• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Horizons Unlimited Stecoah, NC

Last minute, but got my full registration in.
First time to HU and don't know what to expect,
but it doesn't matter because there is no better
excuse to get up there.;)

There is plenty to do, and plenty of places to ride.

Last year, I rode Thursday and Friday, and Saturday was not a nice day out so I spent it on site in seminars. The talks and seminars are GREAT. They have them scheduled the whole time. But remember, there is Tail of the Dragon, Moonshiner28 and Cherohala Skyway all begging to be ridden, and easily done in a single day. I went on Friday last year to Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley.

I will be up Wednesday afternoon, leaving Sunday morning. I was only able to get a bunk Wednesday night, they were full up, so I will be camping, or crashing on one of the couches if the weather sucks too bad. Looks to be like a fairly good week, so far.

I'll be there on the Black NC700 with DCT. Givi Tailbox and in the white/gray Klim suit.

I decided against formally registering for the HU, at least for now, but I'll probably be camping at KSL and looking for y'all to tag along on some rides. We may need to exchange some phone numbers to text announcements for riding plans. Weather permitting and all, I hope to get in Wednesday about dusk.

Left this morning from home in Oregon, (yes, it was raining). I'll be cutting down from SLC thru MOAB, Utah tomorrow, heading for I40.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1209457f07f189c357&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Ray

Your spot is working. Guess you run I40 most the way. I have appointments Tuesday morning. If all goes OK, I have high hopes of taking off around noon on Tuesday. So, if I do some night riding it will be sometime on Thureday before I will get there if all goes well on Tuesday morning. Try to save me a place if you can, if I can not go I will let you know. I just do not know until sometime Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
I can't wait till I retire so I can go to as many of these as I want! I will be sitting this one out again... yall have fun! Will likely see some of you in April at the Appomattox HU meet again.
This place has fantastic ambiance for riders! Enjoy!

OCR, take care of yourself on this one! Look forward to seeing you again, cant wait for some more stories. I dont think there is anything but full cabins available at this point. I have a bunk Wednesday night, but will be tenting the next 3. Maybe if enough of us are there, we could rent out a cabin, but too expensive for just me to do.

The forecast is still good through the weekend, but I moved my plans forward one day anyway. I'll still check in with the Iron Horse crowd on Friday and maybe Thursday. Since it is getting into leaf-peeper season in the mountains, the accommodations fill up and slow cars (usu. from Florida) clog the nice roads. No slight on my good Florida buds, but just check the license plates on the slow-movers and see. The process is that people from the Northeast retire to Florida for the milder weather. Then they get to missing the change of seasons and vacation up in Western NC in the fall. Eventually they sell the place in Florida to a new retiree and buy a place in Western NC (further running up the house prices). The locals call them "halfbacks" because they have moved halfway back to where they started.

The riding and rates are better mid-week. As a retired guy not tied to the H.U. meet, that's what I am doing.

Last edited:
The forecast is still good through the weekend, but I moved my plans forward one day anyway. I'll still check in with the Iron Horse crowd on Friday and maybe Thursday. Since it is getting into leaf-peeper season in the mountains, the accommodations fill up and slow cars (usu. from Florida) clog the nice roads. No slight on my good Florida buds, but just check the license plates on the slow-movers and see. The process is that people from the Northeast retire to Florida for the milder weather. Then they get to missing the change of seasons and vacation up in Western NC in the fall. Eventually they sell the place in Florida to a new retiree and buy a place in Western NC (further running up the house prices). The locals call them "halfbacks" because they have moved halfway back to where they started.

The riding and rates are better mid-week. As a retired guy not tied to the H.U. meet, that's what I am doing.
I do hope the rain stays out of the area for HU. We look forward to dated events and have to deal with what comes.

I go to the Smokies once or sometimes twice in the fall and for the reasons Lee mentioned I stay off the roads crowded with leaf peepers. There are plenty of uncrowded roads to enjoy particularly in VA and WV. Makes western NC positively crowded by comparison.

Since it is getting into leaf-peeper season in the mountains, the accommodations fill up and slow cars (usu. from Florida) clog the nice roads. No slight on my good Florida buds, but just check the license plates on the slow-movers and see.
Heard a guy from Branson, Missouri say when he retired he was going to buy the biggest motorhome he could afford and go drive around Iowa at 5mph to get even.

I have appointments Tuesday morning. If all goes OK, I have high hopes of taking off around noon on Tuesday.

Good luck convincing the doc you are a tough old bird who can handle the trip on a new knee and we can see you Thursday. Need you there with me at 3:00 PM Saturday so I can talk trash while Navy beats up on Houston.

Good luck convincing the doc you are a tough old bird who can handle the trip on a new knee and we can see you Thursday. Need you there with me at 3:00 PM Saturday so I can talk trash while Navy beats up on Houston.

ah, Navy couldn't beat up on Air Force (yea, go Air Force), no way they going to beat up on Houston. You guys have a fun time in the Smokies and hope the hurricane stays off the coast. Mother Nature getting even-hmm, 11 years for Florida not to be hit my hurricane and may now have 2 hits within 30 days of each other.

ah, Navy couldn't beat up on Air Force (yea, go Air Force), no way they going to beat up on Houston. You guys have a fun time in the Smokies and hope the hurricane stays off the coast. Mother Nature getting even-hmm, 11 years for Florida not to be hit my hurricane and may now have 2 hits within 30 days of each other.
It can't rain much harder than the ride we took together last spring from Kickstand Lodge. The BBQ was really good that day in Cashiers!

It can't rain much harder than the ride we took together last spring from Kickstand Lodge. The BBQ was really good that day in Cashiers!
That was a pretty good downpour; the bbq was good but the warm restaurant was a reprieve from that cold rain. Be safe guys, if it rains, it will be a double wammy for slick roads, rain and wet leaves....

Back