order for 1 before I realized it doesn't specify the quantity, so I need to contact them ASAP to add another to it before they mail it or I'll be paying another $20 in shipping for the other one if it doesn't come with it.

Thanks!

i bought these on amazon, i will order some shorter ones next.

Daystar F00058-BK-02 Black 11" Long

db364e57d0c98b5ab71cf3a747bdea7d.jpg

i bought these on amazon, i will order some shorter ones next.

Daystar F00058-BK-02 Black 11" Long

db364e57d0c98b5ab71cf3a747bdea7d.jpg

I have one of those, too.

I mean the yellow Goldwing! ;)

Back