Frunk Survey

fiestcr

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious as to how many of you ride around with the Frunk unlocked? I never lock mine unless i have something valuable in there. It doesnt fly open; even on the interstate. Didn't know if i was alone in this.

thanks

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I assume by unlocked, you mean unlatched. Mine is always latched. The one time it wasn't was a oversight. I had to go back a quarter mile and find a lost hat on the highway after it blew open.

On the other hand you can just make the knob key mod and have it "unlocked" but latched.

T S N

Reaction score
Visit site
I made a small key with a knob on it for mine, so it is closed most of the time, with the key in it.
Key gets removed when left alone.

sumo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always lock mine except when I don't. The times that I don't (which is not on purpose) it has not come open. I'm not sure how fast I was going. Maybe the type of windshield you have makes a difference.

Grey1one

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine will stay down with the stock screen, after I put the vStream on something started hit my stomach at about 70 mph.
The air moves differently with the big screen on, I latch it with both now so it becomes a habit every time.

Jumpjet

Reaction score
Visit site
+1

I find that to be true. I had an ErMax that always flew open around 40 mph. Now with my Puig, I've been up to 90 mph and it stayed closed (unlatched). So I leave it unlatched when I ride just in case I need to toss something inside real quick.

mike5100

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished today the knob-key mod for the 2016 bike. The knob seems to need to be smaller than on the older bikes. I would say max 1 inch diameter. And the key is expensive. It cost me £30 ($40) to get a non-chipped key duplicated.
Mike

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesnt fly open; even on the interstate.
Rider faster ;-)

I modified a GL1800 radio button and now I have instant access. One of the cheapest, best mods I did thanks to someone on this forum....

The radio button is a stock GL1800 item and is sorta a rubbery soft material that is super easy to grip w/riding gloves on. I really don't open it while riding (too deep to find anything in it) but a great place to keep my garage door opener and I can keep the bike running while I fish it out.

Last edited:

stormrunner001

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is locked all the time, except when it is parked in my garage. Rode with it unlatched once while I was carrying a large box. It didn't want to fly open at speeds below 45 MPH.

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine opens sometimes, but not every time, if I ride with it unlatched behind the Honda Touring screen. So, I don't ride that way any more.

208rider

Reaction score
designbyparrish.com
I've never ridden with it unlatched, but if I think I may want to get something out while riding, I just put my second key in the frunk lock and remove it when I remove the ignition key. It doesn't look as good as the knob, but it works until I get around to copying the key and making a more integrated looking alternative.

frozenpoet

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had the lid come open while moving. I don't leave it open intentionally, but it happens, usually after leaving a gas station.

L.B.S.

Fixed Idea
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With my dduelin trunk key mod, I would never imagine needing to leave the lid unlatched. If I had to only rely on taking the ignition key out in order to open the thing, ya, I can see where there might be a desire- right up until the point of making the key knob mod.

Generally I'm a bit too OCD to leave things unlatched in the first place, though. If I'm feeling a bit twitchy in my parking location and I have valuables left in the trunk, then I will take out the key knob and carry it away with me just to be on the safe side.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With my dduelin trunk key mod, I would never imagine needing to leave the lid unlatched. If I had to only rely on taking the ignition key out in order to open the thing, ya, I can see where there might be a desire- right up until the point of making the key knob mod.

Generally I'm a bit too OCD to leave things unlatched in the first place, though. If I'm feeling a bit twitchy in my parking location and I have valuables left in the trunk, then I will take out the key knob and carry it away with me just to be on the safe side.
If I feel the spidy sense to lock and secure the frunk I drop the frunk key in the frunk and lock it up. The ignition key retrieves the frunk key later.

potter0o

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I try to keep mine latched. I have had it open at higher speeds when not properly latched. Lost some insurance papers that I wasn't going to go back to get.