• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How does the large windshield handle in a head wind

rp2010

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the stock little windshield and encounter strong head winds on my daily commute, I get bounced around a lot and was wondering how a larger windshield will handle, better? Worse? If anyone has experienced strong winds and has a larger windshield, I would appreciate your feedback.

I'm 195 cm (6'5") and have the Honda Touring windshield. I dont get bounced around, the downside is that there is a lot of buffeting. But its not a problem because i always use earplugs.

Living in Nebraska there is almost always a southern or northern wind. I have not had a problem except for the buffeting that has already been mentioned. My wife's Shadow 750 has a lot more trouble with the side winds. The NC would blow around a bit but it was very controllable, even at 70-80 mph. All that said I'm still thinking of getting a taller aftermarket shield.

I have the Honda tall shield. I am 5'10", and I get buffeted with wind. Going to wear ear plugs from now on. I don't like cross winds. I do get pushed around a little. It's controllable.

Ken

Last edited:
I have the stock little windshield and encounter strong head winds on my daily commute, I get bounced around a lot and was wondering how a larger windshield will handle, better? Worse? If anyone has experienced strong winds and has a larger windshield, I would appreciate your feedback.

I've been through the Banning Pass (famous for strong winds) twice: once with the stock and once with a larger full sized. The bike still gets blown around the lane, but your body doesn't get slammed as hard. It makes a big difference and it also helps with fuel efficiency.

The full force air stream hits just about the top of the helmet for me right above the visor.
If I ride at 70mph, then put my left finger up in front of my belt buckle, then slowly move my hand straight up, you can feel it when you hit the unshielded air stream.

Replacing the stock windscreen was the first change I made. Here's the Link to how that developed.

A large windshield imparts additional sail area to the motorcycle but not necessarily to the combination of rider/vehicle. Chances are in a headwind situation that the rear-swept windshield is more aerodynamic that your upper torso with your arms out. Thus the large shield will "handle a headwind" much better. However, winds come in other varieties - crosswind, front and rear quartering wind, and tailwind. I find that in crosswinds and rear-quartering winds that the large windshield works against you a bit. It is not nearly as bad with a frame mounted windshield like the NC would have as it is with a handlebar mounted windshield where it is directly attached to your steering points. The best easy example of a rear quartering wind is getting passed on the interstate by a high-balling 18-wheeler. You will be pushed to the outside more with a large windshield than without because the pressure wave is hitting the back (cupped) side of the windshield (which is shaped remarkably like a sail). You will also be pulled into the following vacuum more than without. So an important technique is to just let the wind carry you to the outside a bit and don't react to it, because if you do, you may be steering "in" when the vacuum wave hits and pulls you farther than you intended to go. I know of a fatal accident that came from this reaction to a truck pressure/vacuum wave.

You will find the large windshield generally more comfortable in winds (especially headwinds) and you will need to learn how it affects the motorcycle's stability in other situations.

A large windshield imparts additional sail area to the motorcycle but not necessarily to the combination of rider/vehicle. Chances are in a headwind situation that the rear-swept windshield is more aerodynamic that your upper torso with your arms out. Thus the large shield will "handle a headwind" much better. However, winds come in other varieties - crosswind, front and rear quartering wind, and tailwind. I find that in crosswinds and rear-quartering winds that the large windshield works against you a bit. It is not nearly as bad with a frame mounted windshield like the NC would have as it is with a handlebar mounted windshield where it is directly attached to your steering points. The best easy example of a rear quartering wind is getting passed on the interstate by a high-balling 18-wheeler. You will be pushed to the outside more with a large windshield than without because the pressure wave is hitting the back (cupped) side of the windshield (which is shaped remarkably like a sail). You will also be pulled into the following vacuum more than without. So an important technique is to just let the wind carry you to the outside a bit and don't react to it, because if you do, you may be steering "in" when the vacuum wave hits and pulls you farther than you intended to go. I know of a fatal accident that came from this reaction to a truck pressure/vacuum wave.

You will find the large windshield generally more comfortable in winds (especially headwinds) and you will need to learn how it affects the motorcycle's stability in other situations.

I really can relate to these comments. About 17 miles of my commute to work is on interstate around Little Rock. I come across a lot of 18-Wheelers. I have noticed a difference in the reaction of my bike around the big trucks when I went from the Honda Touring Screen to the Puig Screen. I think most of it relates to the aerodynamics you mentioned. Less wind hitting my body. I deal with crosswinds more than anything and I would agree the large screen does assist in pushing me around the lane. I compare this to my CBR experiences and I don't remember getting pushed around near as much as I do on this bike. Like you also mentioned, I have found that the more I have gotten comforatable with this bike the less effect the 18-Wheelers are having on pulling me and pushing as I pass them. I think I am doing exactly as you stated. I'm really not reacting to it, just riding the wave.

Windshield: Transparent shielding located in front of the occupant of a vehicle to protect them from the wind.

Never had a frame mounted windshield affect handling, but wind gust can be felt with a handle bar mounted windshield.4.jpg

smileyconsider.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the medium sized parabellum. Im 5-8, 30 inch inseam. Found the parabellum worked ok on headwind but not so good in crosswind. Cut it down several times so now 19 inch high and seems like good compromise. I actually liked the short stock screen...seemed to reduce front blast with minimal buffeting. I think the nc does better with low screens.

Tom

Buffeting is the only issue I've had with the tall Honda shield and that's mostly at 70+mph.
Gusty crosswinds and passing semi trucks are what bother most.

At the end of this past June, I was headed south on Nevada 93 and then I-15 into Las Vegas. I was in 5th on I-15 and trying to maintain 70 - 75 mph when I ran into the worst headwind I've ever felt. I swear it was trying to bend my CalSci med. windscreen over across the middle and back toward me. It never actually succeeded (I think), but it sure was trying. Needless to say, the bike was getting a little hard to handle just then, too. Never any problems with either the windscreen or the handling before or since, but for those few miles into Vegas, I was sweating it (of course, it being Vegas and June didn't help the sweating, either...).

Back