• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Honda touring windscreen. Anyone use one? If so would like to hear about your experience.

Havok

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about purchasing the Honda touring windscreen.
I know the forum is big fans of the Madstad brand.
I will never ride far enough at one time to justify the cost. So I am look at something a little taller to get the wind over the helmet or at least above eye level.

Anyone own a Honda touring windscreen? If so what is your opinion?

Thinking about purchasing the Honda touring windscreen.
I know the forum is big fans of the Madstad brand.
I will never ride far enough at one time to justify the cost. So I am look at something a little taller to get the wind over the helmet or at least above eye level.

Anyone own a Honda touring windscreen? If so what is your opinion?
I have one and I am very pleased with it I am 1,82cm tall and the wind is on top of my helmet

I also run the Givi screen on my 2021 and am happy with it. Think I paid $119 for it if memory serves me. I’m only about 5’6 though.

I mocked up a cardboard screen the same size and taped it to the stock screen and took it for a test ride before my purchase to make sure it would do the job.

I also installed the Givi D1192ST 54cm as well. I had the taller Honda screen previously and the Givi was a significant improvement. I purchased it off of RevZilla for about $134.00 or so. I’m 5’9”.

I have the honda touring on my black NC700X DCT and the 48cm Puig on the Red 2015 NC700X DCT which had the stock windscreen when I got it. Both are light years better than the stock screen , but I'm only 5' 9" tall

I did not like the GIVI one, I am keeping the taller windscreen from Honda which it has a better aerodynamic penetration than the GIVI.
I am 1.75cm tall.

Windscreen selection is a very subjective thing. A lot depends on your height but also the length of your seated upper body. For instance the other day I test rode the new Transalp. I found the screen very good on it. Some six foot testers found it to be terrible. A friend who is shorter then me wants rid of it also because it is too tall for him.

Over on the Strom forum there are several windscreen threads. Everyone has different ideas, lots of which are perfectly valid, but not necessarily good for any one individual. Then there are also the variables on the bike, how much air is getting under the screen like was happening on my X-Adv causing buffeting, how are the mirrors affecting the operation of the screen, how much air is coming up the steering tunnel etc etc.

The screen on my 2016 Strom was dire from the getgo for me. I then searched all the windscreen threads. I also googled extensively. I then rated the various options. The Givi Airflow came out on top. The modified screen on the '18 Strom came in second and on down the line for the various products. The Airflow would be too tall for me. Accordingly I purchased the '18 Strom screen because it bolted straight on and got enough votes to be second. It was a significant improvement.

So, take on board the suggestions on here, all of which are valid from the various owners, but also do plenty of research. Its a real pain when You get another screen and find out that its no better or even worse than what You had.

Back in 2013 I ordered the Honda accessory screen for my former NC700X and I reckon it also was a significant improvement. I am 5'8" with a 32" inseam so I am shorter upper body.

The stock screen didn't work for me at all, it was too tall in the summer and too short for trips and winter. I bought a stock screen from a forum member who also wasn't happy with it and cut it down for a summer screen, and bought the Givi for a winter/touring screen. It's in the 80's and 90's now, and no trips planned until the end of August, so I have the short summer screen on. Luckily with the 21 DCT there are 4 just allen bolts and well nuts and changing a shield from one to the other takes a non-mechanically inclined guy like me 5 minutes at the most.

sb2eIGJh.jpg

Windshields are like seats, the manufacturers haven’t been making them long enough to know how to do it right.

Windshields are like seats, the manufacturers haven’t been making them long enough to know how to do it right.
They’ve had a few decades now. How long do you think they’ll need to learn how to do it right?

There are two problems, in my opinion. First, a windshield or seat that works for one person may not work for another. They can’t please everyone. Second, both seats and windshields are sometimes used as styling components that fit into the overall look of the machine, not so much as functional pieces. The manufacturer could and knows how to make a functional windshield, but the look of the bike would make it unattractive on the showroom floor.

They’ve had a few decades now. How long do you think they’ll need to learn how to do it right?

There are two problems, in my opinion. First, a windshield or seat that works for one person may not work for another. EXACTLY! They can’t please everyone. EXACTLY! Second, both seats and windshields are sometimes used as styling components that fit into the overall look of the machine, not so much as functional pieces. EXACTLY! The manufacturer could and knows how to make a functional windshield, but the look of the bike would make it unattractive on the showroom floor. EXACTLY!

I don't even know what the stock wind shield looks like and or how it functions. I purchased my '20 NC750X DCT a few months ago with a Puig windshield on it. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and the bike of course, has the stock seat on it. Well, I can tell you the Puig one I have (Whichever one it is), does ZERO for wind deflection off my face etc. Sooooo, I decided to try the Puig wind screen addition. Well, that was a wasted $100+ dollars! I'm still getting blasted in the face. But, this NC is not a Goldwing with a windscreen the size of a car on it. It's a micro-sized windscreen and it's only gonna provide so much deflection. I've just accepted whatever type of deflection it affords and call it a day.
Scott

I think most guys that have windshields want to totally block the wind from hitting them, but it takes one heck of a windscreen to pull that off, both in height and width, especially if you are over 5'10". Like 670 said, that big of a screen does not look good from an proportional perspective on the sales floor, so they put on a shield that does look in perspective. Then the aftermarket comes along to fulfill the needs/wants of the customer. The stock shield on an NC absolutely looks like it belongs on there proportionally. Unfortunately for many of us, it doesn't fulfill our needs or expectations with regards to wind management.

Yiiiiip,
Some decent sunglasses (that help with both vision and keeping pervasive windshoots from entering your eyeballs) help immensely. Then, if needed, some decent ear plugs or sound ear buds of some type and, I'm good, even with the Puig equipment I have. I red all about the same issues and complaints on the Africa Twin forum. Many complained about the wind blasting them. Well, with a wind screen the size of dinner plate, what does one expect? Soooo, if you're a shorter rider, and some form of an aftermarket windscreen will help you out, great. But, for us taller dudes, ain't much gonna help. Suck it up buttercup!
Scott

Being a 5-11 newbie the stock screen was killing me at 55mph or above in turbulance till i couldnt hear my helmut headset. The tall honda screen fixed that to just turbulence around the top of my helmut and 70mph is great now. The tall screen is also superior in quality polycarbonate with hardcoat and cleaner optics. Not regretting this mod at all.

Back